MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Startling Odyssey 2 English Translation beta-alpha UPDATE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snkfreak
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how do i do this exactly?
Validus

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaupload is down. How can we get the patch now?

I have my game patched, but others who dont cannot find the patch anywhere
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Validus wrote:
megaupload is down. How can we get the patch now?

I have my game patched, but others who dont cannot find the patch anywhere

If someone wants the patch, PM me. Better yet, email me. I dont sign in here much. bernielindell75 at gmail dot com
Validus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^you should upload it to ROMHACKING.NET

they will keep it for life and many will be able to play and enjoy this wonder!
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Validus wrote:
^you should upload it to ROMHACKING.NET

they will keep it for life and many will be able to play and enjoy this wonder!

The hacks/extortionists of "romhacking hacks.net" refuse translation patches that came about as the result of using babelfish (machine translation software), like this one here. They had already refused his SO2 patch in the past. They have standards, you see...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding right NightWolve? You are saying that someone ACTUALLY did a translation patch with babelfish? And twice at that? Man... I don't want to be this guy when the shit will hit the fan Laughing

Oh well...

One thing I did with an old hex editor way back in the day is fool around in the Wonderboy in monsterland rom for the Master System & replace the text the sages tell you to get to the bell/ruby by jokes in my native language... Fun times! But fitting the words so that it shows everything was a bit of a pain so I left this to the professionals... Wink
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, because Tru never got a real human translator on-board as he eventually hoped, he fell back on Babelfish and his best editing... I actually helped with the project by handling script extraction and getting him set up with a copy of my custom script management software (what I call "Translation Station") way way back. Anyhow, not enough interest in the game to find a translator I guess, but yeah, it's a Babelfish translation alright, and in my view, no amount of editing can compensate for that.

I had to go back to the first page of this thread and refresh myself. That's pretty cool that Tru was able to get Esperknight to work on a font hack. That'll be something if it ever happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep... as I stated in the very first post and every time I have said anything about this patch... it is all machine translation... not babblefish... that sucks... what I used was Atlas... it seemed to translate much very well... some of the things that got translated didn't make sense, so I posted the japanese text on a couple of sites and real translators did help with a few lines, however, it showed me that Atlas was fairly close... just that a few things didn't seem to match the game anywhere, but human translators said pretty close to the same thing it said...

Anyway... some people consider the patch a hack and some consider it a translation... I did at one point send the script (thanks to NightWolve for extracting it) to 3 different translators... none of which ever got back to me... sigh... so that led me to do the translation or what I just call a "fanslation" not by using any tools other than a hex editor and 3 different translation programs and 5 web sites (babblefish not being one of them since that was very bad)... I edited the text directly within the bin file...

As for Romhacking... they originally said that it would not be accepted since it was done by machine translation, but after many pages on peoples thoughts on it, they said that they would host the patch based on the feedback... I have just been waiting to get back in touch with EsperKnight to figure out why the text hack works in emulation but breaks on real hardware... If I ever do submit the patch to romhacking... it will be with the new font working properly in both emulation and real hardware...

Also, for those that think that I feel this is a professional translation... I have never stated that nor have I stated that it is an accurate translation... I do feel it is fairly close to the storyline and of course, I did some major reworking on the text so that for the most part... everything flows fairly smooth...

Honestly... I have gotten some really good feedback on the work I did to this game... the only people that have complained are the ones that didn't read what I wrote and thought that this was translated by a human...

I was going to link to the romhacking thread that debated this whole topic... but it seems that it was deleted... oh well... but as I said... I never claimed this to be an accurate translation... and just to be funny... a few people even stated that the "translation" I did on SO2 was far better than the professional translation of Breath of Fire 2 by Capcom...

To each their own... I did this project mainly for myself however I decided to realease it to anyone who wanted it... I never expected it to be widely accepted and I expected a lot of criticism... my feelings aren't hurt either way... you play it you don't play it... you like it you don't like it... makes no difference...

Have a good day.
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuu, hey, you're alive! It's been a while! I didn't have a home Internet connection for more than a year and a half. I've been playing quite the catch-up this year. This forum is pretty dead, didn't expect you to stop by!

Tangent: Heh, you know, personally, I have fought to keep my Ys patches from being hosted on romhacking hacks.net, but they snuck them back up some time ago and changed their policy to a defiant/arrogant one of "We'll do whatever we want" after my take down requests under the original policy of honoring requests for whatever reason. Never knew that they cared about my work so much, certainly didn't know it from any mass "thank you's" from there, but after their extortion threats and my response, I certainly knew afterwards. So funny enough, I have the opposite problem than you, trying to make them STOP hosting my patches, them essentially forcibly making me apart of their miserable site - they want it both ways, to be able to give a fan translator that they don't like the middle finger and benefit from his/her work without suffering any consequences for it!

I would take it as a badge of honor if they continued not to host your patch; a percentage of their members represent the sewer of the Internet, as in GameFAQs types (e.g. the trolls that came here, thanks BTW for responding to one of them that made the thread in my name), but of course, you don't have your own site to market your patch as I do, so you kind of need them to get the patch out there... Up to you, but just FYI, in my case, I wouldn't want them benefiting from my hard work ever again! They don't just trade in ROMs - Add in threats of extortion, slander, character assassination, wild-eyed accusations, just all around douchebag behavior, etc. One of their members threatened to kill my ex-translator (when he used to visit their forums) and his family (while these days I would declare him a criminal deucebag myself, death threats for saying 'no' to giving up tools is rather a disproportionate reaction and a typical example of the "Internet Tough Guy" syndrome) for simply declining to give him tools to translate Samurai Shodown RPG in his language... So, I'm sure there are plenty of other victims by these jackasses. Those are things that "Romhacking hacks.net" would prefer to excise from history, but I'm gonna be one to point them out every now and then. Like I said, they're a subset of the warez trash that hangs out at GameFAQs. The "hack" reputation has been earned under dual definitions of the word if you get my drift.

Anyway, that's an interesting coincidence about the issue you're having between emulation and real hardware; I also ran into it with the recent revival of the Ys IV dubbing project. In our case, the ADPCM decoding behavior with emulators is different, more error compensating than with real hardware. Moral of the story is, hacks should be tested on real hardware because emulation either compensates or because of it's incomplete accuracy, it gives you false-positive results; only when you test on real hardware do you see that you gotta do things just right or else... I've gone through a couple of CD-Rs already to figure this problem out, but I did and it was pretty simple; it's a matter of keeping the preamp volume level of the audio clip low; if it's too high, the decoder will go crazy, essentially clip, distort, produce nasty static, buzzes, etc.

Well, maybe you should talk to SamIAm who translates with EsperKnight about SOII, no ? Definitely would be cool to see the font hack fully working in the end. While I may not play these patches, I do enjoy seeing the challenges being overcome of the past that kept me from doing anything beyond Ys IV. Legend of Xanadu II and Anearth Fantasy Stories, those are games that should be tackled that I'd possibly be interested in giving a shot some day!

Oh FYI, I use "babelfish" as a general term for machine translation software/sites. I really can't imagine Atlas improved that much, I did try old versions of it in the past. My experience has been that you really do need a human translator with some level of Japanese knowledge though they can have software dependencies - the above mentioned ex-translator actually is software dependent on WWWJDIC which breaks down a Japanese sentence in a certain way that you can put together and achieve a reasonably good translation. So yeah, they're not all evil, but the human does need to have a certain level of Japanese knowledge to get a good result using certain particular kinds. Anyway, I wasn't really ragging on you because of it, I did kick off this project after all. ;) You simply couldn't get a real translator to help and did what you could and that's that...

Quote:
a few people even stated that the "translation" I did on SO2 was far better than the professional translation of Breath of Fire 2 by Capcom.."

Sounds like a sarcastic compliment in your favor. I guess the translation work is better than I would assume. ;)
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows it been going Night?! Yes, it has been a long time...

I know at the moment EsperKnight is working on a few other projects and he told me that after he gets those done.. then he will come back to SO2 and figure out why real hardware breaks his text hack...

And yeah, this forum is quite slow moving... I stop by every now and then to make a post or read what others have to say and if I don't have anything to say... I just move on... I remember way back when this forum was hoping though!

I always figured you would hack more games for the pcengine... Anearth Fantasy Stories being one of the most asked for translation projects that I can remember as far as RPGs go... I do think it is cool that Rondo of Blood finally got a full translation... and of course EsperKnight hacking the heck out of the PC-FX is pretty awesome indeed...

Anyway... I have been studying a lot of japanese over the years because of this project... though there is still a ton I don't know... there is also quite a bit I do understand... however, it is nowhere near being able to translate a full game...
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope you didn't take it personally Tru but it's the babelfish that got me because "Certainly didn / ' personally t will it it translates so, the babelfish (Japanese) this"... I didn't see me trying to read this...

Taken from a translation I tried with babelfish Razz

Because Tru, I have faith in thee!
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberwok wrote:
I sure hope you didn't take it personally Tru but it's the babelfish that got me because "Certainly didn / ' personally t will it it translates so, the babelfish (Japanese) this"... I didn't see me trying to read this...

Taken from a translation I tried with babelfish Razz

Because Tru, I have faith in thee!

All I ask is before you say the translation/fanslation/hack whatever you wish to call it is crap... give it a try... based on a lot of the feedback I have gotten from this release, I have been told that it flows quite well... and of course, if people have any suggestions for alternate text, bugs, glitches, whatever the case may be... I'd be more than happy to give it a whirl and update the patch if it makes sense...

One downside that I really had though was the character limits... I am not that good at rom hacking, actually quite poor if the text is compressed (still attempting to learn how to deal with that) so a lot of the text had to be shortend to make it fit... I did what I could to make the game flow well...

If you haven't given the game a shot yet, please do... perhaps you will see that it isn't as bad as you'd think it would be... or... maybe you will come back and say... yep... it sucks like I thought it would...
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget Tru, did I identify the text pointer blocks for you so that you could at least pack all English text within a block for maximum space consumption ? That is, do you click that 'Fix Text Pointers' button to see if everything fits within a whole text block after making changes ?? That's what made the difference for Xak III and allowed everything to fit properly, although it's a very boring/dry translation...
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got mail Tru.

Again I'm sorry but my brain froze at babelfish, the world could have ended & all I would have said was "babelfish" Razz

Laughing Wink
Ouglet
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This translation seems very interesting. Thanks a lot for the work.

But the download link are now unavailable. Please can you update it ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: