MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Magic Engine and OS X 10.5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Magic Engine and OS X 10.5 Reply with quote

A warning for anyone upgrading to OS X Leopard tonight (or anytime soon).

When run under 10.5, Magic Engine is unable to find the arial font and shuts down immediately.

The only workaround at this time is to install Leopard as an regular upgrade.

Choosing Archive and Install or installing Leopard to a erased/new hard drive causes the problem.

I have informed David of the issue and hopefully he will be able to figure out what is going on soon.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a quick fix but I dunno if it works as I have not upgraded yet, try this version if MagicEngine stops to work under OS X 10.5 and let me know if it fixes the problem.

http://www.magicengine.com/files/magicengine100-pr10-3.dmg
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still doesn't work.

But I DID find the problem. go into your source code and make sure to put the .ttf extension on all fonts that are needed by ME. For example, change Arial to Arial.ttf in the source code. That will fix the issue.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh OK, I understand now, in Tiger the Arial font was using the old Apple pre OS X font format, not TTF. I thought the problem was font paths not font format. d'oh!

Are there different TTF files for italic and bold (and bold-italic)?
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmichel wrote:
Oh OK, I understand now, in Tiger the Arial font was using the old Apple pre OS X font format, not TTF. I thought the problem was font paths not font format. d'oh!

Arial Bold Italic.ttf
Arial Bold.ttf
Arial Italic.ttf
Arial Narrow Bold Italic.ttf
Arial Narrow Bold.ttf
Arial Narrow Italic.ttf
Arial Narrow.ttf
Arial Rounded Bold.ttf
Arial Unicode.ttf
Arial.ttf

any others?

Last edited by Joel Schmidt on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Schmidt wrote:
dmichel wrote:

Arial Bold Italic.ttf
Arial Bold.ttf
Arial Italic.ttf
Arial Narrow Bold Italic.ttf
Arial Narrow Bold.ttf
Arial Narrow Italic.ttf
Arial Narrow.ttf
Arial Rounded Bold.ttf
Arial Unicode.ttf
Arial.ttf

Any others? Razz

Stupid quote command.. David, how come you don't have a way to delete posts enabled on here?
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Schmidt wrote:
Stupid quote command.. David, how come you don't have a way to delete posts enabled on here?

The delete post command is disabled, you can only edit a post.

About the font list, that's perfect, that's all I needed, thanks!
Fred Duck
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: 2 other problems in Leopard Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new, but I just wanted to report 2 errors I've seen running ME PR10-2&3 on a new 15" MacBook Pro, which are:

1) Full screen mode doesn't work. The picture stops updating, although the emulator (including sound) is still running. Going back into a window lets the video update normally.

2) Dracula X doesn't register any button presses, either on the keyboard or a controller.

Let me know what further information I should provide.

Thanks,
Fred Duck
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2 other problems in Leopard Reply with quote

Fred Duck wrote:
2) Dracula X doesn't register any button presses, either on the keyboard or a controller.

Hmmm Dracula X works fine for me. Are you sure you are using a good copy of the game?
Fred Duck
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Dracula X Reply with quote

I hope it's good...I bought it when it came out in '93 (?) and have taken as good care as I can of it. (It's seen a lot of use, though!) Works fine in the used PC Engine Duo-R I just picked up.

-Fred Duck
Squaresoft74
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 other problems in Leopard Reply with quote

Fred Duck wrote:

If you mean you can't skip the intro, then it's normal.
You just can't on first run until backup ram is created and saved when you start a new game.
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Magic! Reply with quote

Hmm. I played it through once and actually got to the menu at which point it refused to let me actually select things in the menu.

Then I guess at that point, I deleted preferences and tried again, but forgot about waiting for the opening, and now...it works. Thanks for the reminder.

Another thing that's different though is that when iTunes launched this time, it recognised all of the tracks. Before, either it only saw #1 or misrecognised the CD. (I forgot which.) Hmm. Mysterious.

As for the full-screen not working right in Leopard, I've been reading around on the web and it seems like FS is not happy with a lot of things. :\
coolieranx
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 other problems in Leopard Reply with quote

Fred Duck wrote:

1) Full screen mode doesn't work. The picture stops updating, although the emulator (including sound) is still running. Going back into a window lets the video update normally.

I'm experiencing the same problem on Leopard.
n0sebleed
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: got it working Reply with quote

Here's a quick fix using the binary posted earlier on this page, http://www.magicengine.com/files/magicengine100-pr10-3.dmg

Pop open a Unix terminal.
cd /Library/Fonts
cp Arial.ttf Arial

If you're unfamiliar with Unix, just know that's all case-sensitive.

This should work until the release. I actually tried this under Tiger, liked it, bought it today long after installing Leopard without testing it first, haha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
itsalljustaride
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: got it working Reply with quote

n0sebleed wrote:
Here's a quick fix using the binary posted earlier on this page, http://www.magicengine.com/files/magicengine100-pr10-3.dmg

Pop open a Unix terminal.
cd /Library/Fonts
cp Arial.ttf Arial

If you're unfamiliar with Unix, just know that's all case-sensitive.

This should work until the release. I actually tried this under Tiger, liked it, bought it today long after installing Leopard without testing it first, haha.

This worked for me on Lion, but I used the following for best results in the interface:

cp Arial Narrow.ttf Arial

The other Arial fonts were too tall and there was overflow in the menu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: