MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

YS Book 1&2 refuses to go past the "Just a moment..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RexcowbamForce
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: YS Book 1&2 refuses to go past the "Just a moment.. Reply with quote

I mounted the cue onto DaemonTools, Magic Engine recognizes it as a PC Engine game, I start the game and use Syscard 3.0, I press the RUN button as it instructs me and it says "Just a moment..." I wait and wait and it never progresses past this screen...

Help?
helixNRG
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: I can't get Ys Book 1 & 2 to work either... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've waited YEARS to play Ys 1 and 2, on the PC Engine, after I loved Ancient Land of Ys on my Apple IIGS so many, many years ago.

Well, the time had come - I've got a Mac powerful enough to emulate the PC Engine and now a wonderful OS X native version of Magic Engine has come along to make my G5 sing.

I've overcome the obstacles of creating a real CD from a backup cue and bin file and I've even gone to the trouble of finding all 3 versions of the CD bios - but to no avail! Ys still refuses to get past the 'Just a moment' message.

I've made a working copy of Lords of the Rising Sun on my Mac, which works just fine in Magic Engine.

I'm itching to pay for Magic Engine, but until someone can get Ys Book 1 & 2 working for me (the reason for buying Magic Emulator, solely to play Ys) I can't justify the purchase.

Someone help me, please!

- Alex
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 'boot cd' menu does MagicEngine list the game as 'Ys I&II' or just as 'PCE CD'?
ejstembler
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: I have a similar problem Reply with quote

I cannot get Y's I & II to work either... I have an Intel-based Mac Book Pro. The boot menu says "NO CD". I tried burning 2 separate CDs and both were not recognized. Crying or Very sad
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CD is not recognized at all, the data track (the 2nd track) is either missing or contain bad data. If you open the CD in the finder are all the audio tracks listed?
ejstembler
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmichel wrote:
If the CD is not recognized at all, the data track (the 2nd track) is either missing or contain bad data. If you open the CD in the finder are all the audio tracks listed?

In a Finder window I can see tracks 1 through 43 excluding track 2. iTunes automatically launches when I insert the CD and it asks if I want to import the tracks. It displays all of the tracks expect "Track 02" which is grayed out. Of course, I close iTunes... Is there anyway I can test if the CD is bad? Is there a log file I can look at or some other sort of diagnostic?
helixNRG
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a Finder window I can see tracks 1 through 43 excluding track 2. iTunes automatically launches when I insert the CD and it asks if I want to import the tracks. It displays all of the tracks expect "Track 02" which is grayed out. Of course, I close iTunes... Is there anyway I can test if the CD is bad? Is there a log file I can look at or some other sort of diagnostic?

I have the same issue here. I also burnt another copy, using Toast 8, and I was making a copy from what is supposed to be the definitive rip of Ys Book 1 & 2, where by a .cue and .bin file are used to correctly restore the data and audio tracks.

I could try to burn a copy from a PC, but that will take some time as I don't have a PC with burning software. However, given that Lords of the Rising Sun worked fine, I don't think burning the disc with Toast on a Mac is the problem. I guess it could be one of two things:

1) The 'definitive' archive of Ys Book 1 & 2 isn't faulty, although I haven't seen anyone mention encountering problems with it.
2) Magic Engine has a bug?

I'd LOVE to buy an original copy, and I'll be alerted when a second hand copy appears on eStarland, but I'd be really ticked off if I bought an original copy and it still didn't work with Magic Engine!

Any further thoughts? Thanks guys!

- Alex
helixNRG
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, it appears as 'PCE CD' when I go to boot CD in Magic Engine, not 'Ys Book1&2'. Lords of the Rising Sun also appears as 'PCE CD'.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helixNRG wrote:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, it appears as 'PCE CD' when I go to boot CD in Magic Engine, not 'Ys Book1&2'. Lords of the Rising Sun also appears as 'PCE CD'.

The CD-R is not 100% good then, when the CD is good MagicEngine will recognize it and displays the game title in the 'boot CD' menu. Some CDs will work even if not 100% good, but this is not always the case, some may have bugs or not start at all. Most of the time the problem is a bad TOC.

Try with another burner program like SimplyBurns.

Ys I&II does work in MagicEngine. Smile
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejstembler wrote:

There's a log file but there's some data in it only when MagicEngine detects a PCE CD, when there's 'NO CD' in the menu nothing is output(ed?) in the log.

It looks like track 2 on your CD is bad, it's either a bad dump or a bad burn.
r0ni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast will automatically put 2 sec gaps between each audio track even if you have a bin/cue, even if you force 0sec gaps between the tracks. I wouldn't use Toast for these kind of disks.

From experience, the only app which will burn good PCE CD games on OSX is SimplyBurns.

You can also use the unix app cdrdao for some games (read: anything with only one data track plus audio) but SimplyBurns just works.

But SimplyBurns will subtract one second per track for some reason and they won't register with TurboRip as being good copies.

A long winded approach to make perfect game copies is with VirtualPC using Windows with Daemon Tools to mount iso/wav rips, CDRWin to make bin/cue of mounted image, and SimplyBurns on OSX to burn the then perfect copy.

But unless you have all of those things at your disposal, you will get very few truly "good" game copies.
helixNRG
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Thanks Guys! Reply with quote

As they say, the cheque's in the mail! I've just paid for the MacOS key.

I used SimplyBurn and it simply worked! Brilliant! iTunes automatically allocated the correct track names to the Ys audio tracks, so I knew it once it was a better burn. Just another reason to retire Toast I think...what bloated piece of crap that program is these days.

Thanks again guys! Sorry for ever doubting! And now if we could just improve upon that full screen 'tearing' issue for the OS X Magic Engine Wink

- Alex
ejstembler
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmichel wrote:
There's a log file but there's some data in it only when MagicEngine detects a PCE CD, when there's 'NO CD' in the menu nothing is output(ed?) in the log.

It looks like track 2 on your CD is bad, it's either a bad dump or a bad burn.

I tried burning Last Alert and it did not work either. So, I'm guessing that either my source files are no good, or my burn process is incorrect. I'm buring the CDs on Windows Vista using Nero 7. I'm following the process described here. Next, I guess I'll try SimplyBurn once I buy more blank CD-Rs...
Exceed
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently downloaded Magic Engine a week or two ago. It's been working well. Today I tried playing Ys Books I & II and it won't boot the game. I have the actually CD of the game but it just gives me a black screen when booting. I've read this thread and when I go to boot I see PCE CD... I don't know if this is bad or not, but I hope there's a way to fix this. Thanks.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it on a Mac or on a PC? On a PC it always displays 'PCE CD' in the boot menu, the feature that displays the game title is currently only in the Mac version of MagicEngine. However both the PC and Mac versions will display the game title in the help bar at the bottom of the screen, check there to know if the CD is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: