MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Creating and Mounting PC-Engine/TG-16 disc images in OS X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Creating and Mounting PC-Engine/TG-16 disc images in OS X Reply with quote

It is now possible to create and mount PC Engine/Turbografx disc images in OS X for use with Magic Engine.

It takes several steps, but they are easy to get the hang of.

1) Download and install Virtual CD-RW. After installation you will need to reboot your system. NOTE: this is a 15 day shareware trial. I'm taking a crash course on how to write a similar low-level driver that will be free or donationware instead.

2) Download and install SimplyBurns to your Application Folder.

3) Go to the Virtual CD-RW menubar icon (looks like a CD) and select New Media. OS X will tell you that a blank disc has been inserted and ask what to do.

Next you have 2 options:

4a) Run SimplyBurns and select 1:1 Copy to rip a physical PCE/TG-16 CD then burn it to a virtual cd.

or

4b) Run SimplyBurns and select Burn Image to burn a pre-existing image set containing .cue or .toc to a virtual cd.

5) Let the virtual CD be burned. Once it is done, it can be used in Magic Engine like a physical disc.

6) To save the virtual CD, drag the icon to the trash (or eject it using the icon in your OS X menubar) and select where you want it to be saved. This will create a Virtual CDRW compatible .bin/.cue set on your hard drive.

7) Repeat steps 3 through 6 as often as necessary.

Virtual CD-RW does NOT like image sets created in Windows based programs... you must use SimplyBurns to burn them to a virtual CD then save it. Once it is done though, you can select the new .cue using "Open Existing Media" option in the Virtual CD-RW menubar icon and it will mount them properly.

I have tested this successfully with the following games:

Bonk 3
Dracula X
Forgotten Worlds
Golden Axe
Popful Mail
Prince of Persia
Puyo Puyo
R-Type Complete
Strider Hiryuu

There is something in Virtual CD-RW that "corrupts" the disc image sets that it saves. The virtual CDs will work fine in ME, but are seen as having a bad TOC, even though the TOC is in fact correct. The authors are looking into this issue.

Last edited by Joel Schmidt on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:31 am; edited 10 times in total
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount Virtual Discs in OS X (Finally!) Reply with quote

Joel Schmidt wrote:
Like Toast and a couple other programs, Virtual CD-RW can not deal with having 2 data files mixed in with multiple audio files.

delete the second data file and make the change in the cue sheet and it should be able to run properly... been awhile since I worked with non-exact images... but I think it should work...
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount Virtual Discs in OS X (Finally!) Reply with quote

nothing to see here.

Last edited by Joel Schmidt on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount Virtual Discs in OS X (Finally!) Reply with quote

Joel Schmidt wrote:

Virtual CD-RW uses .bin/.cue filesets. Not possible to delete any tracks.

However, in the case of Dracula X the solution was a great deal easier.

After being "burned" to the virtual cd and then saved to the hard drive, the resulting .cue file was showing track 2 and 3 as well as track 22 as being data files. The solution was to change track three back to being an audio file and get rid of the extra time codes assigned to it.

Result: a working virtual cd image of Dracula X with a proper TOC.

Glad that worked for you.

If you extract the tracks seperately, as in the old fashioned iso/mp3 "methods", you could make a cue sheet based on those tracks and then simply do not add the last data track. delete the last data track from the folder, load the cue sheet in a virtual drive, then make your bin/cue image from there. Then the disc would be less the last data track. It wouild fail toc checks, but the disc should be playable...

If using cdrwin to rip the individual tracks, it would be an iso/wav rip and you would have to extract the sectors (- 150) to grab the files that are next to different tracks...
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount Virtual Discs in OS X (Finally!) Reply with quote

nothing to see here.

Last edited by Joel Schmidt on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as not having a mac os x system, I will take your word for it... I was only trying to give a suggestion based on what you were saying...

I am glad that you have taken the time to try and get this to work on mac systems...
atarijaguar
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for this for a long time.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what to do for step 4 I don't see anything like "select New Media", could you by chance post some images?

Did I need to purchase these tools to have these capabilities, or do the free downloads suffice?

4) Go to the Virtual CD-RW menubar icon and select New Media.
atarijaguar
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, okay I figured out step 4 there's a little cd icon up on the top right of the mac's menu bar.

Step 5 though, where do I get the cd image? ie. how do you rip the SuperCDROM disk? All I have are originals, not too computer savvy, and very much against piracy...
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atarijaguar wrote:
So, okay I figured out step 4 there's a little cd icon up on the top right of the mac's menu bar.

Step 5 though, where do I get the cd image? ie. how do you rip the SuperCDROM disk? All I have are originals, not too computer savvy, and very much against piracy...

There should be a way to use your original disc by setting the real cdrom drive as the default drive... then it will load from the cd drive instead of trying to boot from a virtual drive...

Otherwise, use either cloncecd or cdrwin to make the disc image then load the cue sheet into the virtual drive...

Again, I do not have a mac so I can not be sure on the programs being used, but I am assuming that magicengine for the mac does allow you to boot from a real drive instead of a virtual drive...
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atarijaguar wrote:

Yeah yeah, that will teach me to post directions half asleep.

I've corrected the original post and cleaned up some random stuff as well.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru wrote:
Again, I do not have a mac so I can not be sure on the programs being used, but I am assuming that magicengine for the mac does allow you to boot from a real drive instead of a virtual drive...

It allows for both.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atarijaguar wrote:
I've been looking for this for a long time.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what to do for step 4 I don't see anything like "select New Media", could you by chance post some images?

Did I need to purchase these tools to have these capabilities, or do the free downloads suffice?

4) Go to the Virtual CD-RW menubar icon and select New Media.

SimplyBurns is freeware. But Virtual CD-RW is shareware and as you probably learned, only lasts 15 days as a demo. I'm not a programmer by any means, but I am trying to look into writing my own virtual cd/dvd driver that would be either freeware, or could be added into the OS X version of ME by Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: