MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Strange black bar on the bottom of certain games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReyVGM

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Strange black bar on the bottom of certain games. Reply with quote

Certain game being Dracula X.

Please know that I am aware of the different resolutions the PCE has and that the new ME (1.1.2) now supports them.
But this issue did not start with the latest release, it started with version 1.0.

On ME 0.99, Dracula X displayed it's 256x224 res correctly.
But on version 1.0 (and 1.1.2 also), it seems as if the screen shifted upwards, leaving a black bar on the bottom.
With version 1.1.2 you are now able to see the top part that got cut off if you enable the over scanning, but that still leaves the black bar on the bottom.
The display was fine up until version 1.0.

Here are screenshots of this issue:

ME 0.99 - ME 1.0 & 1.1

ME 0.99 - ME 1.0 & 1.1

Notice how both pictures are 256x224, which means there's no over scan enabled. Yet, after version 1.0 the screen shifted up, cutting part of the top of the game and leaving a black bar on the bottom.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ME 0.99 was auto-centering the screen, it didn't really emulate the screen position and size. ME 1.1 emulates it correctly now. To get the same display as ME 0.99 in the latest version go in the pce.ini file and change the overscan options :

overscan_top=18
overscan_bottom=241

With these options you can define exactly what part of the screen is displayed.
ReyVGM

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed it and tried Dracula X on version 1.0 and the black bar was still there.
I haven't tried it on version 1.1.2 yet because it's not recognizing my CD drives.

*EDIT*
Ok, I was reusing the same ini.
I guess there's no way to remove the black bar on version 1.0 (since there's no overscan options).
I haven't tried it on version 1.1.2 yet because it's not recognizing my CD drives.

One question, if I change the values, will the other games that don't have black bars be affected?

Is it possible to bring back the auto-centering ME 0.99 had? At least as an option you can turn on or off?
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReyVGM wrote:

I changed it and tried Dracula X on version 1.0 and the black bar was still there.

Hmm, I'm a bit confused here, did you saw Dracula-X running on version 1.1? Because the standard overscan in version 1.1 is a bit different than in version 1.0

Quote:
Ok, I was reusing the same ini.
I guess there's no way to remove the black bar on version 1.0 (since there's no overscan options).

Yes, this works only with version 1.1

Quote:
One question, if I change the values, will the other games that don't have black bars be affected?

Yes, it will affect the other games, that will crop them a little at the bottom.

Quote:
Is it possible to bring back the auto-centering ME 0.99 had? At least as an option you can turn on or off?

Hmm, I would prefer to not bring it back as it's incorrect emulation, but yes eventualy I could add it back as an option.
ReyVGM

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now that version 1.1 loads CD's for me I tried changing the overscan options and it worked fine for Dracula X. Too bad it also changes everything else though.
The possible auto centering option in the future would be a plus Wink
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
VisitntX
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The possible auto centering option in the future would be a plus

Second that. I had found when testing the cheats that there were games wich resolutions issues, like a black bar at the top, and or a game with an aditional deformed bar below. Now, I can't really remember the games with these problems cuz after doing all those things for the cheats left me dizzy, heh. But I can sort of check if you want me to.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisitntX wrote:
Second that. I had found when testing the cheats that there were games wich resolutions issues, like a black bar at the top, and or a game with an aditional deformed bar below.

Yes, that's normal, there are a few games that display garbage if you choose extended overscan, they do that on a real PC-Engine too. In standard overscan all the games should be good, except may be a few games like Dracula-X that will require the centering feature.
VisitntX
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the response. I was not sure about the real PC-Engine, I don't have one to compare with.
ReyVGM

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, set the emu to 224 lines instead of the default 239 and you should not see those black borders or garbage lines on any game, except Dracula X or any other game that needs auto centering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: