MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Backwards compatibility of system cards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billnes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Backwards compatibility of system cards. Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is another question that was not in the FAQ. I was hoping that somebody here would have the correct information.

I presume that since I have System Card 3 (SYSCARD3.PCE) I do not need System Card 2 or System Card 1. System Card 3 is backwards compatible to 2 and 1?

Card 3 can do everything that 2 and 1 can do??

Thanks for your help,
Bill N. - New York
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly.

Altered Beast CD specifically requires a System Card 1. Also, a handful of Japanese games won't work properly with a US System Card 3.
billnes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari,

Thanks for getting back to me as quickly as you did. I can assure you that it's greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Also, a handful of Japanese games won't work properly with a US System Card 3.

Not accounting for the Altered Beast CD, most USA Super CD-ROM2 games will run OK using the Japanese System Card 3 file? The Japanese System Card 3 ROM image (SYSCARD3.PCE) is what I was able to download from turbo2k.net.

I'm sorry to have to ask questions in such detail, but now that I have a working EMU, I know I want to go into Manhattan and spend some of my paycheck on PCE games.

I don't own any USA Super CD-ROM2 games right now, so I can't do testing or experimentation on my own. I would like to know in advance if USA Super CD-ROM2 disc won't work with the Japanese System Card 3. I don't want to spend any of my hard-earned money on a disc that I can't play.

Thank you for your time, effort, consideration and understanding in this matter.

Best wishes and warmest regards,
Bill "The Colonel" N.
(Your humble movie theatre consessions equipment mechanic, from Hicksville, New York.)
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome :)

As far as I know, every US game works with a Japanese System Card 3. I've never found a US Super CD game that wouldn't work on my Duo-R (not that I tried them all, mind you). Since you're playing through emulation, in worst case scenario you'll just have to switch between the US and Jap System Card 3 ROMs. But even that shouldn't be necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: