MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Snatcher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Snatcher Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm playing the MSX version of Super Deformed Snatcher; it's really fun and really cute! Heh heh. I like the game so much, I'm thinking of buying the actual CD version. But I was wondering if the PCE version of snatcher of it is in english, as I recall the game relies a lot on text. I don't know japanese( Who does, anyway?), and would love to play it if it's in english. Otherwise I'd have to resort to the Genesis/Mega Drive version.. *sigh* Sad
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know japanese( Who does, anyway?)
Im guessing Kaminari knows japanese, maybe ehtylene also... there may be more of them out there. lucky ones they are!
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snatcher on Sega CD isn't such a bad deal. It's mostly based on the Super CD version; there's slightly less colors and the PSG tunes are barely OK, but the text translation is really well done. The only caveats are the CD soundtrack (most of the cut scenes have been awfully re-arranged) and the dubbing job, so bad that it's too good to be true (Last Alert has got a serious contender here). Especially look out for the terrific 'performance' of Ray Van Steen, the Junker's boss!

Jabberwok wrote:
Im guessing Kaminari knows japanese, maybe ehtylene also... there may be more of them out there. lucky ones they are!

Mmm, well... I'm fluent enough to read the title of a game Wink

Urban legends aside, Japanese is not a hard language to learn. It takes time, sure, but it's way easier than, say... ancient Egyptian. The main difference is that, in the former case, you can make substantial progress by finding yourself a Japanese girlfriend. In the later case, chances are you'll stay stuck with a Champollion grammar manual for the rest of your life. (Have you ever tried to date a 4000 year-old mummy? And don't rely on Liz Taylor to teach you the Hieroglyphic name for 'whisky'.)
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm fluent enough to read the title of a game
Oh? I assummed that you knew japanese because you were playing Guliverboy, a japanese rpg... A game I can't wait to play is Y's 4 : The dawn of Y's. I even started playing a while ago, I stopped playing because I couldn't understand the story... not that this particuliar game needs to, but like a good book I like a good story...

The only japanese games I play ( & usually finish ) are the action, adventure, shooters ect... no japanese rps for me... not translated that is, I can't wait for Xak III, Y's 4 and heck, why not The dead of the brain? I wonder why no one is working on this, for the moment Wink ...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelve years of intermittent learning, but I still can't read the Genji Monogatari in its original version. Put that on my lazyness' account.

As for the story of Dead of the Brain... Even the title sums it up pretty well Wink
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then, Snatcher IS in japanese. Hmm.. All right. thanks for your help, Kaminari-sama. Damn you, Konami.. making all that Date simulation crap instead of re-releasing the wonderful master works of Kojima-san.

Pasapooto, kudosai..

Nani?

Sono mama de shine!

Desu...desuka?

Boku wo... Yagami Iori...

(pardon all the made up anime dialog. LOL)
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the story of Dead of the Brain... Even the title sums it up pretty well
Ah but, what if you were a huge fan of zombie movies? for some it's vampires, others it's werewolfes.... me, it's zombies. So it's only natural to want this game translated...

I love the undead Wink ...

Last edited by Jabberwok on Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a point here. I even know some brilliant minds in the PC Engine community (Aramis, you there?) who would do anything to get their clutches on any bad old cheesy ninja flick Mr. Green
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something in bad old zombie movies that tickles my fancy, don't ask me why Razz ...

Ask anyone what ther favorite movie is. Some will say E.T. others will say gone with the wind. For me it's Dawn of the Dead, George a. Romero's masterpiece. I allmost got every zombie flick out there ( damn dvd's : now I have to re-buy everything I have on vhs )Wink .

Concerning games, it's too bad there are not enough 'zombie' games out there. Other than Dead of the Brain I don't see another one on the good old pce. I could consider castlevania a 'zombie' game though Razz .

So my question is : are there any more 'zombie' games out there for the pce ( if any ) ?.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie games, mmm... Yeah, the list is rather poor Smile

At very large, I'd include any title with a pinch of horror, psycho, gore, monster or even tentacle material - basically, anything displaying an insane shapeshifting / transformation / mutilation of some kind (this fancy selection is not exhaustive):

3x3 Eyes (ADV)
Alnam no Kiba (RPG)
Altered Beast (ACT)
Bubblegum Crash (ADV)
Chikudenya Tôbei (ADV)
Cyber City OEDO 808 (ADV)
Dead of the Brain (ADV)
Dracula X (ACT)
Dragon Knight series (RPG) [hum]
Ghost Manor (ACT)
Hyaku Monogatari (ADV)
It Came from the Desert (ADV)
Laplace no Ma (RPG)
Linda Cube (RPG)
Night Creatures (ACT)
PC Genjin series (ACT) [isn't Bonk the scariest zombie of all time?]
Psychic Detective series (ADV)
Shadow of the Beast (ACT)
Shape Shifter (ACT)
Snatcher (ADV)
Splatter House (ACT)
The Legendary Axe (ACT)
The Legendary Axe 2 (ACT)
Urusei Yatsura (ADV) [talk about a bunch of psychos]
Valis series (ACT)
Xak series (RPG)
Yami no Ketsuzoku (ADV)

Incidentally, most of them appear to be adventure games, digital comics or digital novels. And they aren't even close to what you probably expect from a 'zombie' game Wink
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, youre right. No 'Resident Evil' material here...

Still, there are some notable ones, the best one being Splatterhouse of course Cool . The arcade version is in my top 5 all time games & the PCE version is really good... a great exemple of how good PCE games can be. Snatcher is great too, but I can only use the Mega CD version as reference for obvious reasons Wink & lets not get started on Shadow of the Beast...

Humm.... I wonder if Snatcher could be translated easily? even so, whould there be a "market" for it when the Mega CD version is so easy to get? doubtfull but possible...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be great, especially since the Sega CD version is well translated and quite faithful to the PCE one (minus some scenes and pieces of dialogues which have been censored or even cut down). However, there would be a serious problem about soft-subtitling the spoken dialogues (CD and PCM), and there's a lot of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: