MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

CD-ROM speeds : Real vs. Emulated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: CD-ROM speeds : Real vs. Emulated Reply with quote

I remembered something. I know that when my consoles cd-rom's used to work games behaved differently on my 2 machines ( TurboGrafx16 cd & TurboDuo ). Let me explain :

Ill take The addams family as example because I think it will illustrate my point perfectly.

The programmers made the game with the old TG16 1X speed in mind. On the TG16, when the game starts, Gomez is talking to you & is lobbing golf balls at you in a cut scene ( game graphics & streaming pcm ). After the game starts & you have to jump immediately to avoid the golf ball. Now, on the TurboDuo ( 2x speed ), when the cut scene ends the golf ball hits you instantly... You have no choice but to loose a heart... and i've tried everything!

( cut scene ends, the streaming dialog ends, the system then goes to load the streaming background music while the game leaves control to your character at the same time )

So, the cd-rom speed ( & maybe even access time ) is somewhat important. Maybe it's because of the streaming pcm? maybe it's because of this that Sherlock Holmes & company don't work properly?

The addams family act like on Magic Engine like it did on the TurboDuo, you get hit by the golf ball...

My 2 cents Wink .

Last edited by Jabberwok on Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's really peculiar. Usually it's the other way around: CD-ROM games featuring streaming PCM somehow benefit from the faster speed of the Super CD-ROM drive. I especially think about Ziria or Cyber City.

But then again, what could one expect from a platform game with streaming PCM background music (^^;
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, could it be some kind obscure timing or priority issue? The timing is obviously off, I just don't know where & when...

Since PCM is involved & I noticed Kaminari had some problems with guliver boy's PCM ( & many other games in fact ), ill let you guys know if the game ever locks up since the audio is 99% Streaming PCM... The other 1% is the title song in red book audio, directly taken from the old 60's or whatever tv show.

Ill finish it & post results. I should scan the maps & post them in the Tips & Tricks section ( really useful ).
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then again, what could one expect from a platform game with streaming PCM background music (^^;
Ah but it serves it's purpose Cool :

It's a side scroller that's taking place inside the Addams family's mansion ( obviously ). There are multiple rooms to enter, & each room has it's own background sound. My guess is that they chose PCM because sometimes you stay in a room for a second because it's empty. Maybe the original drives couldn't keep up with swapping red book audio tracks like that...

The rooms load really fast because of this, & the audio is loaded before the room.

The game is behaving exactly the same ( sound loads up before the room ) as on a real console, except for the timing...

Point is : it works ( & it's a good game too Wink ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: