MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

An idea for V 1.00.... Rom image viewing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DraculaX
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: An idea for V 1.00.... Rom image viewing? Reply with quote

Question Hmmm, I was just wondering... for v1.00, which is upcoming (and definitely worth the wait....) I was wondering if there were some way to get a ROM images viewing utility, kind of like there is in MAME by pushing F4. This would allow the user to view the images in the ROMset (and maybe make screen grabs of them too?)

Just a thought- I'd really like to see the images found in Parasol Stars! Dancing
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: An idea for V 1.00.... Rom image viewing? Reply with quote

That's not as easy for the PC-Engine, arcade games have special ROMs for graphics (with raw data, no compression), on the PC-Engine graphics data are often compressed and mixed with other kind of data which makes it harder to write a viewer, the only thing you could view is the VRAM which contain raw graphics data but you would see only the current level characters and sprites. Such a viewer is not planned for MagicEngine though, at least not for now, I have so many other things to implement. ^^;
DraculaX
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Well, that makes sense. I just thought I'd ask because there already was a utility implemented where you can either drop the backgrounds or the on-screen sprites easily enough, so I thought maybe something was already in use that kind of did the same thing as ROM viewing, only part-way.

When I first looked at the ROMset images for Bubble Bobble on MAME, I was surprised to see a few items that, in the years and years I've been playing that game, I never managed to see in the course of game playing (for whatever reason). I'm absolutely sure that Parasol Stars works much in the same "pipeline + counter" manner that the other BB games work, so I'm sure there's other items in there I've never managed to get as well.....

Just thought I'd ask.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: