MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

The top games in need of translation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamIAm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: The top games in need of translation Reply with quote

Hi everyone, it's me, that guy working on the Emerald Dragon translation. It may be premature to ask this, in my case at least, since there are many hurdles yet to be cleared in the project I am working on. However, I cannot help but notice both the comparatively high amount of text-heavy Japanese games on the PCE/CD and the surprisingly low number of fan-translations made for it. I may be up to my neck in Emerald Dragon for many moons to come, but I am interested in making some of the many Japan-only games on this system available for play in the west. I, along with probably many other potential translators, would like to know which of these games you guys think are the best. I will personally check out any of your recommendations that I can and consider translating them. However, please hesitate to post anything that you are not fairly familiar with. Also, please point out any games which may not be feasibly translated for reasons such as lots of voice-content, etc. Thank you!

BTW, PC-FX games look cool, too!
SchmuckofNI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the Cosmic Fantasy games would be cool, but Atlas would be even better. *looks at the date of the post* Man this topic is old..
nodtveidt
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice content isn't hard to replace...there are many talented individuals within the PCE communities that can provide that, and all the better if it's redbook-based. There's also a few people who know how to hunt down ADPCM samples within games (Ys 4 was getting the ADPCM swap treatment).
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes 2! I love the first one.
SamIAm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are plenty of talented people of all kinds in this community. However, I think there is a reason why we've seen next to no audio translations from the whole fan-translation scene in general.

Getting a project like that done requires not only unusual work from the hackers and tougher editing from the translators, but it also takes a high degree of team coordination. It would be one thing if we were all in a studio together, but carrying out all those comminications over the internet sounds like a recipe for a stagnant project.

In addition, though, as eager, devoted, and hard working as a lot of potential voice actors surely are, I would expect that there are few of them who are really in a position to do a good job. More than dry text, voice is much less forgiving of mediocrity. There may be one or two exceptional voices out there willing to give to a PCE project, but most of the RPGs and digital comic books that we would be dealing with would need around a dozen voices, with lots of variety. It would be a shame to devote so much effort to a game only to have it come out sounding like a high-school multi-media class project because we needed a 22 year old guy to do the 1000 year old sage and a squeeky adolescent girl to do the sultry sorceress.

I'm skeptical, yes, but I am certainly not condemning anyone who wants to do such a project, nor am I saying that I would never participate in one if its prospects looked good. For practical reasons, though, I, for one, am going to look almost exclusively at text-based games for any future games that I might like to work on.

Others may feel differently, though, so go ahead and list any fabulous voice-based games you know.
SamIAm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow, I'm going to check out the games so far. Speaking of Cosmic Fantasy, how is the CF4 project coming?
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard from animefx. I added ascii support and compression, but didn't work on changing the font to 6x12. He was doing bits at a time - not sure how the script dump went. Chapter 2 is available as a project. I actually added ascii support for that one to by mistake because I didn't verify the game I had was working on was chapter 1 Razz
SchmuckofNI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have misread the date on the topic Razz
Just another thought, how hard would it be to translate the rest of the text in Wizardry 3 and 4? Its mostly in english but there are some things that aren't translated.... I think its great that people are interested in doing more translations for the PCE! If you guys need help testing your projects on the actual system my duo still works fine, however I don't have a arcade card thats still on my todo list...
nodtveidt
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamIAm wrote:
go ahead and list any fabulous voice-based games you know.

Mysterious Song for the PCE. Excellent voice acting from a few people around the PCE community. The game will be out eventually. These same people would be well-suited for just about any translation project as voice talents.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodtveidt wrote:
SamIAm wrote:

Mysterious Song for the PCE. Excellent voice acting from a few people around the PCE community. The game will be out eventually. These same people would be well-suited for just about any translation project as voice talents.

Agreed Very Happy
SamIAm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodtveidt wrote:
SamIAm wrote:

Hey, more power to them if they pull it off. Is that really a PCE game? It's not in the Nec-ro-pole catalog.

EDIT: Checked you sig. Impressive work!

Anyway, I was just thinking that most potential project-undertakers would only want to deal with text. But we can list everything that looks like people in the west would love.

So, what other titles?
SchmuckofNI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Sword Master? I dunno if there is any voice acting in that game, but the graphics look comparable to super famicom games. Smile
EDIT:
*cough* The Dragon Knight series too is worth a look, they are hentai rpgs. lol
turbofan1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Slayer The legend of heroes II is a game I no most people would want to see translated.Even though I didnt like the first one.Its nice to hear that Emerald Dragon is still being worked on.I thought that game project was dropped.
SamIAm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, it may be a good idea to give a slightly more detailed update to the Emerald Dragon translation thread.

Anyway, I'll be interested to check out this Dragon Slayer II sometime in the next couple days. I wonder if there are any other groups out there that might take up a PCE project at the moment?
Keranu
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legend of Xanadu 1 and 2 would be nice to see in English, though they're pretty playable in Japanese already (especially the second one). Necros no Yousai is a HuCard RPG I would love to see translated Smile .

Also any Tengai Makyou translations would be greatly appreciated Smile .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: