MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

New Features

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: New Features Reply with quote

David,

I would like to ask for a couple of new features:

(1) a keyboard toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode, so I can avoid having to exit, edit the INI file, and restart...

(2) a submenu on the "Boot CDROM" menu, which allows to boot from different CDROM configurations (CDROM drive/audio_input_line combinations). Sometimes I switch between CDROM drives, and I need to change the audio_input_line...

Also, I believe the correct method for setting the volume level on CDROM audio is to use a "mode set" request to the CDROM unit itself, rather than manipulating the mixer input levels.

And finally... a debugger would be nice for working on translations... Cool
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, especially on the debugger part Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Features Reply with quote

David Shadoff wrote:

I would like to ask for a couple of new features:

(1) a keyboard toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode, so I can avoid having to exit, edit the INI file, and restart...

There's such a feature already, Smile press LEFT-ALT+ENTER to toggle between modes.

Quote:

(2) a submenu on the "Boot CDROM" menu, which allows to boot from different CDROM configurations (CDROM drive/audio_input_line combinations). Sometimes I switch between CDROM drives, and I need to change the audio_input_line...

Yes, I was thinking to add a new menu entry to let the user select the CD-ROM drive at running time (didn't think to change the audio input line too though ^^; ), but we may not see that soon in the emulator, this requires some serious change in the code design, actually everything is initialized at startup and can't be changed later...

Quote:

Also, I believe the correct method for setting the volume level on CDROM audio is to use a "mode set" request to the CDROM unit itself, rather than manipulating the mixer input levels.

Yes, I will give that a try... Although this probably won't work on PC that uses CDDA to play audio tracks.

Quote:

And finally... a debugger would be nice for working on translations... Cool

Smile
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for telling me about the toggle between foll screen and window !
That's a great feature.

Also, the timing feature you recently added, to deal with the progressive desynchronization works great too !

But I have a couple of bug reports now:

(1) The Pause key is supposed to halt emulation (I need this so I can copy down text while I'm translating stuff...). It doesn't work on my machine - and in fact, after I tried it the regular escape key (menu) stopped working... (I had tried pause, shift-pause, control-pause, Alt-pause, etc. so I don't know exactly which one did all this...)

(2) About CDROM music play/mute and mixing:
If you play Motteke Tamago, and go into the "Options" screen, you will hear PSG music. Now hit <ESC> to go to menu, and it all stops while you are at the menu. Now go back to emulation (hit ESC again, or select PLAY), and suddenly you hear both PSG music, and CDROM music colliding.

It seems, for this bug:
(a) Motteke plays a track at "mute" volume while you are in the screen
(b) MagicEngine restores the mixer volume to the original system volume whenever the menu appears, but doesn't return it to the last "in-game" volume level when you return to emulating the game.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the pause key... er... well... it's not implemented yet, it's documented but not implemented. ^^;;

I will try to add that in the next version.

David Shadoff wrote:

(b) MagicEngine restores the mixer volume to the original system volume whenever the menu appears, but doesn't return it to the last "in-game" volume level when you return to emulating the game.

Hmm, the gui doesn't change the mixer volume, all it does is pause the CD if audio was playing (and resume playing when you go back to the game), this is strange... would resuming audio reset the volume? May be but logicaly this is not supposed to affect the mixer settings... or may be it's Windows that does that... sorry I don't really know what could be the problem.
AlexisMachine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmichel wrote:
David Shadoff wrote:

Hmm, the gui doesn't change the mixer volume, all it does is pause the CD if audio was playing (and resume playing when you go back to the game), this is strange... would resuming audio reset the volume? May be but logicaly this is not supposed to affect the mixer settings... or may be it's Windows that does that... sorry I don't really know what could be the problem.

Well, what you could possibly do is save the volume state whenever Esc (or Pause, when implemented) is pressed. Then when returning to the game, restore the volume level as well after the CD unpause.

I'm curious about the mode set command. How does that work? Is it an ASPI function or what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: