MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Website pretty fucked up on MacOS (and some other thoughts)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Website pretty fucked up on MacOS (and some other thoughts) Reply with quote

Hi David,

Congratulations for putting up a public forum, I think it's a good step towards democracy and good customer support Wink

I'd like to mention that the site, which design I really enjoy under Windows (Explorer), seems pretty fucked up under MacOS (Explorer and Netscape). Something really needs to be investigated here.

As for Magic Engine, well... I can perfectly understand that most of the people who never had a real PC Engine in their hands since Day One (October 1987) can be fully satisfied with its current features.

But as you know, there is also a handful of people out there (from which I belong to) who believe that Magic Engine missed the mark, despite the fact that it always had the tremendous potential of being the *perfect* PC Engine emulator (which to this day is still not the case after five years of development, including a couple of years of idle time). In a much shorter lifetime, some emus like Gens or Kega have done more to the Megadrive than Magic to the PC Engine. Being a registered user and a NEC old-timer, I think you can feel my frustration.

But I'm not here to flame you... I'm here to bring my loads of suggestions and bug reports. Your forum will allow me to do that in a positive and constructive way. I *still* believe that Magic is a very good program in itself, but there are so many enhancements (both minor and major) which can be brought in. Some new emus like YAME or TGemu are starting to leave Magic behind. I like Magic. I just want it to be the best. And being a commercial emulator at that, I think it's the minimum we can expect from it.

Anyway, good luck and keep ready for forthcoming comments Smile

Best regards,
Patrice Machin

PS : j'écris en anglais, mais c'est vraiment parce que je n'ai aucune idée de la fréquentation future de ton forum Wink
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Website pretty fucked up on MacOS (and some other though Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
I'd like to mention that the site, which design I really enjoy under Windows (Explorer), seems pretty fucked up under MacOS (Explorer and Netscape). Something really needs to be investigated here.

What's wrong exactly? I don't use any special things in the html code, just a bit of Javascript and cookies. Could you describe the problem?

Kaminari wrote:
[...]
But I'm not here to flame you... I'm here to bring my loads of suggestions and bug reports. Your forum will allow me to do that in a positive and constructive way. I *still* believe that Magic is a very good program in itself, but there are so many enhancements (both minor and major) which can be brought in. Some new emus like YAME or TGemu are starting to leave Magic behind. I like Magic. I just want it to be the best. And being a commercial emulator at that, I think it's the minimum we can expect from it.

Hehe Smile

MagicEngine is always progressing, may be development is not fast, but in some way it wouldn't be fun if it was perfect rigth away, it take time to make good things, MagicEngine is like a good wine, 5 years is young, give it a few more years to be perfect. Very Happy
Richard Bannister
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Engine's emulation quality is superb.

However, it is let down badly by a godawful interface. I'm sorry David - I know you describe it as the Magic Engine interface - but I do not like programs which require full screen and which totally ignore the operating system I'm choosing to run on.

You're entitled to do what you like, of course - but likewise, I'm entitled to form my own opinion.

Also, where's the Mac OS X version?

Regards,
Richard
Arkay
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Mac sux...enuff said. Reply with quote

Mac sux...enuff said.

Magic Engine, on the other hand, does not.
Richard Bannister
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly.

There are many well written emulator ports for Macintosh. Some of them are even by me Smile

Magic Engine has a great emulation core, but an awful interface. A great emulator is let down by an interface reminiscent of an old MS-DOS based game.

Regards,
Richard
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Website pretty fucked up on MacOS (and some other though Reply with quote

dmichel wrote:

What's wrong exactly? I don't use any special things in the html code, just a bit of Javascript and cookies. Could you describe the problem?

After some further tests, it seems the problems are not Mac related but are also experienced under Windows (though the Mac browsers seem to be more affected). The main problem is that when you click on a link in the left bar, sometimes the page is refreshed indefinitely. The only way to escape is to kill the app. Shocked

Arkay wrote:

Mac sux...enuff said.
Magic Engine, on the other hand, does not.

Wow... Now that's what I call arguments. Keep them coming...
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed a few things in the Javascript code, tell me if it makes any difference. Thanks.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some noticeable improvements Smile

For some reason, the background picture still reloads indefinitely under MacOS from time to time, but otherwise it's OK.
Mojo2000
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Interesting. Reply with quote

I used to own a brand-spanking new NEC TurboDuo in 1992 or 1993. It was one of ten left at a major Radio Shack distributor, in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. It just so happened that I launched on a console kick that year, and pestered my parents to go let me look for TurboGrafx-related clearance items such as boxed games or maybe controllers. Imagine the shock. Laughing Later I eventually owned two TurboExpresses (and one TurboVision tuner which I picked up for $39 CDN), but sold the whole shebang when my girlfriend and current wife moved in. Rolling Eyes

Apart from not having the actual DuoPad controller in my hand, nor the scanlines of a composite video monitor, or perhaps the feel of sliding a HuCard snugly into the slot, I can't figure out what Kaminari is alluding to when he talks about frustrating limitations in MagicEngine.

Richard Bannister: are you the guy who hangs around the Modeler forums? Surprised I'd like to see your proposal for an improved MagicEngine interface. I rather LIKE the fact that if you have your controls programmed right, you don't NEED any special references to OS-specific keys to operate MagicEngine. In fact, this emu would probably fit right at home inside a MAME or general emu cabinet - better than some others I can think of.
Richard Bannister
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that the number of people using emulators in cabinets is relatively small.

I for one use emulators on a desktop machine. I expect the interface to match that of the operating system I'm on. Look at any of the two dozen emulators I've ported for details Smile

http://www.bannister.org/software/, etc.

Regards,
Richard
Mojo2000
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Interfaces Reply with quote

And Richard, I would argue that there are relatively few people complaining about the MagicEngine interface. Smile

What do you think of the WinMAME interface anyhow? (That is, running along from CLI in Windows without front-end)

And what about ZSNESX, whose visual aspects rather match DOS more than Windows but which is still widely regarded as the best SNES emu for Windows?

Your argument fails to sway me, but I respect your abilities anyway. Wink
Richard Bannister
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe PC users don't moan as much Smile

Seriously, comparison with emulators for PC is irrelevant here. Mac users tend to whinge more about interface violations.

R
Mojo2000
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Bannister wrote:

Seriously, comparison with emulators for PC is irrelevant here. Mac users tend to whinge more about interface violations.

So this means that David should not only reprogram the MagicEngine (Mac) interface for whinging Mac users, but also the PC interface for consistency? Or are you suggesting that only the Mac users deserve reskinning? Razz
Richard Bannister
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, what *I* would do would be to make the Magic Engine interface optional; if the user prefers a windowed mode, that should be available too.

Actually, what I would do would be provide a windowed/native GUI mode on both platforms as the default, with an optional full screen mode ala the present one.

Regards,
Richard
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, i can't agree more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: