MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

When the best news hits you in the face like a truck...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: When the best news hits you in the face like a truck... Reply with quote

Behold! : http://sciencefictionobserver.blogspot.com/2006/12/usa-legalizes-abandonware.html Isnt that the best news you've read in a long time? Aside from Doug Lowenstein quiting ESA (formerly IDSA) of course...

Aint life grand...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've talked about this a lot at Vogons a few years ago.

This rulemaking has been in existence for more than five years. It's important to remember two things: 1) it's only effective in the USA, and 2) it's about circumventing the protections that prevent the contents of an obsolete medium from being accessed.

From now on, you can dump the contents of an old arcade board (that you legitimately own) and archive it for your personal use. But you can't not distribute in any way whatsoever. This law doesn't make abandonware any more legal. It just allows people to legally find ways to archive their old software and share their "cracking" tools or methods. Not the contents.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I know Kam but that's basically the result of " Okay guys, no one make money out of old software blah blah blah " discussion... Now they didn't only talked about this methinks so the good stuff is yet to come. There is not way someone will make me believe that this won't lead to anything else. It would be like saying " Okay, we need to feed the dog " but we don't do it...
Arjak
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*reads article*

*cheers*

Very Happy
TurboSage
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me nearly two years to read the article!!

Excellent news!!
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing news! Very Happy Very Happy
Odonadon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news - this has been the law in Canada... forever Smile I knew a guy who had a legitimate PS1 hacking business because of it: The PS1 was "defective" because it couldn't play backups of your media (which has been completely legal to have and use but not distribute). Kind of funny actually.

OD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: