MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Introducing... y.o.g.s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatoKen
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Introducing... y.o.g.s Reply with quote

Hi there.

I really hope this doesnt cause offence to anyone (bad experience on the neo geo forums already today lol)

I am an avid gamer, I am 30 years old and I have been playing games since I could crawl.

I had an enormous collection of consoles and games when I lived in the UK, but I since then married and moved to the USA.

Because of this, and because my consoles were all either SCART RGB or PAL I decided that I didnt want to sell them (good memories cant be bought and sold...)
So I donated all my consoles and games to 4 friends of mine who I shared the same interests with, close friends of mine..

They were called Yogzi, Qasim,Archie and Wassy.

I phoned Qasim recently to see how they were all getting along and found that Yogzi had tragically taken his own life due to depression.
It was quite a shock, and I thought hard how I could do something to honor my close friend Yogzi.
My favorite console of all time is the Pc engine, I first had one of these upon release in japan (many many years ago now hehe) and still think it's the best console ever to be released.
Why? well certainly not for the graphics, because as we know "good graphics do not a good game make".. nope, there is something else about the PC engine that I just cant put my finger on....
Maybe it's the very heavily japanese style games? Maybe its because at that time in console history it was so clear ahead of the competition that it was jokable? Maybe...... hmm, who knows and who cares?
All I do know is that the Pc engine is the best console ever made.. Im sure alot of you will agree with me there.

Well anyways, since coming to the USA I have had to literally 'start all over again', which being married and out of work (visa problems) is very difficult, nay impossible.
I have accumulated many consoles since getting here, gamecube, n64, dreamcast, genesis 1 and 2, gameboy and a few other bits and pieces (a psx aswell) but was still missing my all time fave, the pc engine.

So I decided in light of what had happened with Yogzi and my pretty bad financial situation that I would try building a stand alone console that ran emulators, but free of wires, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

The end result was named the 'Yogs' (yu omnifunctional game system) and is documented in it's entirety on my personal website.

If you would like to see this system please visit my site here..

http://jtutton.home.comcast.net/

I would like to thank the authors right now for the wonderful magic engine emulator, and wish you all a happy and prosperous future with it Smile

Andy
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fugging crap, batman! Shocked

If it weren't for the legal issues with roms, you'd have the Infinium guys and their Phantom (Hell and even the EvilBox) licked.

Amazing, dude. It's like a Supergun made for emulation. Now if you can add RGB (Come on, don't tell me it's not hard to go back to regular composite after trying RGB) to that thing... Drool

Again, pretty cool. Applause
KatoKen
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specineff wrote:
Holy fugging crap, batman! Shocked

If it weren't for the legal issues with roms, you'd have the Infinium guys and their Phantom (Hell and even the EvilBox) licked.

Amazing, dude. It's like a Supergun made for emulation. Now if you can add RGB (Come on, don't tell me it's not hard to go back to regular composite after trying RGB) to that thing... Drool

Again, pretty cool. Applause

Thanks man Smile

Youre pretty much spot on tbh, it is like a supergun made for emulation, and was cheap as dirt too (one shitty PC and about $60 in parts...)

As for adding RGB, well Im in the USA now (used to live in london UK) so they dont use it here... theyre into Svideo and component (no RGB or scart Sad)

However, I do know that the outputs of a computer videocard *is* in RGB with vert and hoz sync so it would be piss easy to make a RGB cable providing you could solder well and knew the input positions of a 24 pin scart plug (making sure the TV set supported RGB of course)

I used to make arcade machines also, and once made IMO the world's smallest (using an 8 inch playchoice monitor and external sticks)

It was completely portable, imagine the looks on my friend's faces when I used to turn up on their doorstep with an arcade machine under my arm ready with a JAMMA board to kick their arse at streetfighter Very Happy

Ahh, you cant beat fiddling with electronics Smile
KatoKen
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i noticed youre in arizona...

Odd, how do you use RGB on tv sets here?

In the UK we have a system called scart which is pretty much a massive rectangular plug with 24 pins in it, but Ive not seen one on a telly here....
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Engine Fan X and I frequent another forum, www.shmups.com. There is a certain gentleman by the name of Matt, who customizes cables for our systems, to be run in either arcade monitors, Amiga monitors, or Sony PVM monitors, all of them with RGB.

I currently own an Amiga 1080 monitor, and have my Saturn, Genesis, Master System, PSX/PS2 and Turbo Grafx (Through a special mod) hooked up to it.

Of course, there is also the XRGB2+, which lets you connect any RGB capable system to a computer monitor. Both setups are da shizz when it comes to picture quality. Dancing
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that is one kick ass piece of hardware!

I seriously, and whole-heartedly commend you in honoring your passed on friends memory, by building something, and sticking to it until it was completed. It is very easy to give up in frustration, and despair, but the memory of a very close friend kept you going, and i freaking love it. Good/great friends are hard to come by, and when you lose one, man does it ever hurt.

I am sure your friend would be proud of you for this! Very Happy

I would LOVE to have one of those(too lazy to build one my self),and i am sure if you made this into a hobby, others would buy one as well. Not sure if that interests you, but i threw it out there anyway.

Wink

I too am a HUGE PC Engine freak, and would eat the corn outta a trailer park fat momma's shit for the entire collection of PC Engine paraphanelia. Agreed-it's the best system ever made. There are other great systems, but this one little white one had some voodoo/magic/speciality to it, that none of the others had.
KatoKen
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he would indeed have been tickled pink knowing that I did this Smile

I built him two sticks for his supergun a couple of years ago and he was well happy Smile

Thanks for the comments, but I dont think Ill sell them, the word sell within 5 miles of emulators and roms is just so wrong to me....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: