MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

My Kingdom for ME V 1.0, and Win2K.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: My Kingdom for ME V 1.0, and Win2K. Reply with quote

Hello all. Sorry for the weird title.

Kaminari, you may want to read this.

To make the long story short, I got a 750 MHZ Duron with a GeForce3 Ti200, running Win Millennium. Which gives us the wonderful "lens smeared with lard" Blurry effect in Magic Engine unless you fiddle with the Ini file to somehow disable it to some extent.

I put a newly formatted drive with Win 2000 on this very same computer, and downloaded ME to play with it. I used the latest NVidia Drivers to play silent Hill on it with all the effects turned on. Both OS have those drivers and also the latest DirectX release.

Now, here comes the strange part.

Me on the Win2000 drive has the Ini file with the default settings (as in "just downloaded it and unzipped it"), and doesn't suffer the blurry effect at all, even when the Nvidia card is still there.

ME on the Win Millennium HDD suffers the blur effect, even when I copied the ini file of ME on win 2000 to it. What in the name of heaven is going on? Same computer, same card, same drivers and DirectX release, same Magic Engine with same INI file, different OS's. Shocked

As freaked out as I am, I guess I should keep my mouth shut and thank heaven for whatever it's causing ME to run the way I like it. Dancing

But why did I mention V1.0? Simple. The Redbook Music in Ys doesn't stop when I enter a town. I know a real system simple mutes it without stopping the CD, but ME is not muting it. I'm also tired of having to fiddle with the volume settings in both my CD rom drive properties, Volume control, and the Ini file. I hope that v 1.0 solves these and many, many other problems we all have experienced. I plan to use a USB to optical Digital output converter with it to experience all my PCE games in glorious PSG sound through my home theater system. Razz

I'm sure the new version (I hope it's released soon Pray ) will become one of the most downloaded files on the internet that day. Can you say "exceeded bandwidht limit"? Wink

Thanks for your time, all. We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcasting.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: My Kingdom for ME V 1.0, and Win2K. Reply with quote

Specineff wrote:

Fear not, that's the first thing I noticed when I switched from WinME to Win2K. The hardware filtering is still active in window mode (and the blurring effect is much crisper than under WinME -- not sure why, but I'm not going to complain), but it's now disabled by default in fullscreen. A good thing indeed!

Btw, it's not specific to MagicEngine.

Quote:
The Redbook Music in Ys doesn't stop when I enter a town.

It didn't work for me either for a long time, until I discovered a 'conflicting settings' condition that was triggering the bug (on my system at least). David knows about it. I can't remember whether I already told you about it or not.

Before I begin, a quick note about the analog/digital tidbit: after having a discussion with Jabberwok, I found out that it actually doesn't matter at all. MagicEngine always forces analog playback even when your CD-ROM drive is set on digital mode. So that shouldn't be a problem. The most important part is the INI file, where a couple critical settings should be configured as follows:

Code:
  ;
  ; CD-ROM audio input line
  ; --
  ;   0 -> first  audio input line [default]
  ;   1 -> second audio input line
  ;   ...
  ;
  ;   (see the log.txt file to find out what are the line numbers)
  ;

cd_audio_input_line=

The line must be empty.

Code:
  ;
  ; enable debug log file
  ; --
  ;   y -> enable  [default]
  ;   n -> disable
  ;

debug_log=y

The debug log must be activated.

Code:
  ;
  ; CD-ROM drive
  ; --
  ;   0 -> first  CD-ROM drive [default]
  ;   1 -> second CD-ROM drive
  ;   ...
  ;

drive=

;
  ; CD-ROM drive letter
  ; --
  ;   (Windows 2000/XP only)
  ;
  ;   D:
  ;   E:
  ;   ...
  ;

drive_letter=F:

People are often confused by these two options and make the common mistake to set them both. It will not work correctly! Use either one or the other.

The first option is for Win95/98/ME users only (not quite actually, it depends whether you're using an ASPI layer or not, but let's not digress), and requires the drive number, not the letter! The second option is for WinNT/2K/XP users only, and requires the drive letter (I'm not sure about the colon, but in doubt: put it).

Hope it helps Confused
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My Kingdom for ME V 1.0, and Win2K. Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
Specineff wrote:

Before I begin, a quick note about the analog/digital tidbit: after having a discussion with Jabberwok, I found out that it actually doesn't matter at all. MagicEngine always forces analog playback even when your CD-ROM drive is set on digital mode. So that shouldn't be a problem.

I know. I just hope that ME V 1.0 allows me to use that USB converter to bypass my cheap soundcard and listen to the PSG+CD audio mix from the USB port. You can't do it with the current version.

Thanks for your time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: