MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

"Before I Make A Mistake", And Other Stories [2.0]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IHaveZeroWings
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: "Before I Make A Mistake", And Other Stories [2.0] Reply with quote

I'd like to step up to the next level and get the real thing. Yeah, that's right, a real PCE. I know there's some on eBay (and any other good/reliable/trustworthy places for a person who is currently a Yank tosser to shop at would be welcome), and I know that they can come at an arm and a leg or slightly less to buy, but I'm willing and ready.

Now then, seeing as how I'm set to engage on a career of killing my wallet, I have a question.

I seem to recall a PCE console/version that required no cards as it was universally compatible with all PCE games (CDs of all cards and card versions, HuCards, etc.). Which/what was it? Or am I drunk, and my memories are wrong? Oh, yeah, and before I forget, PCEs are universally compatible with all region games to begin with, right? Or is there some need for some sort of 'chip (mmm... chips.)?

Thanks in advance.

Also, By the way, I already have 3 real/actual PCE games...

-Gradius II Gofer no Yabou (Super CD-ROM^2 System)
-Tokimeki Memorial (Super CD-ROM^2 System)
-Zero Wing (CD-ROM^2 System)

Which I had acquired to own the real thing (fanboy of these serieses/single games, here), and I had enjoyed the Gradius II and Zero Wing arcades, along with the fact that I'd enjoyed the Super Famicom and PSX versions of Tokimeki Memorial and had wanted to play all their other ports to complete the experience (Super sound in Gradius II, the original TokiMemo experience, and anime sequences in Zero Wing... yay!). I'd got them in advance (before getting the actual system) also because one, they were cheap as heck, and two, they were the lower end price ones as I couldn't afford to get the real Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo back in those days. Oh, yeah, and because there's Magic Engine that's always there for me (+10 "Shameless, Sentimental Kiss-Up Points")

Then there's the fact that no-one posted the... er-hem... 'backups' of them until I learned of that magical source, but that's another tale for another forum. One last question dealing with this... do those 'backups' work on the real thing? If so, must they be burnt in a special way, or not?

Finally, on a different tangent: Only having learned about the PC-FX back when the first news post was made on the PC-FX emulator, I must ask: Is this uber-console "Double-Plus" Good? I'm a player of SHMUPS, Ren'ai/Dating Sims, Mahjong & Hanafuda games, Qix-esque games, Platformers, Puzzle Games, and RPGs, so I'd like to know what the top picks on this console for those genres are, and so I can see for myself if I should go ahead and get the PC-FX after I get the certain model/version of PCE is that I'm looking for. Oh yeah, and a new PCE 'hit' wouldn't hurt, either (despite having tried many games for the system, more than I can mention). On a side, anyone have technical information on the console (along with any sort of special media it used, did it have region lockouts, did it have 'cards' too, does it need 'chipping, blah, blah - techie here)? Yeah, and good luck on the PC-FX emulation Keep on rockin' with the PCE as well.

Yeah, sorry for the overload if it was one, but 'the more you know', right? Knowledge still is power, isn't it? Clogging up the forum with posts by me wouldn't look very good, either... (heh)

-IHaveZeroWings
"I really don't have any wings, so stop asking!"
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Before I Make A Mistake", And Other Stories [ Reply with quote

Welcome on the forum.

As I live in Europe, I'm not quite able to help you, but nice dudes like Jabberwok and Specineff from North America will eventually be able to recommend you a couple of places to get your PC Engine.

Quote:
I seem to recall a PCE console/version that required no cards as it was universally compatible with all PCE games (CDs of all cards and card versions, HuCards, etc.). Which/what was it? Or am I drunk, and my memories are wrong? Oh, yeah, and before I forget, PCEs are universally compatible with all region games to begin with, right? Or is there some need for some sort of 'chip (mmm... chips.)?

1. That must be the PC Engine Duo (Turbo Duo in the States). Indeed, the System Card 3 is embedded in those consoles, thus you don't need an external one.

2. Japanese and US systems use incompatible cartridges: HuCards in Japan, TurboChips in the US. Same format actually, but some connector pins are inverted. It is possible to run HuCards on a TurboGrafx or a TurboDuo via a specific converter, like the Kisado from Dave shadoff. On the other hand, all the CD-based games are compatible.

Quote:
Only having learned about the PC-FX back when the first news post was made on the PC-FX emulator, I must ask: Is this uber-console "Double-Plus" Good?

I wouldn't say so; it was more like the 32-bit console that could. There must have been around 60-70 games released for the PC-FX between 1994 and 1998, most (if not all) of them being bishôjo games. You may find it appealing after all Wink

Oh, and there's only one decent (but high priced) shooting game: Zeroigar.
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have a modded TG16 CD system for sale with the option of arcade card pro or syscard 3.0. I even posted it on the bay, but no luck. It's expensive, so that's why it didn't sell. (If this is not allowed, mods, let me know and I'll edit it out.)

In case you are thinking of buying a duo or TG on the Evilbay, avoid the seller by the name of Caroles' collectibles. Buncha scammers.

Probably you're better off with a US Duo. CDs don't have any region coding, so it will play any CD game with the exception of the arcade card CDs. Cards, as noted above, require a converter or a mod.

My suggestion is that you get a Turbo Grafx CD, (Yes, US turbo grafx cd) and purchase a converter, or mod it. That way you can purchase a japanese System Card 3 for cheap (20-30 USD) instead of having to pay an arm and a leg for the US system card 3. With a mod/converter, every single game that is not an Arcade CD will be ready to play in your system.

Good luck.

Spec.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends or were you live. Unfortunately I can't think of a shop that still sell Turbografx16 or TurboDuo systems. Over the net you always have turbo zone direct www.tzd.com but they don't have any cd systems at the moment. I know I can find some games quite often at pawnshops, I even see systems from time to time but they are a little more rare. If you really want one cheap then your only choice is pawnshops as they usually don't have a clue as to what they have ( I saw one once only 50$ so )...

Or, find someone nice enough here to sell his own system, but you know how collectors are eh? Wink
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally enjoy my PC-FX System. I have a full collection of 64 games including 1 demo disc. Granted a few of them are "not legit" copies... my wallet isn't that thick...

Most of the games on the system are either dating/sim or rpg... There are only a couple of platformers and only 1 shooter. I don't have my games in front of me at the moment, but I think there was 2 or 3 mahjong games and then Shanghi...

If you want any more details, I can help you out... just PM me here...

I would go with a duo and try and get a converter cheap... you can find them somewhat cheap at times... but the arcade card pro that you would need with a tg-16 cd combo is going to cost you more than a arcade card duo...

Trû
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8107040214&rd=1

Looks interesting eh?

Maybe, just maybe..... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: