MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

ISO/WAV Vs. BIN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lockshaw13
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: ISO/WAV Vs. BIN Reply with quote

Hello all, just had a quick question over which backup format is recommended...ISO/WAV or BIN? It seems that ISO/WAV seems to be preferred by serious collectors, but if the same game is backed in both formats and both match up w/ the TOC database, does it really matter? I know BIN 2352 sector images can be scanned for corruption w/ CDMage while ISO 2048 sector images cannot. Is there any other difference? Thanks for all your help Smile
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always perferred the bin/cue copy. Reason is, there is no loss in quality. Doing an iso/wav, there is some minimal loss in sound quality. And sometimes, iso/wav can cause audio to be out of synch with the game itself.
Squaresoft74
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's absolutly no loss going from a bin/cue to an iso/wav set as long as you're doing tings properly.
To check this take a bin/cue set and get the checksum info (crc32 , md5 , sha1 , whatever you want)
Then split it to iso/wav using Cdmage (see the tutorial on my homepage).
Mount your resulting iso/wav in a virtual drive (using off course a proper cuesheet) and re-rip a bin / cue from the virtual drive
Check the checksum of the resulting bin/cue set and you'll se it's matching with the original one

Proper iso/wav/cue set is better for storage since it wil compress better than a bin/cue image, especially if your archiving the audio tracks with lossless compressors such as Flac or Ape and solid Rar for the data. Wink
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaresoft74 wrote:
Proper iso/wav/cue set is better for storage since it wil compress better than a bin/cue image, especially if your archiving the audio tracks with lossless compressors such as Flac or Ape and solid Rar for the data. Wink

Exactly Wink
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaresoft74 wrote:
There's absolutly no loss going from a bin/cue to an iso/wav set as long as you're doing tings properly.
To check this take a bin/cue set and get the checksum info (crc32 , md5 , sha1 , whatever you want)
Then split it to iso/wav using Cdmage (see the tutorial on my homepage).
Mount your resulting iso/wav in a virtual drive (using off course a proper cuesheet) and re-rip a bin / cue from the virtual drive
Check the checksum of the resulting bin/cue set and you'll se it's matching with the original one

God i miss talking to you Square! Hello buddy! Very Happy
Squaresoft74
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hi Jam . Very Happy
It's been a little while indeed, hope to catch you soon via MSN.
Or you could also stop by Necstasy. Wink
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of MSN, Square... I haven't seen you there for ages. Have you changed your screenname?
Squaresoft74
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope still the same. Confused
Please Pm me your ID and let me know which ID of mine you have your side so i can check what' wrong. Smile
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: ISO/WAV Vs. BIN Reply with quote

lockshaw13 wrote:
Hello all, just had a quick question over which backup format is recommended...ISO/WAV or BIN? It seems that ISO/WAV seems to be preferred by serious collectors, but if the same game is backed in both formats and both match up w/ the TOC database, does it really matter?

If our scope is limited to PC-Engine/TG-16 game discs, then ISO/WAV/CUE is wonderful. However, if you have a copy protected disc, the better software to use is something like CloneCD which also reads out all the subchannel data and can burn it back ensuring a more 1:1 copy.

The advantages with ISO/WAV/CUE image file sets are many. Having the data track separate makes it easier for English patches to be applied as well as other hack modifications. Having the audio files separated as wave files allows you to use powerful lossless compression on them such as APE or FLAC, etc. like SquareSoft74 already said. You cannot achieve maximum image compression if you've got just one big BIN file.

As far as does it really matter in the case of a PCE/TG16 disc, it depends. Both BIN/CUE and ISO/WAV/CUE are suitable for backing them up and burning copies that'll work on real NEC hardware. But if you want to store and/or share such images, it's easier and faster with ISO/WAV/CUE since you can compress them significantly.

Quote:
I know BIN 2352 sector images can be scanned for corruption w/ CDMage while ISO 2048 sector images cannot.

Well, here's the thing about that. When you do a READ CD command (MMC code: 0xBE) to read a data sector in RAW 2352 byte form, you forfeit the CD/DVD device's use of the EDC to check the sector. The hardware will not check any of your data sectors. It just reads them raw, one after the other. READ CD is the same command used for Digital-Audio-Extraction on audio sectors, and there is no EDC for those. But see, when you read a MODE1 data sector normally and receive just the 2048 user data bytes, the CD/DVD hardware actually uses the existing EDC to check the sector for you and if it catches an error, the ripping software will report it.

Point is, if you dump a data track in raw form, you should use CDMage's corruption check out of necessity, not out of advantage. A MODE1/2048 data track already underwent EDC checking and the ripping software would've stopped the extraction if the hardware reported a read error after all read retry attempts failed and if the ECC could not help salvage the sector.

Quote:
Is there any other difference? Thanks for all your help Smile

I think most everything has been covered in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chrishooper
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CD of Gradius II that I've just recently purchased. It was around $30. I don't know if that's too much for it. It's in mint condition though. Anyway, I'd like to keep it that way and was wondering if I can make a Back Up using Nero 6. Thank You.
Odonadon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrishooper wrote:
I have a CD of Gradius II that I've just recently purchased. It was around $30. I don't know if that's too much for it. It's in mint condition though. Anyway, I'd like to keep it that way and was wondering if I can make a Back Up using Nero 6. Thank You.

For backup purposes, of course! There is no protection on the discs so Nero will work just fine.

OD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or TurboRip - it makes CUE files burnable with NERO too.
chrishooper
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo! ThankYou guys, I appreciate it! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: