MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Importing Save Files from other PC-Engine Emus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyeWelse
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Importing Save Files from other PC-Engine Emus Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if there was any possible way to import, convert or somehow use a savestate or save file SRM file from emus such as Hugo or MednafenX so that a game can be loaded up at a certain point using Magic Engine.

The game in question is Xak I & II in which my MednafenX/Hugo file extensions are a series of numbered .sp files as well as a .key and .srm file. I'd like to somehow load my file at the end so that I can take highquality screenshots for an upcoming Xak series fansite I'm throwing together.

If there isn't, is there anyone who can explain how the file extensions for savestates and SRM savefiles written when created in Magic Engine? I tried finding the main save file (not save state), but I'm not exactly sure where an actual save file is stored and or how it is named.

Edit: I had another question regarding Xak III in that it seems to be freezing Magic Engine at the title screen. Has anyone else had this problem and perhaps know how to fix it?

Also I seem to have posted this in the wrong general forum. I tried looking to see if I could delete it and reposting it there, but I don't think I have that option turned on. Perhaps a moderator could move it there when they get the chance.

Thanks for your help,
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing Save Files from other PC-Engine Emus Reply with quote

SkyeWelse wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if there was any possible way to import, convert or somehow use a savestate or save file SRM file from emus such as Hugo or MednafenX so that a game can be loaded up at a certain point using Magic Engine. [...]

You can try this :

1/ search the 'backup_ram' option in the pce.ini file, change it to old mode : backup_ram=0

2/ copy the HuGo!/Mednafen .SRM file in MagicEngine folder and rename it to 'backup.ram'

then run MagicEngine and try to load a saved game in Xak, this should work I think.

Quote:
Edit: I had another question regarding Xak III in that it seems to be freezing Magic Engine at the title screen. Has anyone else had this problem and perhaps know how to fix it?

Was Xak run with a System Card ROM or with Magic System?
SkyeWelse
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, though unfortunately I'm still not able to figure it out. See, the .srm file is 1k in size and when it is written it makes a .key file of the same title/name as the .srm file. I tried looking into the PCE.ini file and tried changing what you said, but it seemed like it was already written that way:

Quote:
;

esc_key_mode=

;
; backup ram format
; --
; 0 -> old format (backup.ram)
; 1 -> new format (backup.dat, backup.idx) [default]
;

backup_ram=1

# ----
# emulation settings
# ----

I named each of these two files to both "backup.ram" and "backup.dat" and tried them each consectutively. I also tried changing "backup_ram=1" to "backup_ram=0", but all it did was seem to yell at me telling me that I had no ram for this option, or any option that required me starting the game without a "backup.dat" file in the Magic Engine directory. Changing my .key and .srm files to "backup.dat" did not seem to work when trying to load a game.

And I was able to get Xak III to work finally, thanks. It was a problem with loading .mp3s versus .wav files.

-SkyeWelse
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I thought the .srm file would use the same format as MagicEngine backup.ram file... OK, could you e-mail me the save files you have? (info@magicengine.com) I will have a look at them.
SkyeWelse
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. Thanks for the help! I'll email them to you tonight.

-SkyeWelse
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I found the problem, the .srm file does have the same format as ME 'backup.ram' file but it is compressed, ME needs it uncompressed. Rename the .srm file to .gz and open it with Winzip (or any program that can open gzipped files) and uncompress it. Then you can rename it to 'backup.ram' and use it in ME, just be sure that the 'backup_ram' option is set to '0'.

Voila. Smile
SkyeWelse
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you so much for figuring this out. It worked perfectly and I was able to load up my old save, beat the final boss and take high-res screenshots of the ending!

For your trouble of helping me figure this out, please allow me to at least credit you for your help at the Xak fansite I'm putting together... well, not just Xak, but for the most part Xak. Still in the early development process for now.

http://www.gameflaws.com/xyz

-SkyeWelse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: