MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

It Came From the Desert crackly speech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomasz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: It Came From the Desert crackly speech Reply with quote

I tried to run ICFTD for the first time in a long time on ME for XP.

Game plays great, but speech quality is somewhat poor. I can completely understand what the characters are saying, but there are a lot of popping and crackling sounds while they talk.

I'm using an image of an original CD, but the same thing happens while running the original. Don't have a Duo with me to test on original hardware, but I don't remember the sound being that crackly.

I tested the same CD and image using Mednafen and the speech quality was much better with no popping sounds.

I found this thread: http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=1754&highlight=came+desert
There, people seemed to believe that ADPCM filtering would help. Are there plans to clean up streaming ADPCM for the next PC release? I assume this is an emulation issue since Mednafen plays the speech cleanly.
Tomasz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more testing:

It seems like the popping and crackling during speech is caused by vsync being activated.

Vsync type 1: poor quality speech
Vsync type 2 (vsync + timer): good speech
Vsync off: good speech

It seems like vsync 1 screws up the timing of adpcm playback...
I used to always use vsync 1 since I use 60 hz lcd panels, but it looks like ICFTD needs vysnc 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: