MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

WinXP on intel macs (dualboot) + magicengine anyone..?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
airzonk81

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: WinXP on intel macs (dualboot) + magicengine anyone..? Reply with quote

So I'm now even more convinced my next computer will be a MacBook Pro, now that there is an official way to dual-boot Windows (believe it or not, one oh my main reasons for keeping a PC as my primary desktop is for MagicEngine)...

Has anyone booted into WinXP using Apple's new BootCamp software, and if so, how does ME perform? As well as I'd expect...? =]

DaemonTools working well, etc etc...?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences...

I'm hoping there will be a VMware-style virtualization product for Mac OS X which will allow booting another OS from *within* Mac OS X....without the peformance penalty of having to emulate the x86 architecture, this time. Smile

Happy Gaming,
Gabe
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been keeping up on the Mac side of things lately, but even if you have an x86 processor, don't you still need to emulate the south/north bride and other hardware that's PC specific?
airzonk81

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong; but the only significant difference between the intel Macs and a standard-issue PC is the use of EFI instead of a traditional PC BIOS. There are probably a lot of other subtle things but basically it's a PC--all standard issue PC components, including graphics, sound, I/O, etc. chipsets...

BootCamp (as I understand) basically just provides intel Mac owners with a mechanism to burn all the appropriate drivers to a disc which can be used at install time, and preps EFI to emulate a standard PC BIOs for windows, or maybe apple uses a licensed bios(?)

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these myself...

-G
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, if these new Macs can run Windows then why pay the "Apple premium price"? just stick with what works Wink
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I still need a Mac OS is for Final Cut pro 4. Are they going to release a PC compatible version of Mac OS along side the Apple intel-box version?
r0ni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic but ME does run full speed through Virtual PC 7 on a ppc OSX machine.

While, a native release would be nice, I keep VPC7 installed with win98 to use a few windows apps I no longer have access to on OSX and I was very surprised to see how well ME ran on it.

Since the release of Boot Camp and Apple's switch to x86, I wonder if this will speed up or put an end to the OSX version of ME?
rolins
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could also use Mednafen. It runs natively on OSX and it's darn fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: