MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Rip the psp translated dracula x and convert it for the duo?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acem77
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Rip the psp translated dracula x and convert it for the duo? Reply with quote

I dont know where the best place is to post this but i think this would be very cool if its possible.
extract the hidden translated psp version of dracula x and convert it back to a working image that could be burned and
played on a real pc-engine or turbo duo.

as far as i can tell the psp ver is emulated and not a conversion. if this is true maybe the rest could be very possible.
this may be a long shot but some one with the right psp skills could extract the data then pass it over to some one
with pc-engine skills to reformat every thing to make it play able on the real hardware.

the other cool possibility would be to hack the psp pc-engine emulator to run other cd images on the psp.
dreaming of playing lords of thunder on a psp!!
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rip the psp translated dracula x and convert it for the Reply with quote

acem77 wrote:
I dont know where the best place is to post this but i think this would be very cool if its possible.
extract the hidden translated psp version of dracula x and convert it back to a working image that could be burned and

as far as i can tell the psp ver is emulated and not a conversion. if this is true maybe the rest could be very possible.
this may be a long shot but some one with the right psp skills could extract the data then pass it over to some one
with pc-engine skills to reformat every thing to make it play able on the real hardware.

the other cool possibility would be to hack the psp pc-engine emulator to run other cd images on the psp.

Wouldn't work. My understanding is that while it is a port of the original Rondo of Blood, the code has been updated to take advantage of new effects and technology. In essence, it is not the original anymore.
FluBBa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PSP version includes a remake of Dracula X using 3D characters and background, it also includes the original Symphony of the Night and the original Dracula X.
Squaresoft74
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Schmidt wrote:
My understanding is that while it is a port of the original Rondo of Blood, the code has been updated to take advantage of new effects and technology. In essence, it is not the original anymore.

I gave it a look and the data track is the same except a few syscard strings that got removed.
From what i saw and guess it seems to be patched on the fly (Sound effects, font,etc..) when emulated more than anything else.
To be honest this "remake" and the supposely hidden "original" games really suck, too many things changed. Confused
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaresoft74 wrote:
Joel Schmidt wrote:
My understanding is that while it is a port of the original Rondo of Blood, the code has been updated to take advantage of new effects and technology. In essence, it is not the original anymore.

I gave it a look and the data track is the same except a few syscard strings that got removed.
From what i saw and guess it seems to be patched on the fly (Sound effects, font,etc..) when emulated more than anything else.
To be honest this "remake" and the supposely hidden "original" games really suck, too many things changed. Confused

Exactly why I didn't give much of a hoot when it was announced. I'm happy with my version Smile
denzilla
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been playing the game for the last three days, I couldn't disagree with you more, Squaresoft74. While things have been changed here and there in the remake, its all very high quality and is well worth the $30 price tag by itself. Even though the game is rendered in polygons, its a work of art. The remixed music isn't bad either. I think you need to treat it as a different game not an exact copy of the original. As for the original Dracula X, I have noticed some small emulation bugs, which is disappointing but tolerable. It would be nice if Game companies would pay more respect to the original game if they plan to include it in a remake compilation. Afterall, the original is the reason behind the re-release to begin with. I can't comment on SOTN yet as I've yet to try it, but the new voice acting sounded pretty good from what I've heard playing videos on Youtube. My biggest problem with the game is I felt it should've been released on the PS2 not the PSP. Don't get me wrong it looks fabulous on the PSP, but I would much rather play it on a nice big screen.
duke4711
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Denzilla. I've been playing the game for a few days, myself, and while not a big fan of remakes of anything, I really like what they've done with it. Just being able to play it in English is great. I still haven't figured out how to unlock the original, but I have gotten SOTN. I've just been wondering why it's taken them 14 years to finally release Dracula X in America. If anyone has any insight on this, please feel free to share!
denzilla
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little tip for ya duke4711: When you do unlock the original game, go to the main options and change the screen to "full". By default, its boxed in on all sides making the screen small. Changing to full won't give you wide screen, but you will have a much bigger viewing area than before Smile

Why they took so long to release it here in the states is a mystery to me as well. It puzzled me why they didn't include it in Castlevania Chronicals for the PSX as they knew Dracula X was the game people really wanted, not a remake of the X68000 Castlevania. Believe it or not, Dracula X was slated to be released for the Sega 32X back in the day. Maybe it tickled them to see their game go for such high prices on ebay. I'm just happy its finally been released here so more people can enjoy the game.
joetdude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denzilla wrote:
Having been playing the game for the last three days, I couldn't disagree with you more, Squaresoft74. While things have been changed here and there in the remake, its all very high quality and is well worth the $30 price tag by itself. Even though the game is rendered in polygons, its a work of art. The remixed music isn't bad either. I think you need to treat it as a different game not an exact copy of the original. As for the original Dracula X, I have noticed some small emulation bugs, which is disappointing but tolerable. It would be nice if Game companies would pay more respect to the original game if they plan to include it in a remake compilation. Afterall, the original is the reason behind the re-release to begin with. I can't comment on SOTN yet as I've yet to try it, but the new voice acting sounded pretty good from what I've heard playing videos on Youtube. My biggest problem with the game is I felt it should've been released on the PS2 not the PSP. Don't get me wrong it looks fabulous on the PSP, but I would much rather play it on a nice big screen.
Well, if you are so inclined to get one of the New PSP Slims, and a TV Out Cable*, it can be done.
But, to be fair, I'd greatly prefer the PS2 Controller over the PSP. Confused

Be that as it may, I think that it is conceivable that one or more enterprising persons could rip the voice acting (and take the script) from the PSP Game and merge it with the Duo Version, so we all could have an English duo version.

*Component (Red, Green, Blue & Red, White)...
NOT Composite (Yellow & Red, White)...
NOT S-Video...
denzilla
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, full screen isn't an option when playing PSP games on a TV. I would rather just have a PS2 version. While I like my slim PSP, its just not something I expect to hold onto for years to come. Battery life isn't great even with the slim model and being that I've already charged it 4 times since Christmas day, I'll be needing a new battery by the end of the year probably. The UMD format concerns me as well. Its better protected in theory, but the plastic casing around the disc seems fragile and it would be a very bad thing should a gritty piece of dirt manage to find its way inside the UMD shell. The next PSP will probably do away with the disc based media an go either high capacity flash based media or be online purchase/download from the PS store only.
marioxb
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rip the psp translated dracula x and convert it for the Reply with quote

acem77 wrote:

That would be awesome! Anyone find any more info on this? I have a rip of the game on my HD right now, but I can't figure out what is what. I assume it's in the PCE folder? This would be great if we could play the English version on the Wii's Virtual Console as well!
acem77
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaresoft74 wrote:
Joel Schmidt wrote:

any news on this being done, since a few things have been changed it would be cool just to have it done and run on real duo/pce hardware
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A patch has been released that can be applied to a rip of the game, that patch the game using the PsP translation and voice-overs. Just do that, then burn it to disc. Works perfectly. Smile
Rockman
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random information:

A copy of the data track is on the PSP disk and is called DRACX_02.DAT. It looks like track 02 on the PCE disk but the first two sectors are zeroed out. The first sector can be copied from *ANY* PCE disk the second sector tells the PCE what to load where when starting the disk. You'd have to get that info from somewhere.

Another problem is the audio tracks. They are all in Sony's propietary at3 format. The only easy way to convert these to wave files is with a special homebrew app on the PSP. I don't actually have a PSP. The patch bernielindell mentioned has all the tracks that have been changed from the original. There may be some other way to get the original Japanese audio tracks but that's left an exercise for the class.

Other than the missing sectors and decoding the audio it look quite possible to re-create Dracula X on the PCE-Engine. I'll do some tests and report what I find.
Rockman
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was successfully able to remake Dracula X (PCE).

If you can't decode the at3 audio you can create one-second silent files for tracks 1, 3-21 using audacity and name them all track??.wav. Just make sure to export as 16-bit 44100hz audio (red book standard). Later we'll run Nightwolf's TocFixer to fix the lengths.

Copy DRACX_02.DAT from your psp game (details left to the audience as an exercise). Use a hex editor (I like HxD) and replace the first 2048 bytes (all zeros) with the first 2048 bytes from any working PCE iso (rip one yourself with TurboRip (also by Nightwolf). Or download Aetherbyte's insanity demo. This sector identifies this track as a PCE game.

Now, still in the hex editor, alter the first 128 bytes of the next sector as follows:

offset desc
00 IPLBLK block address of the startup code 0:0:2 (e.g. the third sector)
03 IPLBLN number of sectors to read 1
04 IPLSTA PCE address where to copy the startup program $3000
06 IPLJMP PCE address where to start executing $3000
08 IPLMPR2 inital value for MPR2 register $00
09 IPLMPR3 inital value for MPR2 register $01
10 IPLMPR4 inital value for MPR2 register $02
11 IPLMPR5 inital value for MPR2 register $03
12 IPLMPR6 inital value for MPR2 register $04
13 OPENMODE 8 bits of options $00
14-24 All zeros 0
25 (reserved) $01
26-31 All zeros 0
32-105 (2 strings, totaling 73 bytes) "PC Engine CD-ROM SYSTEM", 0, "Copyright HUDSON SOFT / NEC Home Electronics,Ltd.", 0
106-121 (16 bytes, space padded) Program name "
122-127 (6 spaces) " "

The rest of the sector is all zeros

This tells the PCE where to boot program is, how long it is, where to save, it, blah, blah, blah. You can find more technical details in the PCE-Doc. (I'm not sure who the author is but Dave Shadoff and David Michael are credited as contributors.)

Now save your altered iso and rename it track02.iso and make a copy named track22.iso

Run TocFixer and repair, it will fix the track sizes and create a cue sheet.

Load the cue with daemon tools and test in MagicEngine. It should recognize the disc as Dracula X. If it does then burn the disc and play it on the Duo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: