MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Peer pressure, Windows XP, Magic Engine & the like...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Peer pressure, Windows XP, Magic Engine & the like... Reply with quote

Seeing as everyone everywhere only have Windows XP on their lips I decided to dive in myself. So I finally got my hands on it. After the usual backups, file transfers & a few reboots ( the " damn! I forgot to save this & that" types ) I finally installed it. I have to admit being pleasantly surprised. The first thing that caught my eye is Windows XP running in ACPI mode, a big plus! ( gone are the days of lame, 1980's IRQ's!!! ) Other point of interest is the compatibility mode. I mean I could install & actually play some games that were long gone by the time Windows 98 came by! I also liked being able to run a DOS box which shocked me... The stability is excellent, although my current system was as stable under Windows ME Wink . So after everything was set I decided to do a few Magic Engine tests. Here are my results :

I opened my Frankenstein box & pulled on the audio cable, left Windows XP's Digital CD audio enabled. I then ran Magic Engine with a system card image & fired up a CD game. As you might suspect, no CD audio came from my speakers... So I left the intro play and simply plugged back the audio cable and CD sound came back ( which was to be expected ).

So this makes me wonder : when me, Kaminari or David ask someone who is running a new computer with XP & they say they have no CD sound under ME, we always ask them if the audio cable is present. They all say yes. BUT what if these individuals don't know what the audio cable look like? what if they think the IDE ribbon or power cord is the audio cable?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Peer pressure, Windows XP, Magic Engine & the like.. Reply with quote

Hey Jabber, welcome to the wonderful NT world Wink

Though I much prefer 2K to XP, but that's prolly a matter of taste.

Quote:
I opened my Frankenstein box & pulled on the audio cable, left Windows XP's Digital CD audio enabled. I then ran Magic Engine with a system card image & fired up a CD game. As you might suspect, no CD audio came from my speakers... So I left the intro play and simply plugged back the audio cable and CD sound came back ( which was to be expected ).

With digital audio still enabled? Now you got me interested.

Quote:
what if they think the IDE ribbon or power cord is the audio cable?

That's a very good point. This is to be expected, I'm afraid.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i've heard that 2K is better but I couldn't find it in the stores... Oh well.

Yup, Digital audio still on. I must say that I left my PCE.INI the way it was under Windows ME, with no CD-ROM drive letter.

I often ask people around me & I always get the same response : opening up the PC case is a frightful thing to do...
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that ethylene wanted to know if it were possible to have fullscreen stretch using an nVidia card inside ME without hardware filtering. Well it can! under Windows XP, using a GeForce4 TI4200, I am running ME in fullscreen stretch ( 640x480 ) with no filtering Wink

Maybe it is because XP didn't find my monitor ( weird ) : it's set as a plug & play monitor. Under Windows ME my monitor was ok.

I still have a lot to learn...
SchmuckofNI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: I got pc engine audio to work in me... Reply with quote

But I didn't know that you can't get audio to work at all in xp..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: