MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Looking for the name of a Turbo CD Strategy Game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menno
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Looking for the name of a Turbo CD Strategy Game Reply with quote

I was skimming through one of my old issues of Turboplay magazine, and I came across a game called Super Big Strategy (or SuperWar). I'm assuming these were in-house development names, and not the name of the game when it was actually released. It was a hex-based strategy game similar to Military Madness, except it involved actual military hardware and real-world scenarios (at that particular time). It was in CD format.

I've played most of my of PC strategy games to death, and I've always loved the elegant simplicity of Military Madness; after reading about this game, I just have to play it. Does anyone know the name of it? Thanks in advance.
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for the name of a Turbo CD Strategy Game Reply with quote

Menno wrote:
I was skimming through one of my old issues of Turboplay magazine, and I came across a game called Super Big Strategy (or SuperWar). I'm assuming these were in-house development names, and not the name of the game when it was actually released.

There was a fair handful of this type of strategy game on the PC Engine; I think the one you're talking about is 'Super Daisenryaku' (which roughly translates to the name you mentioned). This was basically the first one to come out on CDROM. This is an interesting games because there is a patch available which translates it into English.

But there were also a few other notable games like this:
- Vasteel was also a CD-based strategy game, which was released in the USA by Working Designs
- Neo Nectaris was released in Japan on Super CD. This one may be difficult to play because of the language barrier, but was a natural sequel to Nectaris (the Japanese name of Military Madness).
- There was also "Gaia no Monsho" ("Crest of Gaia"), which plays on HuCard, but has an excellent translation patch available for it.

- Dave
Menno
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I'll be sure to look for that title on E-bay; do you happen to have a link to that translation patch?

Vasteel is one I had my eye on for awhile, though I've had trouble locating the U.S. version for a decent price. I'll also take a gander at Gaia no Monsho.

Thanks again!
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pointer to the translation patch:
http://www.romhacking.net/trans/513/
Wachenroder
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, this is Dave here (not to be confused with the other Dave) from Gaijin Production.

I just wanted to note that I'm a big fan of the Daisenryaku series, and that while I did do the translation for the aforementioned PCE version, I thought it was one of the poorer versions out of all the ones in that came out during that era.

I simply chose to do Daisenryaku simply because at the time, no one else was doing Turbo games and I wanted to translate something on an underrepresented console (as everyone was doing NES/SNES games).. and because it was easy (I admit, I'm not a great hacker).

After living in Japan for a while and looking back, I also feel that my translation could've been brushed up a bit. However for the most part, the game is totally playable in English.
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's cool - I saw the appearance of this patch many years ago (congratulations on the first CDROM patch on this console !!), but I never knew who did it.

So how about we try Neo Nectaris next ? Wink

While I already have many projects on the go, I'd love to contribute to a patch for that game - and I already have some preliminary information.

Let me know if you're interested.
Wachenroder
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Shadoff wrote:
Hey that's cool - I saw the appearance of this patch many years ago (congratulations on the first CDROM patch on this console !!), but I never knew who did it.

So how about we try Neo Nectaris next ? Wink

While I already have many projects on the go, I'd love to contribute to a patch for that game - and I already have some preliminary information.

Let me know if you're interested.

Yo C-Dave! To be honest, I've "retired" from the translation scene many years ago (the gaijin production page hasn't been updated in years lol). Plus on the hacking side, I'm quite sure there's nothing I can provide that you don't already know how to do. However I'll check out the game and see how much I can help on the translation side. Smile I'll keep you updated!
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well honestly, if I don't get more help it's going to be a long time before I can make it happen.

Right now my focus is on completing some of my in-progress translations, and working through the Cosmic Fantasy series (which is going to take a while). I think Tomaitheous is also going to be pretty busy with all of these too - good news is, I think we're making much faster progress together.

Anyway, it would be nice to have a translation ready for when it can be reinserted.
Wachenroder
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Shadoff wrote:
Well honestly, if I don't get more help it's going to be a long time before I can make it happen.

Right now my focus is on completing some of my in-progress translations, and working through the Cosmic Fantasy series (which is going to take a while). I think Tomaitheous is also going to be pretty busy with all of these too - good news is, I think we're making much faster progress together.

Anyway, it would be nice to have a translation ready for when it can be reinserted.

okay I played a few minutes of it. the in text translations are relatively simple.

However what will you do about the speech parts? Thats one thing I always wondered about PCE-CD translation projects. Daisenryaku had no speech so it was okay..but I always wondered what the Castlevania X team, etc were planning to do about those parts that contain speech and no text.
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various approaches possible.

To-date, the only two approaches which have been taken are:
1) Ignore them
2) Provide text translations along with the patch, so the player can follow along.

On Ys 4, we took 2), although somebody started (then suspended) a project to:
3) create an overdub patch

The most technically challenging approach (never done yet) would be to:
4) add subtitles

Tomaitheous might be up for adding subtitles for certain games under certain circumstances... but I'm not sure how many games are ahead of this in his queue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: