MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

PCE Music composers (Leg. Axe II, Dungeon Expl., etc)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2X4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paranoia Dragon wrote:
Hey 2X4, just so you know, Legendary Axe 2, is under Ankoku Densetsu(Dark Legend). Very Happy I still don't know what Makyo Densetsu translated to, anyone here know??

thanks Paranoia. I knew the jap version was Ankoku Densetsu, but i didn't see either version in the places i looked. I will try the ones mentioned Wink
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
Makyō Densetsu roughly translates as Legend of the Evil World ("makyō" means something like "evil frontier"). Not sure why the official undertitle is Legendary Axe Smile

So, is that Makyō the same as the one for Tengai Makyo(sometimes I see it spelled Makyou)? Do you know what Tengai means? I had thought that Makyō Densetsu was Legend of Far East or Legend of Eden, but, I was obviously wrong Razz
SamIAm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once read that Hitoshi Sakimoto, the guy who did music for the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics, Radiant Silvergun, and Soukyugurentai also did the music for Magical Chase.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tengai Makyō is not easy to translate, it could literally mean something like the Evil Border Beyond the Heavens. Tengai is also an archaic expression that refers to the mythical Far East (not only ancient Zipang, but the whole Orient, which was considered as a heavenly place -- hence Tengai/Eden). Just wild speculation on my part -- I'm not proficient in Japanese :p

Off-topic: long vowels in the standard Modern Hepburn method are rendered with a macron diacritic (like ō). Since the English language doesn't need any kind of weird character outside the basic ASCII-7 character map, most English-speaking people usually use the good old Traditional Hepburn method (like ou, oh, ow, oo -- or a plain o).
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
Tengai Makyō is not easy to translate, it could literally mean something like the Evil Border Beyond the Heavens. Tengai is also an archaic expression that refers to the mythical Far East (not only ancient Zipang, but the whole Orient, which was considered as a heavenly place -- hence Tengai/Eden). Just wild speculation on my part -- I'm not proficient in Japanese :p

Off-topic: long vowels in the standard Modern Hepburn method are rendered with a macron diacritic (like ō). Since the English language doesn't need any kind of weird character outside the basic ASCII-7 character map, most English-speaking people usually use the good old Traditional Hepburn method (like ou, oh, ow, oo -- or a plain o).

Very interesting. I know this is all off topic, from what we started talking about, but, I've just been more & more interested in various words, that I've gotten used to seeing!
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiro T. might just be Hirohiko Takayama, a regular composer and engineer at Red. Tsukasa Masuko was a composer, not a PSG programmer (note that sound programmers were sometimes called sound creators). For example, the soundtrack of PC Genjin was composed by Masuko and programmed by Takayama (who entirely composed PC Genjin 2). Could be a clue.

In which case, you're probably right about Ankoku Densetsu. If Takayama programmed the soundkit used by Masuko in Dungeon Explorer and Maniac Pro wrestling, no wonder his own tunes in Ankoku Densetsu sound similar.

Why Hiro T. Suzuki? Heck if I know. Most Japanese composers used silly nicknames and different family names during their career. Ryu Umemoto of Yu-no fame used to be called Ryu E.P. Shimada -- E.P. for 'Eric Plancton'!
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anything more happened with getting ADPCM samples working?

Anyone have a list of all the CD games that use ADPCM+PSG combo? I know Fiend Hunter does and really sounds impressive - atleast to me it does Cool .
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe most CD games didn't use sampled instruments because the PCM channel was usually reserved for 'on the fly' voice or sound effect playback -- one notable exception being Cyber City, in which the drums are muted when the characters talk.

Eiyu Densetsu 1 has a great sampled drumkit. When dialogues are spoken, the PSG+PCM music stops and is replaced with PCM music mixed along with the voices (a la Sherlock Holmes). In Eiyuden 2, Hudson went back to a more traditional approach with pure PSG+noise chippies and overlaid PCM voices.
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:

Eiyu Densetsu 1 has a great sampled drumkit. When dialogues are spoken, the PSG+PCM music stops and is replaced with PCM music mixed along with the voices (a la Sherlock Holmes). In Eiyuden 2, Hudson went back to a more traditional approach with pure PSG+noise chippies and overlaid PCM voices.

I never understood why LOH 2 was like that, you'd think they'd done it the same way as the first. Razz
ccovell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump*
I've ripped Impossamole's music to HES format.
http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/data/ImpossamoleHES.zip
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Hmm, some of them sound a little funky, but I don't know anything about making HES files, so, who am I to talk? BTW, is it just me, or does the HES file for Bravoman have a missing sound channel or 2?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Do you know if Barry Leitch sequenced this version himself? The SID-like wobble effects pretty much give it away, but I'm still curious. Also, could you eventually have a look at Turrican? The sequencing is horrid but hey, this is Turrican... :p

PD, what player/plugin are you using?
ccovell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm pretty sure he did it himself. Look at the last 4K of the HES file, and you'll see the credits, with his name under Audio. There's also an acknowledgement to Matt Furniss, so maybe he helped in some way? Anyway, check out the credits to Impossamole on the Amiga and Atari ST.

I hope I have ripped this correctly. If you have doubts, rename the .HES file to .PCE and run it in your favourite PCE emu to see if any sound channels are missing compared to the original game.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccovell wrote:
There's also an acknowledgement to Matt Furniss, so maybe he helped in some way?

That's very interesting. I know Matt did a lot of Genesis covers, so he might have written the TGX music driver for Impossamole.
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it in ME, I'll try renaming it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: