MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

What video settings do you use ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyrh
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: What video settings do you use ?? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody has come across the best video configuration that would be closest to playing a game on a real PC Engine . . .particularly CD versions ??

Somehow full screen minus scanlines give most games a rather pixellated look . . .trouble is, I'm not too keen on the scanlines either !! Mad

I'm too bone idle to try every variation in the video config - so I'd appreciate some advice. It's certainly worth the effort because ME is one of the best emus ever . . . Very Happy
Tomasz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is to run with both bilinear and hires filtering turned on. Of course, vsync should also be turned on.

Bilinear alone is too blurry and hires alone is too sharp; together, they seem just right... at least to me. I generally don't use scanlines.

However, this all depends on your taste, monitor size/type, etc.
masvil
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomasz wrote:
vsync should also be turned on.

Vsync mode 1 or mode 2?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better leave it off, but if you really need it (ie: if you can spot serious tearings during scrollings), I'd advise to use mode 2.
Tomasz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari, why do you recommend turning vsync off?

The only potential issue I can see is that if you're monitor runs >60 Hz then vsync mode 1 will make the games too fast. In that case, mode 2 should be used. However, LCD monitors now typically run at 60 Hz and so this isn't much of an issue, unless you have a CRT.

Are there any other timing issues with vsync? I know that normal NTSC is slightly less than 60 Hz - reflected by the frame delay setting... I wonder if running vsync at 60/s causes any minor timing issues with this... I'll have to do some testing, unless someone knows the answer.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomasz wrote:
if you're monitor runs >60 Hz then vsync mode 1 will make the games too fast. In that case, mode 2 should be used.

That's why I suggested mode 2 ;)

Though mode 2 only works correctly in fullscreen -- for some reason, using mode 2 in a window produces noticeable lags in some games. That's why I recommend to disable it when possible.

Indeed, I'm using a CRT. Although LCD is great for productivity, I can't stand it for emulation purposes.
airzonk81

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCDs make games cry. =/

Nothing like a good tube...

Hrm. With the PS3 out later this year it looks like this is the year i plunge for an HDTV... (probably a CRT one tho)...

-G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: