MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Pardon the question, but

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkay
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Pardon the question, but Reply with quote

Does Magic Engine support 1280x1024 resolution?

If not currently, then will it with the open gl support?

Now, I know I could download the demo, and I'm even a registered user, its just that I'm at college right now and my key is back home, and I really don't want to get the demo with the 5 minutes limit in case I get addicted to some of my fave games, so its not that I'm lazy or anything...

Anyways, if that resolution is not supported I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it, David. My LCD monitor natively runs at 1280x1024 and its so great when its supported but really blows when its not (in other programs, I mean)...

Oh, and finally, David, what information would I need to resend you to see if maybe you could look me up and resend me my key? I would appreciate it greatly if its possible, but its fine if it isn't...third quarter is almost over anyways...

Thanks!
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about just asking someone in your home to email you the key in a zip folder attached to a letter? I did that when I went to Mexico for a vacation and noticed my mom's laptop had only the Demo on it. Unzip, drag, drop, Presto! Applause
Arkay
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I WOULD do that, but there are two problems.

First, for anyone who's registered and gotten their keys (although I don't know if its changed or not since then), but the key was double zipped, and the second compression was a very strange file extension as I recall, and was named after the reg id number...

It would thus be confusing for anyone other than my equally computer-competent brother, and guess where he is also...college.

Secondly, I have absolutely no idea which cd I burned it onto, but I do know that I probably burned it over and over again on as many cds as possible...but that is a pain in the ass for anyone who doesn't know what cds I use as backups...

Anyways...I really don't want my key...I can wait, since 1.0 isn't out yet I'm not in that big a rush...I was just wondering if it was possible.

I'm more interested in finding out whether 1280x1024 is supported...that's a big deal for me.
Arkay
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'd like to add, although this is irrelevant in regards to my initial questions, that I've only PAID for two emulators ever.

One was Bleem!, and then Magic Engine. There is absolutely NO comparison. Hell, just look at which one is still standing. Bleem! was a total, complete, absolute waste of my money. I haven't used it in a couple of years, and who would have thought that a free psx emulator would surpass it in one year's time (epsxe).

So anyways, take that as a major compliment. Magic Engine is the only emulator worth paying money for, and that's why I'm happy I bought it. Anyways...yeah.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me an e-mail with your name and the e-mail/postal address you used when you registered, and I will resend you the key.

About the high resolution, yes it's possible to use 1280x1024, just change these options in the pce.ini file :

Code:

fullscreen=y
fullscreen_mode=0
filtering=y

res_256=1280,1024
res_320=1280,1024
res_352=1280,1024
res_gui=1280,1024

F11 key will toggle bilinear filtering on/off if you have a nVidia video card.

Voila. Smile
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
res_gui=1280,1024

Hoho, an undocumented feature Surprised

Works well for standard and custom screens, except that the lowest resolution possible seems to be 640x480... Since most of my games use a 512x448, I'm stuck with the annoying resolution switching Sad

I don't know how the new GUI will handle this (perhaps it's already an obsolete matter!) but if it stays that way, I'd really like it if you could lower the minimum resolution allowed for the GUI to 512x448. It's still an acceptable resolution to display the entire GUI and of course it suits most of the games perfectly Wink

But as I said, if the GUI is to be completely reworked and turned into an OS compliant GUI, just forget my suggestion Mr. Green
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:

Hoho, an undocumented feature Surprised

There's res_512 too. Razz

Quote:
Works well for standard and custom screens, except that the lowest resolution possible seems to be 640x480... Since most of my games use a 512x448, I'm stuck with the annoying resolution switching Sad

The new GUI will handle that better, it's resolution independent now. I didn't plan to support that low resolutions though, didn't think to that, I will change it. Smile
Shooter Freak
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari are you like the biggest Magic Engine fan alive or something? That's quite a few posts you have there.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe Smile

Well, as a coder I'm totally hopeless; but as a longstanding PC Engine fan, I have quite a bit of knowledge about the system and its games (and the way they should behave on it). I guess I'm trying to make myself useful to the continuous improvement of the best PCE emulator out there...
Arkay
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wish the system could have caught on better in the States...in terms of technology, regardless of the fact that it isn't a true 16bit system (2 8-bit chips), the games on the system are very often impressive...

For instance, the Japanese version of Super Dodge Ball has none of the flickering issues that plagued the NES version, and Dracula X is on par if not better than the SNES version...

Heck, they even got a great version of Street Fighter out for the system...but sadly, the selection of games is so small and focused, with the emphasis often falling on side and overhead scrolling shooters (not my favorite genre)...I wish game companies like Namco, Konami, and Capcom would have embraced the system and perhaps saved it from its early demise...

Oh well...the Turbo Express kicked butt, though. I still remember them selling it at a store called "High-tech Only" for 49.99 with 4 games...I was such an idiot for not buying it...oops, oops, oops...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take it personal Angel but as your post demonstrates, it all depends on what you mean by 16-bit. Where did you get the info that the PC Engine has 2x8-bit chips (which chips anyway)? The console is built around an 8-bit HuC6280 CPU (a 65C02 clone) running at 7.2 MHz, but it's powered by a 16-bit graphic chipset.

Most people don't realize that the Super Famicom has a very similar architecture to the PC Engine one. Its main CPU is a 65C816 (as the name says, an 8/16-bit 65C02 clone again) running at a whopping 3.52 MHz. Which one is a real 16-bit console? None. What really matters is the respective quality of the games, and those two machines certainly belong to the same generation, the so-called 16-bit one. No wonder people are stunned by such games as Dracula X, believing that the system is 8-bit d'oh!

Common misconceptions which sadly led to much harmful marketing disinformation (and still going on)...
Arkay
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. My bad. I clearly remember a magazine published in 92 or 93...summing up all the consoles at the time, and that was their take on it...I think it was EGM's Video Game Buyer's Guide...

Anyways...I will take your word as true, since its not that easy to find reliable info on a system so old/unpopular(as in it didn't sell well)
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
Most people don't realize that the Super Famicom has a very similar architecture to the PC Engine one

kool, i never knew this. there are some really wonderful nuggets of info on these ME boards, i'll have to visit here more frequently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: