MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Spriggan Mark2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodtveidt
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, guys...leave the politics for another forum, eh? Very Happy Such things always degenerate into proof that clear-cut party supporters only support based on singular issues and ignore the rest. Razz Anyways, this looks cool, keep up the good work. Very Happy
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Regarding band-aid solutions.... hey, if they work why not? Besides, I doubt the developers thought their code would be scrutinized in 15 years, let alone by a 3rd (or 4th?) party

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't 'baggin' on the code. It was more of, "hey check this out...". A look behind the scenes not many of us get to see. I just thought it was interesting. It's entirely possible those pieces code/jumps are remnants of original developement/debug traps. Cool

Quote:
Well, overall the news seems promising. Very interesting to read about how Naxat slapped a bandaid on the bug to fix it. Gotta meet those deadlines!

Hehe, sorry if the news was ambigious. It was good news. Matter of fact I got a small replacement routine up and running.

Actually, Compile programmed the game and Naxat was the publisher( and producer?). I'm a big fan of Compile games - they knew how to push the systems technically. They did Blazing Lazers/Gunhed, Spriggan, and Spriggan 2 for the PCE. They did a ton of other shooters for other systems including the Super Aleste(Space MageForce) game that closely plays and resembles Blazing Lazers.

Edit: Oh hey Nod, thanks. You you must of just posted while I was in the middle of a reply Laughing.
turbofan1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odonadon wrote:
I have to agree, I'm always excited about new translation projects, sometimes regardless if I care for the game or not :[/i]
Yeah same here,I always like to see new translation projects.Even though the game costs around $50-$60.Anyways keep us posted.
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomaitheous wrote:
Looks like I'm going to have to write a replacement text to tile function. The good news is that fitting the lower case ascii won't be a problem, but finding out what control variables need to be updated for the parent functions to still function properly, will be a pain. Also, I'm stuck with 8x8 chars until I can write a custom font routine for 8x12 chars.

Well, you have my respect if you can pull this off. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The custom 8x8 font routine is up and running. So far it ignores the first byte of the S-JIS word and treats the second byte as ascii. Not terribly effecient, though. The routine's compatible with the parent functions as well. The hardest part was finding a constant bank with free space to put the font.

The font is nothing to write home about - I found it in the track02.iso.

The game was using the system card 12x12 font and a CD bios routine to set it up.

Thing left to do: find the test routine and expand S-JIS MSB tolerance to include $30-$80 value, and write a 8x12 font routine. Oh yeah, get the script out to Akamichi Embarassed

-Rich
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take any font, when it comes down to it, I just want games translated. Believe it!
animefx
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to play this game, but I would like to after its translated.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's coming along. Akamichi translated the first level and I wrote a text compressor app and a ingame decoder for it. I'm in the process of writing the script inserter. I tested the first level @ 80%, but that was with inserting the script by hand.
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. I hope you can improve it, but that does looks very promising so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy

Once the script is in place, I'll start working on upgrading the font routine. I'm either going to do a 8x12 fixed width font or a 8x8 variable width font. I don't want to put to much into this project, as I'm gearing up for Star Breaker (and SO I & SO II if they use the same engine as SB).

Some pics-

Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomaitheous wrote:
Thanks Very Happy

Once the script is in place, I'll start working on upgrading the font routine. I'm either going to do a 8x12 fixed width font or a 8x8 variable width font. I don't want to put to much into this project, as I'm gearing up for Star Breaker (and SO I & SO II if they use the same engine as SB).

Some pics-

OOHH, you're going to do Star Breaker, & possibly the Startling Odyssey's? You're awesome!
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - Star Breaker.

Matow, who was working on it a couple of years ago, is giving me a ton of the translated script and such. The control bytes look fairly simple in comparison to SM2, and appear to be the same as SO2 - although SB has a different style text pointer(table) system. I can re-use the 2char/3char/dictionary compression scheme I created for SM2 as well. I'm definitely excited about this project Very Happy
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nightwolve was working on a translation of SO2, IIRC. When you get to that game, you might want to talk to him & get his thoughts on it. Anyways, more Turbo RPG's translated is just what the doctor ordered. Though, I'm sure it'll take time to complete, I really can't wait!

Oh, & I'm assuming that, once you get to Star Breaker, there will be english subtitles for the cinemas? I wish it were easier to get a bunch of people together to re-translate cinemas, but, it seems kind of difficult. Atleast, after what I went thru with Ys 4. Plus, I'm not even sure how one would make redbook audio tracks for cinemas, using the same music that is in the background, making it even more difficult Confused
nodtveidt
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could do translations, I'd want to translate the entire CF series and do a non-localized translation of Exile. But alas...

Hehe PD, you could always recompose the soundtracks yourself! Smile
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, NightWolve played a role in Tru's SO2 project. It was a difficult one to begin with - mixed 1-byte and 2-byte text without compression, and no space to fit the English text (since it's bigger than the correspnding Japanese). As far as I know, it was an all-manual effort, and Tru abandoned it.

Star Breaker though, eh ? Sounds fun. But don't expect subtitled cinemas. Technically speaking, the best that can be hoped for is either:
(a) dubbed cinemas, or
(b) written translations which you follow (from having been printed earlier), in lieu of "subtitles"

Seriously, more translation projects is always a good thing.

And if you need/want any help/advice, I like playing the role of "advisor" or "coder of special bits", and would be happy to lend a hand wherever it's needed. It's just that I don't tend to have enough time for working through the sheer size of larger projects...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: