MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Gulliver Boy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Gulliver Boy Reply with quote

The game freezes when you look at the Atlantis Tapestry in the Venice Royal Palace (after the flooding). Too bad I don't have a save state to help hunting this bug.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems more generic and related to streaming PCM (again).

In Gulliver and many other games (Kabuki, etc) with streaming PCM, I'm experiencing random 'freezing' during spoken dialogues. The freezing typically occurs during the CD access between the end of a dialogue and the loading of the following one.

Usually, when ME encounters a CD read error (because of bad ASPI or whatever), the game resets to the Super CD boot screen. But here, there's no such thing. When I say 'freezing', it's more like the game stops accessing the CD and the pad becomes inoperative (except for the soft reset). The strange bit is that the game itself is obviously still working (you can see the people walk around and so on).

I'd say this happens one time out of five and isn't easy to track.

I'm sending you a batch of save states of different events in the game. For each event, the first save state is the one that will allow you to (eventually) experience the problem, the second save state is the one when the game has just frozen.

I tried to check every possible hardware and software culprit outside ME. I tested on my CD-ROM and my CD-R; I tested in UDMA, PIO, 40x, 4x, even 1x, BIOS Plug'n Play activated or not... debug log activated or not Wink

Same result each time. Whatever the setting, most of the time it works, but one time out of five it freezes. The only thing I couldn't test is ASPI versus SPTI, since ME forces SPTI under W2k. But I suspect it wouldn't do much of a difference.

Incidentally, I also experienced some curious dropouts in PCM dialogues. The sound suddenly stops in the middle of a dialogue but the text continues to display, and the next dialogue is OK again. It might be related to the problem above.

Hope you can find something from this.

PS: sorry for the mail, it's quite big in size Sad
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, your mail server didn't like it Razz

I put them here temporarily:

[links removed]

Last edited by Kaminari on Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
The only thing I couldn't test is ASPI versus SPTI, since ME forces SPTI under W2k. But I suspect it wouldn't do much of a difference.

There's a secret option to force ASPI use under Win2k, add 'use_aspi=y' in the [cdrom] section in the .ini file. Wink

But I don't believe that it's a CD-ROM problem, it looks like more an interrupt problem, I know that my interrupt code is not 100% ok, too many games freeze like that, they are either waiting for an interrupt that will never be triggered or they missed the interrupt they were waiting... I need to run more tests on a true PC-Engine and do some comparison.

Thanks for the save states (got all of them), I hope they will help.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll test in ASPI mode as well.

Good luck, I have complete faith in your capabilities Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: