MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Frame Rate on Low-end Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtkwan
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Frame Rate on Low-end Mac Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm running the lastest mac version of ME on my low-end imac g4 800 (w/GeForce MX 32M & 1G ram on OSX10.4.11, as far as I know), but I find it never run at a stable frame rate, say 60fps, as told by the fps meter on screen. The frame rate just fluctuated between 50 fps something.

I just wonder how I can adjust/increase the frame rate, though I know that my machine just meets the very basic requirement for running the new ME. I guess I could do it, but I don't know how.

Can anybody give me a hand, thanks!!
Tubba Blubba
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I use a mac myself... I haven't gotten ME to work yet, but try some things:

Shut down ALL other applications (Okay, you can't shut down finder)
Shut off all the "Activate at startup" things (I believe they have a daemon running in the background)
Run in full screen (Unless you do already)

Try this.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And forget about any graphic filter. Hires filtering will suck the life out of your CPU. Without filtering, ME 1.0 runs pretty well on a P3 @ 600.
kurtkwan
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your advice.

But still no cure for the "below standard" frame rate, even after turning off the startup background application (i.e. only the itunes helper), and having no special effect on both the video & audio config.

Anyway, I have tried running ME on my powerbook ti 867 and it did run perfectly at 60fps with every effect on. Is that the 67Mhz or the video card (i.e. ati in PB) makes the difference??

I just want to play ME on my desktop imac though it's a bit low-end, and preferably it run stable & normally at 60fps, and nothing else.

Any help??
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might it be that you enabled vsync?
kurtkwan
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't turned on any effect (e.g. hi-res, vsync) except the fps meter, no matter in full screen or window mode.

If the "below standard" frame rate is attributed to the machine power, I've got nothing to say, but if it were the software configuration that made the problem, then I would find out how to make it work.

Anyway, I would be a bit disappointed to know a 800MHz G4 cpu (though it's low-end compared to those core 2 duo giga hertz models) is not powerful enough to run a 8-bit console emulator..., yet it runs a 16-bit console emulator snes9x perfectly.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800MHz is more than enough to run MagicEngine, the problem might be the video card, may be it's slow with OpenGL. I don't know what you can do though, the different configuration options won't make a big difference, the only slow option is the high-resolution mode.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtkwan wrote:
not powerful enough to run a 8-bit console emulator

Well... maybe that's because the PCE is so much more than that. It's more like a 16-bit system with an 8-bit CPU. But as I said before and David as well, 800 MHz should be sufficient to run ME at full speed, at least on Windows. A likely culprit would be software OpenGL (read: non hardware accelerated) but I don't work how that works on MacOS.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurtkwan, you best find a new iMac system That Geforce of yours is too low end. I'm very surprised you don't have graphical issues in Tiger with it. (Don't even think of Leopard... it'll kill that card)

heck, I'd get a mac mini and a monitor Smile
kurtkwan
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I gave up trying to run ME on the "low-end" imac.

Undeniably, ME is the best PCE emulator providing that your machine is able to handle it. It can give you pleasure even more than a real PCE console does!
kurtkwan
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved at last..., after disconnecting the usb bluetooth dongle and the firewire connected iPod 3G.

And, happy new year all guys here!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: