MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Cd Rom Compatibility?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai-Raega
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Cd Rom Compatibility? Reply with quote

I'll be honest here, I've never registered Magic Engine. It was not due to the fact that I've been unable to pay it, but more because I thought it simply was not worth it. First of all, I have 100+ TG-16 games, 50+ TG 16 CD and CD2 games, and my actual system itself, which I got Christmas of 1990, still works perfectly to this day, however, there is something to be said about playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 on my PC while watching TV at the same time.

Now, what I want to ask before I order this is simple:

Do the following CD games fully work on Magic Engine? (Because in the older version I have, they do not.)

Cosmic Fantasy 2
Final Zone 2
Vasteel
Beyond Shadowgate
Dragon Slayer
Might & Magic 3
It Came From The Desert
Valis 2
Valis 3
Dynastic Hero
Godzilla

Most of these games I could not get to fully emulate in the Version 0.97 Beta 2. Either they stalled after the opening cinema (Cosmic Fantasy 2) or they stalled directly before the onset of actual gameplay (Vasteel). About the only games that DID work were Y's Book 1 & 2 and Dungeon Explorer 2, oddly enough.

I'm willing to order the key *right now* if all of these games work. I simply never ordered it before due to the very poor Cd emulation. After all, if I couldn't play every CD on my PC that my actual TG-16 can, what is the point?

Now, please don't flame me, I'm not in the mood, and I know how Emulation fans can be since I've been knee-deep in this hobby since 96, so save any smart comments for the private boards, alright? I simply want to play these games and and take pictures of them in preperation for a series of professional looking FAQs I want to do. (Especially for Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Dragon Slayer)

And if Magic Engine can help me do those things, I will gladly order it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kai-Raega
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see that CF2 and FZ2 now work, but im not getting any sound.

Does this change when I register, or is it simply always going to be like this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, please don't flame me, I'm not in the mood, and I know how Emulation fans can be since I've been knee-deep in this hobby since 96, so save any smart comments for the private boards, alright?
Woah! slow down a little will ya? Defending yourself without being attacked? save this for the shrink ok? up to this point your post was ok Wink ...

BUT, to answer your questions, almost all of the games you ask about work, some with very minor bugs. Only It came from the desert doesn't work yet because of streaming issues. And, since emulation means " simulating the functions of another computer on a different computer ", Magic Engine is doing a pretty fine job at lying to current pc's so far right?

Bottom line : as an emulator Magic Engine is great. BUT if you're after 100% perfect behavior stick with a real console & buy a video capture card for your screenshots.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I see that CF2 and FZ2 now work, but im not getting any sound.

Does this change when I register, or is it simply always going to be like this?
Since I assume you're using originals, then this is either a hardware or software issue on your part as they work for me. Tell us more about your pc : is it a brand pc or a frankenstein box? do you have sound with PCM? is the cd-rom audio connector present? what OS you're using? did you take the time to browse through the PCE.INI file, which is self-explanatory? if using an OS with an NT core, did you check ASPI? digital or analog output ect.....

Take the time to browse through the posts here, every possible issues & fixes were talked about in here, even the ones you might not know about...
Kai-Raega
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just that the Cd audio doesn't play. I get the standard PC-engine sound, but none of the actual CD audio. (So, in CF2 I hear the menu selections, but do not hear any voice or cinema music)

I know about the ini file, trust me, you are talking to an old pro here, no need to assume I'm a greenie here. Heck, just about every emulator I have has required some sort of work around to get it to work properly. Unfortunately, my Geforce 3 is oem, and does not have a TV out port. (Yeah I know, go figure, but it was free)

anyway, I ordered the key shortly after my original post.

And yes, all those games are originals, I'm quite proud of my collection Cool
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the old pro tell us which OS he's using? Wink

Seems you've got a typical ASPI problem.

Quote:
Most of these games I could not get to fully emulate in the Version 0.97 Beta 2.

Man, you're talking about a version that must be 4 years old...
Kai-Raega
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Well, this old pro left the emulation hobby about 4 years ago due to comments like that, really. As for the OS, it doesn't really matter, since im running this emulator on both Win 98 and Win 2000 (Dual boot, the 98 is for gaming, 2000 for my work) But come to think of it, the CD audio has never really worked on any Magic Engine release I've had. I've tinkered with the .ini file, such as manually inserting the info for the Cd Drive, input lines, yadda yadda, but no dice. It doesn't bother me much, really, since I'm listening to MP3s while messing around with my emulators.

And you know, I don't really like your tone. This "Old Pro" has been working on computers a lot longer then you've even been able to type, kid.

Though, I gave the guys responsible for Magic Engine my 16 dollars. They deserved it. Plus, the key I had been using (Yes, a friend gave me one many many years ago in exchange for writing reviews for his fledgling TG-16 site) was not mine, and I felt that I should correct that.

This is why I do not come to Emu Boards. Good lord. What happened to this community?
AlexisMachine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Kai-Raega wrote:
But come to think of it, the CD audio has never really worked on any Magic Engine release I've had. I've tinkered with the .ini file, such as manually inserting the info for the Cd Drive, input lines, yadda yadda, but no dice.

Yep yep. Same here. So do a lot of people. I might have to start asking for a partial refund here shortly. Smile
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Kai-Raega wrote:
Well, this old pro left the emulation hobby about 4 years ago due to comments like that, really.

*sigh* I guess the smiley was lost in the Babelfish translation...

Quote:
And you know, I don't really like your tone. This "Old Pro" has been working on computers a lot longer then you've even been able to type, kid.

Kid... Hehe. You know, I too remember how it was like to be hot-tempered... Feeling better now? OK, let's come back to that thread for a minute.

I asked for your OS version because the problem you described is very frequent under NT/2k/XP. As you know, these OSes don't have any ASPI layer. Magic Engine supports SPTI but seems to have some problems detecting it on some systems, and ASPI seems overall more reliable. So, the first obvious thing would be to try (re)installing an ASPI layer and see how it goes.

But since you're using 98 as well, the problem may be meaner. Every game you have is missing redbook audio? Tricky issue... Is your drive set to analog or digital playback? Is it connected to your audio card (analog mode)? Can you hear anything at the jack output of your CD drive? Could you post your log file here? That's all I can think of for now.

IMO, you've made a solid investment by registering your copy. CD support works without any major problem for many Windows users, there's no reason why it shouldn't work for you as well. The board is here to help people as much as possible, not to piss them off. Forums usually die because people get way too aggressive for any reason. Human nature I guess...

(Note to self: stop using sarcasm on this board or any other.)
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Raega, Here is an easy one for you :

If you insert a music cd in your cd-rom, do you get music out of your speakers ( under win 98 )?

Tell us about :

Your cd-rom, make/model
Your sound card, make/model
Os you're trying to get ME to work on ( preferably win98 )
Type of connection between cd-rom & sound card.

Easy enough.

Btw, here are some typical 13 year old comment :
Quote:

Here is a better one :
Quote:
Though, I gave the guys responsible for Magic Engine my 16 dollars. They deserved it.
4 years ago David was mainly developing ME alone, & still does. Now you knew that didn't you? real 'old timers' from 4 years ago know this right?

If you're as old as you say you are why do you act like an adolescent who's using the web for trying to figure out how to forge himself a personality to use with/against others?

Stop trying to impress complete strangers. Try with your friends instead, try to be a figure head, see if you can manage it & be comfortable with it. Some people can't handle this kind of pressure & collapse eventually. That's why kid's around puberty who didn't find their role in life yet use the internet to see if they can pull it off, the internet has no penalties whatsoever.

Before you reply, keep in mind that it's you who came in here yelling at everybody & acting like an adolescent trying to rough up some smaller kids. And bragging about a key file you got on some warez site...

Now, what if you had came in here asking questions politely instead? would all of this have happened?

Also, ask yourself what is the cause of your grudge against emu boards & emulation fans in general : is it because of your bad manners or because of your inability to act correctly with others? ask yourself what would happen if you were polite instead?

Think about it : change your personality & everybody will like you...

Last edited by Jabberwok on Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Puts on a bomb blast suit in case things get heated soon thereafter*

By the way, can you get audio from your CD drive's headphone output?
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that he mentions it, I transferred my whole ME V98 folder to my brother's laptop, wich is running W2K. Of course it didn't work, so I updated the ASPI layers going to Adaptec's site. Still no luck. Everything I get is the Audio CD control panel, like in an actual TG-16.

Naturally, it was just a matter of using the newest Beta. Wink
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Naturally, it was just a matter of using the newest Beta.
Specineff, do you mean that using the latest beta you're getting audio in your games? if not here's what's happening : Your cd is being read like an audio cd. The drive can't see the data track(s) & only sees the audio tracks... Maybe the cd-rom in this laptop has problems with multi-read? I remember having a cd-rom being manufactured in 98 that had bad multi-read capabilities & that could not run ME because of this. Some early dvd drives have the same problems i've heard...

Because your cd is being read like an audio cd the problem must be hardware rerelated instead of software related... what's the make, model & year of this laptop?
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what I meant is that ME 98 on my brother's laptop.. (Gateway Solo 9300, 256 MB ram, WIn2K.. costed us an arm and a leg..lol) gives me with any CD game what you get when you start ME with SYS card 3 and boot a music CD. Just the Audio CD control Panel. Even after updating the ASPI layer. Go figure.

Me 99.5 works just fine. Very Happy
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, cd-rom issues are becoming weirder & weirder all the time... I just tried my old cd-rom ( on an old pc I got ) that had problems with ME ( yes, I still have it hanging around ) on the latest beta & it still didn't work. Looks like there is a different fix for every different component & every different problem...

I guess this is what happens when you try to emulate hardware that possess mechanical components...

Still, it works great in most cases.

Quote:
Me 99.5 works just fine.
I think there is an old saying that goes something like : " always use the latest beta " right? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: