MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Batman Platform Game (unreleased)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccovell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Batman Platform Game (unreleased) Reply with quote

Hi, folks. I came across some amazing pictures in an old Famicom magazine. I'll let my page speak for itself:

http://disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secrets10.html
Thibaut
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! Thank you very much Chris to show us those pictures !
Keranu
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap that's awesome! I kind of thought something like this had to be the case for the PCE Batman.
sideshow
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Batman for PC Engine was surely a huge dissapointment. Sunsoft most likely concentrated on the Megadrive version. The Megadrive version had some very good music and great gameplay. Too bad the PC Engine got the last straw out of the lot. Rolling Eyes
Keranu
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the music tracks we got in the PCE Batman that was released were the same in the Batman that was planned? If so, the Batman that was planned would've really been a kick ass game Very Happy . Damn I love those tracks.
fragmare

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H o l y

F u c k i n g

S h i t !

Those pics look awesome! I could not have drawn them any better myself. Why did they scrap this beautiful platformer for a generic maze game? WHY?

(Frozen Utopia resurrection project, anyone? Very Happy )
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This decision only proves that to be an exec in any big company you don't need brains...

And I will NOT start any jokes on that subject...

Too easy.

Nuff said.
Keranu
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fragmare wrote:

Sorry, we're stuck with three games at the moment :\ . You can resurrect the project if you want Very Happy . We have considered the possibilities of revising other canned projects using the limited info we know, like the Bonk RPG.
fragmare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keranu wrote:
fragmare wrote:

Sorry, we're stuck with three games at the moment :\ . You can resurrect the project if you want Very Happy . We have considered the possibilities of revising other canned projects using the limited info we know, like the Bonk RPG.

Hehe. Unfortunately, MindRec doesn't do covers/sequels of licensed software or create games based on licensed products (i.e. Batman). Not that Bt or I have any personal qualms about it, but the people who own the intellectual property rights just might. Still, though, there are a few arcade games I wouldn't mind attempting to port to the PC-Engine one day as side projects not affiliated with MindRec. I would, of course, draw/convert the graphics. Problem is, I don't know how to code, but I'm sure I can find help with that if push comes to shove. Here's the list of games I'd like to help make PC-Engine games one day....

R-Type II (Arcade) - Many things could be recycled from the TG16 R-Type like some sounds, some graphics, control code, etc. Some people would probably ask "Why R-Type II? It's the weakest R-Type game", but it's just something I've always wanted to see done on the PC-E, since Irem totally blew the "R-Type II Remix" that is Super R-Type on the SNES.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) - One of the best sidescrolling beat-em-up games of all time! Every other 16-bit era console had a decent TMNT game except the PC-E. Why not give it the original? Smile

Mortal Kombat (Arcade) - Midway supposedly offered to develop MK exclusively for the PCE/TG16, but NEC turned them down. Not that I think MK is the greatest fighting game or anything, but I'd still like to see it on the PCE as it's something that very well could have been made, if not for NEC's blundering.

Dark Seal (Arcade) - A fun little isometric adventure game that's like a mix between Land Stalker and Cadash. I believe the arcade board even runs on suped up PC-Engine hardware.

Magic Crystals (Arcade) - Another fun little arcade action/puzzle game. This one might also run on PCE hardware.

These are all mainly just pipe dreams, but maybe one day when I have more free time I can rally some support and work on making one of these titles for the PC-Engine. Until then, I'm hard at work on our current MindRec projects.

Last edited by fragmare on Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Batman Platform Game (unreleased) Reply with quote

ccovell wrote:
Hi, folks. I came across some amazing pictures in an old Famicom magazine. I'll let my page speak for itself:

http://disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secrets10.html
Wow! Great find Very Happy

At some point, Sunsoft decided not to do a platformer Batman for PCE...

Any chance that Sunsoft had a partially completed maze game lying around and simply slapped a Batman license on it to get the PCE version out on time? Groundless speculation, of course... but a similar thing happened with EA and Shaq Fu (supposedly), so who knows?
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fragmare wrote:
Keranu wrote:
fragmare wrote:

Hehe. Unfortunately, MindRec doesn't do covers/sequels of licensed software or create games based on licensed products (i.e. Batman). Not that Bt or I have any personal qualms about it, but the people who own the intellectual property rights just might. Still, though, there are a few arcade games I wouldn't mind attempting to port to the PC-Engine one day as side projects not affiliated with MindRec. I would, of course, draw/convert the graphics. Problem is, I don't know how to code, but I'm sure I can find help with that if push comes to shove. Here's the list of games I'd like to help make PC-Engine games one day....

R-Type II (Arcade) - Many things could be recycled from the TG16 R-Type like some sounds, some graphics, control code, etc. Some people would probably ask "Why R-Type II? It's the weakest R-Type game", but it's just something I've always wanted to see done on the PC-E, since Irem totally blew the "R-Type II Remix" that is Super R-Type on the SNES.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) - One of the best sidescrolling beat-em-up games of all time! Every other 16-bit era console had a decent TMNT game except the PC-E. Why not give it the original? Smile

Mortal Kombat (Arcade) - Midway supposedly offered to develop MK exclusively for the PCE/TG16, but NEC turned them down. Not that I think MK is the greatest fighting game or anything, but I'd still like to see it on the PCE as it's something that very well could have been made, if not for NEC's blundering.

Dark Saviour (Arcade) - A fun little isometric adventure game that's like a mix between Land Stalker and Cadash. I believe the arcade board even runs on suped up PC-Engine hardware.

Magic Crystals (Arcade) - Another fun little arcade action/puzzle game. This one might also run on PCE hardware.

These are all mainly just pipe dreams, but maybe one day when I have more free time I can rally some support and work on making one of these titles for the PC-Engine. Until then, I'm hard at work on our current MindRec projects.

Actually, we've talked specifically about the TMNT arcade game, along with 1 & 3(adding 2 players to the 1st game). They really shouldn't be hard to do at all. But Nod doesn't know, how many players for sure we can pull off, it'd be great, if we can do 4, it'd be wierd, if we could do 3 but I'd still do it, since it's unofficial anyways. And if we must, we'd bring it down to 2. But also, I thought about capturing the original opening from the show, for the Turbo version. Along with voice samples from the show! But this, along with some other projects, we do have to be careful about, & if we ever did them, keep them quiet, until released(for free ofcoarse, since we don't own the rights to any of it).

As for Mortal Kombat, it was actually NEC of Japan(or maybe Hudson, depends on if that was during the TTI days), that said specificlly, that American gamers wouldn't want that, & that was apparently a common thing for them to say, from what I recall TTI's sec. telling me.

Oh, & who knows, if we can dig up more info on this game, or maybe even someday find a rom, then maybe we would complete it, or atleast do something similar. Personally, the NES Batman is another game I'd love to redo(well, for me, that would be the music, but I want a full TG Batman to play!).
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a hack of an existing platformer. One title that spring to mind is Darkwing Duck...
nodtveidt
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was messaged recently by someone claiming to have an unfinished version of an ACD MK for the PCE. He promised me a couple of screenshots within the next few days. I think he's full of it, but there's no way to know without actually seeing what he comes up with...if anything at all.
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think he's full of it. I remember someone telling me specifically about what happened to MK, & I think it was Eun(TTI's secretary). It's always possible that she was wrong I suppose.......which for some reason reminds me, has anyone actually ever seen Pit Fighter for the Turbo?? I remember hearing it was going to be a card, but then was made into a cd.
Thibaut
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much nodtveidt !!
I am very impatient de see them !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: