MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

New dub project for real I need help with adpcm extraction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamIAm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey NightWolve,

I guess I could imagine working on Ys IV. It's hard to say at the moment, because I really just want to get Xanadu II done before I worry about anything else. Esperknight and I are talking about doing Tengai Makyou II, which would be huge, but Ys IV is still a worthy project.

Amateurish results are pretty much to be expected no matter what we do. It's the nature of the beast. I'm fine with that, though. As long as everybody tries and nobody does anything wildly inappropriate, it's good enough, and maybe even a little charming.

I seem to remember reading that recording is already basically done for this. Is there a lot left to be done or retakes that need doing?
elconejotres
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by elconejotres on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
BurntLasagna
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.

I just got done working on a Castlevania: Rondo of Blood English translation patch that also dubs over the Japanese voices with the English dub from Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles.
(Can be seen here: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10588.0)
With my next project I was planning on tackling a fan dub for YsIV but now after seeing this I’m not so sure.

I’m a little confused on how you’re handling all this. When you say you have "a professional dub that's almost done" does that mean you’re almost done with recording everything or are you done with recording and you’re almost done with the editing and syncing (essentially almost done with the patch itself). Also what dubbing studio is this? Are you just helping with inserting the APCM tracks? Why do you need the PSG Chiptunes extracted? The chiptune music plays on another channel separate from the ADPCM.

If you can please answer these questions for me then hopefully this will cure my headache with this project. Smile

Last edited by BurntLasagna on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
BurntLasagna
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Cap, double posted
elconejotres
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by elconejotres on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BurntLasagna
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

the insertion is not a problem I get the hang of it and can do it in one or two hours when it's completed
Two hours? There’s no way you can do that. I remember trying to organize all the ADPCM by the scene there in about a two years ago and most scenes are spread out over at least a compel off tracks.

So you’re going to have to chop up you dubbed track and fit them into all the individual ADPCM clips that that scene requires. Which is tedious work let alone you’re going to have to sort through all the dumped tracks and organized them into each scene

One scene in particular that was really difficult just to organize was the part when you first meet Leeza. Since there are two different ways that scene can turn out (whether you’re in normal form or not). It also makes organization harder when you don’t know Japanese.

Quote:
I still don't know why they want some BG music changed (artistic thing I suposse) but are asking for it yes I know about the channels and most of it still looking for a way to extract and reinsert the PSG game music tough (again an artistic point of view of them, I've learned not to mess with their artistic perspectives or their inspirational rages)

So they also want to replace the BG music with their own because there artistic? Okay...whatever. I think they should be more worried about making new music for the scene near the very end (when the Lilia is telling the children about Adol's adventures) since that's all Redbook and there's no clean version of that song.

Quote:
Please give it a shot about your own dub, the more options the better, besides if you do that maybe (hint! hint!) people don't get mad that much at us if we decide only do the dub to ahem! spanish ahem!.
So has all the dubbing up in till this point been in Spanish? That's a bit odd considering that there’s no Spanish translation patch for the in game text.
elconejotres
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by elconejotres on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Shadoff wrote:
Oops, yes - I meant "the batch file which was sitting in the project folder on my hard disk"... it was created by NightWolve.

Thanks, I think. ;) Seemed like you didn't recall I made and gave them to you way back. Forgive me for being a little, shall we say, sensitive to denial/omission of credit (or, put another way, "discredit by omission") these days. It has even occurred at the corporate level as well, and not just by former associates trying to pretend that I never existed...

To the author of this thread:

Kaminari wrote:
In which case, you can simply play/record the already available HES tracks in players like Winamp or Foobar, and mix them in your ADPCM files.

The above comment explains what you need to do. My only advice is the following:
1) Run TurboRip to extract a good ISO/WAV/CUE image file set.
2) Copy the YsIV ADPCM batch file stuff in the same folder and then run the get/extract batch file.

http://www.ysutopia.net/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=5 - That has what you need. Crap, looks like I didn't put the Ys IV batch file, just one for Fighting Street which was just for fun to be entertained by the horrible dubbing that was done for that game. But anyway, David pasted the contents of only the adpcm_GET batch file, so get that from his post. Note: you'd have to do a full find&replace on "ADPCM" to "ADPCM_GET" or rename the exe "adpcm_get.exe" to "adpcm.exe".

So anyway, having run the extract batch file, that'll leave you with all the game's voice clips in regular wave format, but at a low sample rate matching the ADPCM version (15780Hz, 16Khz). Record your dubs while playing the background music, like Kaminari says. You could use some music from the wave itself and loop it before the Japanese actor starts speaking, something like that. I dunno, you say you're further ahead than this on your project, but I'm not so sure you've even used the ADPCM tools yet. Anyway, that's all the help I can provide.

duke4711 wrote:
I know this was attempted once before, but it was never completed. geemac32bitmkii,

Yeah, that guy quit long time ago and all along he was making nothing more than a video of the dubbing; the intent wasn't to actually insert it in the game. I did try to work with him on the latter, but he dropped out later on if I recall correctly.

SamIAm wrote:
Hey NightWolve,
I guess I could imagine working on Ys IV. It's hard to say at the moment, because I really just want to get Xanadu II done before I worry about anything else. Esperknight and I are talking about doing Tengai Makyou II, which would be huge, but Ys IV is still a worthy project.

That's cool. No worries there. I just wanted to see if you're interested even if it's next year.

Quote:
I seem to remember reading that recording is already basically done for this. Is there a lot left to be done or retakes that need doing?

No, not at all. I got some clips here and there from Arjak (maybe 20), but nobody finished any character so all of it would be worthless. Only the opening cinema that Justus did with Darm's voice would we get to keep. It's awesome, too. I gotta put up a youtube video of it all. I had a couple of clips for Karna that Justus did and they were great, but once again, the actress didn't finish so they're worthless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

https://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=395

Alright, I've released what I'm calling the "Ys IV Dub Kit" which will allow anyone to complete this project! So finally, whoever wants to do this project now has the means! It has all the needed batch files prepared along with Dave's tools, even some sample dubs! Download the Zip file in the post of the above link and extract it in the same folder with an Ys IV disc image to get started. The ReadMe has some tips on what batch files to play with first. There are licensing requirements such as crediting everyone in the ReadMe if you're making a dub for a non-English language and if you actually finish an English dub, I need to be contacted and permission to include it with the full YsIV patch someday is automatic, no restrictions.

Eh, something about elconejotres' story that doesn't fit which is why his whole "WE HAVE OUR OWN PROFESIONAL DUB OF THE GAME ALMOST FINISHED," doesn't jive with me. I refreshed my memory on the ADPCM clips and found that only about 15 clips out of a total of 232 have background music... So most clips have NO background music so the voice actor just needs to do his/her recording in a quiet room with a good microphone and proper recording software. He clearly never got as far as ADPCM extraction, and how could that be? This is the first time I'm publicly releasing the batch files necessary for this, that up until now, I only ever privately gave to Justus Johnston who was project leader for this once many moons ago... Eh, whatever, if he's BS'ing or not, the Dub Kit is now public for anyone to use. I'll have to contact Arjak, this is what he was essentially waiting for. I PM'ed SamIAm, so there's another person that might work on it someday. It's all out of my hands now.

BTW, here's another link below. I'm going there now to let Arjak know about this. We had some technical discussion about the mixing part for those 15 clips and that there are clean sources of the background music available via Falcom's soundtracks.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7458.0

Last edited by NightWolve on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:22 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elconejotres
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anonymity is not my style, if I have something to say I just say it as you can see in this post sorry to see so much posts trolling you but I don't have nothing to do with them

NW IS JUST A GAME FOR ADOL'S SAKE!!! you take the things to insane levels don't you think?

For arguing and fight well... for that I have and prefer the real life..... what about you?

Last edited by elconejotres on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professionalism... Nice word on paper but...

Now the following is simply a personal opinion of mine so please bare with me.

The average Turbo/PCE CD game has crappy voice overs. Most of them do. Fact. And frankly I like it that way... Would Guy Kazama be remembered as fondly if the dub was "professional"? not in a million years. Would we remember the songs from Final Zone II if they were "professional"? Nope. Professionalism is a corporate buzzword of the 21th century. There is nothing wrong with it per say, but frankly, I like my main CD-ROM course with a heavy side of cheese...

So yeah, keep the cheese in I say!

Anyone remember the intro of Warhawk on the PS1? Pre-21th century candy baby...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Guy Kazama was professionally voiced in Japanese by the legendary Akira Kamiya, and he sure is fondly remembered in that version ;)

Comparing Japanese and US voiceovers in general is like comparing caviar and jello. The targets are different.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caviar & jello? lol!!! one of the best analogy i've 'heard' in a while Kam Wink

So I got caught... I'll confess then : I like cheesy voice-overs Very Happy Probably why I like old sci-fi movies so much? hummm......

There are exceptions though : Konami & Capcom games, if only to name those two, always have professional dubs. But what's wrong with cheese? I guess that since Nightwolve got the kit out we will be seeing both variants. If that happens can anyone guess what version I will like more? Razz

P.S. take this with a little humor guys, my way of trying to defuse a bomb. (although I really like cheese) Laughing Laughing Laughing
elconejotres
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by elconejotres on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elconejotres wrote:
Which part of "my story" doesn't fit according to you NW? Which part sound to you like BS? The fact I find the extraction and reinserting of ADPCM sound very easy? Or the fact I don't need or use your tools?

Here's the problem: You claim (at least, NOW you do) you know how to do the hardest part of such a project, ADPCM extraction/insertion, yet you're stuck on something as basic as an audio mixing problem? We just got done telling you, it's all in ADPCM and in the few cases, like 15, where there's background music, you can get clean, high quality sources of that audio from the Falcom soundtracks... You don't need to touch the PSG as you keep going on and on about. Even so, if you really must have the lowest possible quality background music to record with while an actor is speaking, you can use the audio recording feature in MagicEngine when the PSG tune is playing... That's assuming that those 15 clips with background music use the same background music that is played in regular PSG in the game. I have no idea if that is the case, but like I said, I was told that that audio can be obtained from Falcom soundtracks, all except one which I believe is NOT in the game... One possibility in all of this is that you confuse ADPCM with PSG.

How about finishing the 217+ clips that don't have any background music first?? Lemme see one audio clip that you've supposedly done... And also, when exactly did you get a textual match-up between the audio and what's translated in the YsIV speech file? I only made that public NOW in the dub kit, and even that is incomplete... You had a Japanese to Spanish translator also ?? Little makes sense here...

How about sharing what YOU have with us then? A finished text/audio match-up file is still needed...

Quote:
Reminder: "I know how to extract and reinsert adpcm sound with the program from the site of NW"

You claim you got the ADPCM tools from my site in your first post. Now you say, "I don't need or use your tools?" Which is it?? Also, the partial title of your thread is, "I need help with adpcm extraction". So you do or you don't ?

You're failing to keep your story straight... I assume then David won't be credited for his ADPCM work, nor I for the batch files. Figures... Assuming anything about your story is factual.

Quote:
You are not the only one who can do PCE related projects dude,

Never claimed I was (those ADPCM tools were not created by me and they require very advanced programming knowledge, the kind that is rare - I myself could never do it) and to infer this claim from anything that I have said is a bizarre, overly defensive stretch. That's a strawman and it gets pulled out pretty often I noticed to essentially minimize my contributions. I do not nor have I ever claimed, "I am the only one" but given the rarity of that kind of programming prowess, there is plenty of room for doubt as far as your story goes. I can doubt your story and just because I do, doesn't mean my mindset is one of, "ONLY I CAN DO PCE RELATED PROJECTS, I AM A PCE GOD!!! HAHAHAHA" as you seem to be portraying me.

I really do despise this kind of reaction: "Dur, you're not the only one that can do it..." What you wind up doing with comments like that is actually minimize the difficultly that went into the work - it comes off as spoiled, as if to then almost suggest that ANYBODY could it, like your Grandma... David is at PhD Software Engineer level; he's also responsible for the Kisado Adapter, so he has electrical engineering skills to go along with his programming skills. That's pretty damn rare if you ask me! So to then essentially say, "Urm, Dave, you know, you're not the ONLY one that could it..." is ridiculous - fine, let's see your ADPCM tools then Mr. Senior Software Engineer??

Yes, technically, he may not be the only one (thank you for the redundant information), but he's ONE of the FEW!! FEW being the keyword here. My role is highly minimal in this; without his tools, I could do NOTHING. Even the Ys IV project required someone as highly skilled as Neill Corlett, who was "top dog" at one point in SNES fan translations (SD3). I suppose someone like you would today tell us that he was a dime a dozen...

Quote:
since the beginning you were very agressive to me even acused me of being the author of some post full of cra... made by some lowlife troll with lots of free time just because my writing is similar to the way of all the latin american people,

It wasn't just your writing style, it was the timing as well as emailing me to bring me over to this particular thread, to make sure I saw that other flame thread, at least, so went my theory. I'm sorry, but when somebody does a "we luv you Nightwolve", I get suspicious as to the genuine nature of such a comment. The public is virtually 99% thankless, as well as cheap, so in the rare cases that it happens, I tend to get suspicious... Anyway, do not care either way, your thread was useful in getting an English dub project going again.

Quote:
thanks for all your responses but you never answered the question which was PSG chiptunes related you just keep posting about the ADPCM greatness of your tools and how you gave the project to other people etc.

A) Again, they're not my tools! They were written by David Shadoff; I did the easy part as far as organizing batch files and tracking all Ys IV ADPCM offsets. B) I'm using this thread for my purposes, in other words, I'm making better use out of it than what you intended, that is so that an actual Ys IV dubbing project might happen... Might as well, I figured. C) I never had to answer any of your questions nor did anyone else... You think you get to dictate thread policy as to exactly the kind of responses that you should get ?? It doesn't necessarily work that way, not in this board nor any other and things haven't gone that far off topic even so.

Quote:
when all I needed was as simple "yes I can give you advice on PSG chiptunes" or a "I don't know nothing about it sorry can't help you"

I'm not the only one in this thread so why would this be directed at me specifically?

Quote:
I won't tell you why I need that but you can rest assured this project is almost finished and will be released even if you don't like the idea as it looks like is the case.

I don't think you know what you're doing if any of this is factual, but whatever. And now it's "a secret?" OH MY... You won't tell us why you need this?? I see, well now you're getting really credible alright... Heh.

Like I said, there's only 15 out of some 232+ ADPCM clips that have background music. I had to do quite a bit of work to refresh myself on what this would take just to be able to participate in this thread, and yet for all those hours of work, I know more than you do...

Quote:
2.- NW IS JUST A GAME FOR ADOL'S SAKE!!! you take the things to insane levels don't you think?

Gimme a break. I may be wrong that you're the same troll from the other threads, but that's got nothing to do with the game or "taking things too seriously." You're starting to get boring and it's you that went way more overboard in your reaction. I voiced my doubts about you, yes, but I sure as hell didn't get as aggressive and as angry as you just did in the previous post. If I was 100% sure, it'd be different.

Quote:
besides is not my first PCE related project so is not BS you can check some of my work and posts on several sites included the beta testing of my recently released YS Anthology demo game for the PSP it would be just stupid I announce my dub using my well known username just to BS'ing don't you think?

EDIT: Alright, well, where's the link ? - BurntLasagna's post indicates that you check out, so OK, nevermind.

Quote:
That said I bid you all farewell thanks for all your answers and time remember is just a game and the joy of playing those games is why we all are here, for arguing and fight well... for that I have and prefer the real life.....

That's kind of funny, the particular troll told me the same thing before he left. Same pattern, make personal attacks, and then leave with a, "Geez, it's just a game you know, why so so serious? alright bye bye"... It's not the game that I'm "overly serious about" as you seem to claim, it's bullshit stories and other assorted nonsense that get my attention. Anyway, if you're not the same person, I owe you an apology. I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong now and then. That is a lacking quality in most people these days, but at this point, I remain unconvinced. Whatever the case, your thread, for whatever reason(s) you made it, did turn out to be useful for getting this project going again.

Last edited by NightWolve on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: