MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Startling Odyssey 2 Project (Its Been Awhile)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Looking forward to it?
Yes - Better than Nothing
100%
 100%  [ 18 ]
No - Rather Have a Better Translation
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

EsperKnight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry I'll be fixing those, it's on my todo list Smile Once I iron out the other bugs I plan on hitting them up. The font is actually our own so we can modify it any way needed. Thanks, glad you like it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kagemusha
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks pretty good. Now I just wish this game had a human translator. I would seriously suggest using the Help Wanted Ads to try to get a translator for this game or at least someone who would look over the script and make corrections etc. I've used it before and a translator contacted me out of the blue interested in a game that I was in need of a translator for over a year. I also know that EsperKnight has tried to make use of the wanted ads, but I do not know whether he has met with success or not.
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kagemusha wrote:
Wow, that looks pretty good. Now I just wish this game had a human translator. I would seriously suggest using the Help Wanted Ads to try to get a translator for this game or at least someone who would look over the script and make corrections etc. I've used it before and a translator contacted me out of the blue interested in a game that I was in need of a translator for over a year. I also know that EsperKnight has tried to make use of the wanted ads, but I do not know whether he has met with success or not.

Actually, I was contacted by someone who is willing to translate it. Right now we (as in EsperKnight) are working on a better script extractor...

Once the script is extracted, I will be sending the individual the script to translate. They did inform me that they will do it mostly in thier free time, so I have no idea how long it will take to translate, but while we are waiting, I do plan on continuing with this machine translation and at least get a "playable while making sense" patch out to hold people over until we get the actual translation...

For those interested, the person who contacted me on this was Eien Ni Hen. So it does look promising...
Kagemusha
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's awesome. Eien's a good translator and even translated a small script for me, which I've yet to hack in...

Anyway, I bought a complete and mint copy of the game for $50 a couple years ago (Can probably get it cheaper now) and I'm glad to see that my investment is paying off. Now all I need is the Spriggan Mark 2 translation to be finished.
Validus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait for the first patch!!! I honestly dont care about EXACT translations I just want it to be playable!!!!
Eien Ni Hen
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've volunteered to translate the script, or at least clean up the machine translation. It doesn't look too bad (judging from the screenshots) except for a few odd-sounding lines. ("There must be a saving grace!" WTF does that mean?)

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a semi-regular at Romhacking.net and I've translated games, manga, and song lyrics. My most recently completed scripts are "Dark Half" and "Romancing SaGa 2". Game-wise, I'm currently working on the script for "For the Frog the Bell Tolls".

I think it's a damn shame that this game's gone through 4 different translators, and I hope to make its script both coherent AND entertaining. =D
Validus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Dark Half, played it till the english ran out

will it ever be finished?
Eien Ni Hen
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I loved Dark Half, played it till the english ran out

will it ever be finished?

I sure hope so, cause I spent a lot of time on the script. Sir Yoink (the hacker for the project) is working on inserting it. No idea how long it'll take, though. ^_^
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is wonderful to see! NEC hacking has come such a long a way. Great job, EsperKnight!

Anyway, I guess you won't need my help then, Tru ? You're going to get EsperKnight to handle script management another way ? I could still update the code in the editor to output the whole script so he can take it from there if that would help. Something that would look like this: XakIIIScript.cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightWolve wrote:
Now that is wonderful to see! NEC hacking has come such a long a way. Great job, EsperKnight!

I could still update the code in the editor to output the whole script so he can take it from there if that would help. Something that would look like this: XakIIIScript.cab

I really like how that turned out... if you could do that, it would truely help speed up the translation... EsperKnight has been busy with school and other things so progress has slowed down a little bit on bug fixes and some other stuff... unless he has been working quietly in the background...

But I do have to say, I do like the output on that Night... Guess I will have to download AIM and get a hold of you...
EsperKnight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey NightWolve, I wouldn't mind it all if you wanted to do that. Also, that looks really great Very Happy Any possible way I could see how it's done? That would make it a lot easier on the translator working on TMZ.

Far as script extraction I haven't had a chance to look at how the games loading it or anything so any help with it I'd appreciate. I'm still working out the bugs so it'll be a while before I get to the script (busy with school). Hopefully though I plan on finishing soon (maybe this week *crosses fingers*).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Validus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance we will see Startling Odyssey early 2010?
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Validus wrote:
any chance we will see Startling Odyssey early 2010?

I would love to say no, here it is... but I can't... then I want to say yes, but again, I can't...

Reason is... I dont want to put a deadline on this until all the bugs have been fixed... and also keep in mind, that until either I or Esper get a hold of NightWolve with his text dumper... the first release will only be a teaser patch until we give the translator the script to translate and fix my mistranslations (I am sure there will be many changes between initial patch and final patch)...

For now, lets just say that Esper and I have a possible idea on when we might get a teaser patch out... as long as bugs get fixed, I think we may be at a good pace to release a patch... I also do not want to put too much pressure on Esper or Myself for that matter...

But so far, things are going well... the text format has been changed again and I think it looks better... perhaps some updated screenshots will be posted in the near future...
Validus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as long as it gets done thats what counts. Thanks and I hope you saved a backup of your intial patch in case it all goes to hell you can release your original, I would rather play it machine translated than not play it at all.

I played through the badly translated Illusion City. There are many MSX translations I played through that were hard to understand and I still enjoyed it since I was still able to understand what was going on instead of being lost in a sea of Japanese symbols.
filler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru wrote:

Yeah, I remember that. The translator software that I use most often is Atlas. I have picked up a few dictionaries for it, and overall, it is relatively close.

So this script was translated with Atlas?

Eien Ni Hen: Could you let me know how good a job you feel this machine translation did and whether or not you would use it as a translation aid? I'm curious about using machine translation to further supplement translation as a time saver. I currently make use of the demo available here: http://www.lec.com/translate-demos.asp

Also just wanted to add my endorsement of Eien Ni Hen. She does really great work and always bails me out if I get stuck on something. You couldn't ask for a better translator on your project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: