MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

ME 1.1.0 tiny suggestion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laahel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: ME 1.1.0 tiny suggestion Reply with quote

Hello,

Congratulation for the new version, there are really usefull new options, especialy video ones that were lacking before, great thanks

I have however a "tiny" suggestion, I thing that "fullscreen" and aspect ratio (4/3, 3/2) options should be independant. Let me explain.

The new resolution option is great, because you can use native resolution for LCD/Plasma displays and you have a crisp image (its a little blurry on non native resolution). But the zoom option makes the image too small or to big for the display.
Then, comes the fullscreen option, that makes the image fill the whole screen, but modern displays have often 16/9 or 16/10 ratios. The 4/3 option is now usefull to keep the pc engine original ratio, but the image is no more full screen.
The solution would be to be able to choose to display fullscreen, and then select an aspect ratio (ie: 4/3) the have the image fill all the height of the screen, but keeping the aspect ratio of the pc engine (black borders on left and right)

I hope i was understandable...

Thanks for reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
michaeljamesjohnson
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the correct setting to properly emulate the native PC Engine aspect ratio? I was kinda thinking it was the OFF setting since some games seem to change resolutions multiple times. Plus, I dont think the most common resolutions that the PC Engine uses are true 4:3 aspect ratios. Any thoughts?
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my Duo plugged to test it but from what I remember the PC-Engine aspect ratio is close to 4:3.

It's an interesting suggestion. But separating the ratio and fullscreen options might be a bit difficult, I don't have much space in the video panel, may be I could add a 'fullscreen 4:3' option to the ratio menu. I will see what I can do.
michaeljamesjohnson
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does the OFF position actually do? I just want to make sure the image is shown as intended (i.e. circles are circles and not ovals, etc.)

also, how would I setup the .ini file to show a fullscreen or a window with a 512x242 output area in the center? If the game is less than that resolution, then I want it to still stay centered with black outlines filling in the unused lines of resolution. Of course, I also want the native (correct) aspect ratio to display dynamically ...meaning that if the game changes resolution, so does the aspect ratio.

Bottom line is that I want magicengine to have a 1:1 pixel for pixel map on my LCD. No stretching, no compressing, no funky aspect ratios, etc. Just the image as intended.
Is this possible?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFF simply displays the pixels as they are, which means one PCE pixel corresponds to one PC pixel (in other words, 1:1 ratio). Very useful with 1:1 custom resolutions like 512x448 or 672x448.

But if you use non-PCE native resolutions, say 640x480, the screen will of course look rather deformed (although it will still be 1:1). If you want the emulator to display the picture "as intended" but you don't have any real native resolution like 512x448 set under Windows, you will have no choice but to use a "funky" ratio like 4:3 or 3:2 (or simply fullscreen, unless you have a widescreen LCD which complicates the matter).
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaeljamesjohnson wrote:
Bottom line is that I want magicengine to have a 1:1 pixel for pixel map on my LCD. No stretching, no compressing, no funky aspect ratios, etc. Just the image as intended.
Is this possible?

On a LCD this is not possible, to preserve the aspect ratio and to have a 1:1 pixel for pixel map you need to use custom resolutions like Kaminari mentionned, which is not possible on a LCD as the resolution is fixed.
michaeljamesjohnson
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just removed my long pointless post. Just wanted to say thank you! I got it to work the way I want by using fullscreen mode at 1920x1200x32 for the GUI and v 1.1.1

I verified by taking a screenshot and copying into MS Paint.

The game now displays at 1:1 with aspect ratio set to OFF and: overscan_top=14
overscan_bottom=255

Keep in mind that I have a nvidia graphics card with scaling set to OFF, a monitor with HDCP set to OFF and my graphics card BIOS is flashed with a non-native panel control option set to ON.

So what games could I check for the theoretical PC Engine max res of 512x242? Wink
michaeljamesjohnson
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to have a resolution monitor in the GUI just like the FPS monitor that would tell us the current game output resolution?

So the FPS would say 60 and the Res Mon would say 256x240 or something similiar.
Laahel

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmichel wrote:

It's an interesting suggestion. But separating the ratio and fullscreen options might be a bit difficult, I don't have much space in the video panel, may be I could add a 'fullscreen 4:3' option to the ratio menu. I will see what I can do.

I see your point there.
As the zoom options have no effect when you choose fullscreen, maybe the fullscreen option should be made part of the zooms ? (and then you can have fullscreen and 4/3, 3/2, or off).
But maybe users won't search for fullscreen in the zoom options... it's all a matter of "friendlyness" Confused Not very easy i must admin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea too!

Zoom and fullscreen go well together I think, and these menus are new so if I change them now it should be ok. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: