MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

CD rom and Super CD 2 differances questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeBoeing
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: CD rom and Super CD 2 differances questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering for many years what is the differance between the CD ROM and Super CD ROM2 games?

Also how does the System 3 card differ from the CD ROM card?

Why are there 2 CD formats?

FRom,
Joe Boeing
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple : the cd-rom games run on a 64k system card, and the super cd-rom2 games run on a 256k card Smile . This is also the difference between the two cards.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More precisely, the CD games use the standard 64 KB of the CoreGrafx / TurboGrafx - whereas the SCD games use the extended 256 KB of the Super System 3 (which is embedded in the Duo).

Both drives are single speed (150 KB/s), but the head accesses of the SCD are slightly faster.
solidus667
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: No luck for TurboCD Reply with quote

Does this mean that owners of a TG16 with the CD Rom attachment cannot play cd2 games?
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can, but only with the Super CD-ROM card Nec/tti sold back then. Hard to find too.

A simpler solution is to track down a TurboDuo.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Japanese Interface Unit (CoreGrafx + CD), you can perfectly play at SuperCD and even ArcadeCD games provided that you got the required System Card - a Super System Card or an Arcade Card Pro, respectively.

Since the TurboGrafx + CD is the US version of the Interface Unit, my guess is that it could work. The problem is: how could one use these System Cards on US hardware? If I'm not mistaken, they were not released to the US market, and the only way to make them work would be to go through a converter like Dave Shadoff's Kisado.

But I have to admit that I don't know the TG-16 market very well, and I don't know if such a thing has been successfully tried before. Dave could certainly be of valuable help for this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: