MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Problem in multiple gamepads on Mac OS X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokkun
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Problem in multiple gamepads on Mac OS X Reply with quote

I have 2 PlayStation gamepad to USB converters and connected directly to the USB ports in my MacBook Pro (I don't use USB hubs).

At the first time I executed Magic Engine, both gamepads are working normally without any problem. So I configured the mappings and saved.

It was working for several days, but suddenly, 2nd gamepad started not working (actually, Magic Engine does recognizes 2 gamepads, but even though I pressed the buttons in the 2nd gamepad, it doesn't work). I've checked if my USB converter or gamepad it self has problem, but it was not the root cause (gamepads are healthy when I plug one at a time).

Then I tried to delete pce.cfg and restarted Magic Engine. Then both gamepads are recognized normally.

I don't know why this happens, but after I configured the gamepads and configure other options such as video or system cards, pce.cfg will be corrupted (?) in some reason and my 2nd gamepad inputs will not be working.

Currently I took a backup of working pce.cfg and when this issue came back again, I restore this file to make gamepads work again.

Does someone struggling by the same issue?
I want this to be improved in near future.
tokkun
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem in multiple gamepads on Mac OS X Reply with quote

Quote:
It was working for several days, but suddenly, 2nd gamepad started not working (actually, Magic Engine does recognizes 2 gamepads, but even though I pressed the buttons in the 2nd gamepad, it doesn't work).

This part was wrong.

It was not working for several days. When I quit and restarted Magic Engine, the gamepad issue happens. It makes me sick to restore pce.cfg everytime I start Magic Engine, now I locked pce.cfg from Finder. Wink

The issue is not only 2nd gamepad not working, but the 1st gamepad input is recognized as both 1st and 2nd gamepad input. In the gamepad config screen at "gamepad 1" tab, when I pressed a button of my 1st gamepad, a little square ticks meaning the input is recognized as 1st gamepad input. When I switched to the "gamepad 2" tab, all the inputs from my 1st gamepad makes the little square ticking and inputs from my 2nd gamepad are ignored.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which converters are you using? Not all converters like having multiple versions active.

Have you installed any software available from the manufacturer or are you trying to go for "plug and play"? Even under OS X you sometimes need to use additional drivers for things to work.

Have you tried using a USB hub with the converters? It might be a problem with your built-in USB ports.
tokkun
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Schmidt wrote:
Which converters are you using? Not all converters like having multiple versions active.

Have you installed any software available from the manufacturer or are you trying to go for "plug and play"? Even under OS X you sometimes need to use additional drivers for things to work.

Have you tried using a USB hub with the converters? It might be a problem with your built-in USB ports.

I'm using ELECOM's JC-PS101USV (this is a single port converter). Vendor doesn't supply any software or drivers for Mac platform, so I just go for plug and play.

Is everything working well in your environment, Joel?
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokkun wrote:
Joel Schmidt wrote:

I'm using ELECOM's JC-PS101USV (this is a single port converter). Vendor doesn't supply any software or drivers for Mac platform, so I just go for plug and play.

Is everything working well in your environment, Joel?

LOL, my keyboard seems to be dying, but otherwise yes Razz

I'm not a good person to compare setups with though. I use a Microsoft 360 USB controller with my MacBook Pro.

Have you checked System Profiler to find out who made the chip for your converter? That company might have drivers to try.

Personally, I'd recommend ditching the one(s) you have and get a EMS USB 2. It can handle 2 PS1/PS2 controllers at once and has OS X drivers for both PowerPC and Intel based Macs. And you can find it for around $10 to $15.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: