MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Everything works but no CD audio
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethylene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kaminari:

Wow! That's quite a long way to ride an old motherboard! Actually, I can't talk, I'm still using a slotted 440BX board, too Smile

@ezra

Okay, if I were you I would reinstall the OS after getting all your latest drivers and flashing all your BIOS, just like Kaminari recommends. But I'm sure you can get your sound working without reinstalling the OS, too. In fact, you should try to do that so you know what to do when and if you decide to reinstall the OS.

Those Win98 drivers should be okay. If you run Win98SE, you're fine. I think what Kaminari was concerned with was if you were trying to run Win98SE drivers in Win98. The deal is, Win98 supports only one kind of driver, VXD, while Win98SE supports two, VXD and WDM. WDM is the newer type of driver, like what's used in WinXP. It's a good thing you've got Win98SE, because soon enough, official VXD support will cease altogether. Sad, isn't it?

Back to your problem... Let's take it one step at a time. Be patient, and we'll be able to help get you going again. First, take a look at your Device Manager. Do you have any Exclamations?

C2H4
ezra
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now in the Device Manager it sz VIA AC 97 (WDM). As I am running 98SE that should work. I can get it to have Exclamation s? just by removeing the device reseting and not installing a driver for the new hardware. In both instances if I try to install or update the 98SE driver Win 98SE does not recognize the VIA (WDM) as the correct driver. I then force it.

Quote:
Those Win98 drivers should be okay. If you run Win98SE, you're fine. I think what Kaminari was concerned with was if you were trying to run Win98SE drivers in Win98. The deal is, Win98 supports only one kind of driver, VXD, while Win98SE supports two, VXD and WDM. WDM is the newer type of driver, like what's used in WinXP. It's a good thing you've got Win98SE, because soon enough, official VXD support will cease altogether. Sad, isn't it?

So since 98SE supports both VXD and WDM but 98 only supports VXD...when I used the Win98 patch that may have changed something as though it was in the 98 OS in regards to the VXD "format"...So if the OS is now expecting the VIA Win98 driver (VXD format)... I can try to use that driver as opposed to the Win 98SE driver.
But if the patch was good for NT/2000/XP as well does that make my thoery mush?
ethylene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Device Manager's okay. Now do these things:

- In Control Panel, open up Multimedia Properties. Make sure that the VIA WDM Driver is the one selected for all sound and MIDI inputs/outputs.

- Make sure you have 'Show volume control on the taskbar' checked.

- Open the mixer, unmute the proper channels, and set their volumes.

- Check your AUTOEXEC.BAT file and see what SOUND= or BLASTER= variables are being set, if any. If you find any, type the word REM followed by a space at the beginning of each line. Also, see if any SB emulation TSR programs are being loaded, and REM them out, too.

I'm thinking that your system's SB emulation TSR setup could have possibly inserted some lines into your AUTOEXEC.BAT thay may interfere with operation of the WDM driver. Can anyone else confirm or disprove this?

Quote:
So since 98SE supports both VXD and WDM but 98 only supports VXD...when I used the Win98 patch that may have changed something as though it was in the 98 OS in regards to the VXD "format"...So if the OS is now expecting the VIA Win98 driver (VXD format)... I can try to use that driver as opposed to the Win 98SE driver.
But if the patch was good for NT/2000/XP as well does that make my thoery mush?

Hmm... I don't know. I'd assume that the driver's installation would auto-select the WDM format. Anyone else know?

It's okay though, ezra, as long as it's working in Device Manager, we should be able to get it working. We're close, I tell you! Very Happy

Post back your results!

C2H4
ezra
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I opened Multimedia in the Contol Panel and made sure Audio, midi and Mixer devices have the VIA 97 WDM driver selected(the only one avaiable)

'Show volume control on the taskbar' checked.

I went into Windows and edited AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SB Emulation Enabled
Before

C:\VIAUDIO\VIAUDIO.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D0 P300
SET GRIP=C:\GRAVIS\CORESO~1
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\GRAVIS\CORESO~1

After

C:\VIAUDIO\VIAUDIO.COM
SET BLASTER=REM A220 I5 D0 P300

No change yet

note: When the SB Emu is Enabled I do not get the single beep during initial boot in DOS telling me all's good.
When the SB Emulation is Disabled I do get the single beep during Boot in DOS... but no sound beyond that.
ethylene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, disable the SB emulation in BIOS, and make your AUTOEXEC.BAT look like this:

REM C:\VIAUDIO\VIAUDIO.COM
REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D0 P300

Restart your machine, and try MagicEngine.

Hey Kaminari, you've used AC '97 codec before, am I leading ezra in the right direction? Embarassed

I'm thinking that the SB emulation is only for legacy DOS apps. Since MagicEngine runs in Windows, you shouldn't need it. (You had sound before with it off, remember?)

C2H4
ezra
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, SB Emu off

I added REM [space] at the beginning of the first two lines.

Result: I get the single beep when I reboot... no sound beyond that

note: I have been getting a very, very low swirling sound from the speakers when Widnows first opens and it should be making that "volume increasing ringing sound" since the trouble started.

When I try to run Magic Engine the PC hangs at a black screen again. Yame hangs with only the tool bar accessable without being able to run a game or exit back to windows. ctrl+alt+del doesn't work in either case of ME or Yame.

This problem was eleviated in the past after I updated the VIA driver about six times and used my back up harddrive as primary to discover that the VIA chip was still working. I ran ME and Yame on that drive no prob...replaced my main drive as the primary and then then both ME and Yame worked. I can't say exactly what got the Emus working again at that time or what's got them hanging again at this point.
ethylene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Damn, I thought that would work.

Last couple things I can think of:

- Check for options you can play with under the VIA WDM driver in Device Manager.

- You did check the volume levels in the mixer, and the mute options, right?

- Under Multimedia Properties in Control Panel, you have a few controls, including Hardware Acceleration. I'd try playing with any and all of them.

- Actually, a really good idea is to go to Google and do some searches like 'A7V-E sound problem OR trouble OR working'. You should then be able to see if this is a known issue among ASUS users. You may also want to repeat the search in Google Groups.

Phew... I'm out of ideas. Confused

C2H4
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethylene wrote:

Wow! That's quite a long way to ride an old motherboard! Actually, I can't talk, I'm still using a slotted 440BX board, too Smile

Cool

Since I'm an Amigan at heart, I've always been used to pull the most from my hardware. When I decided to upgrade my PC after two years of (*cough*) faithful service, I just hated the idea of being forced to change everything from the ground up. Looking for information about slocket adapters was a PITA, but it was well worth it in the end.

ethylene wrote:

Hey Kaminari, you've used AC '97 codec before, am I leading ezra in the right direction? Embarassed

I'm thinking that the SB emulation is only for legacy DOS apps. Since MagicEngine runs in Windows, you shouldn't need it. (You had sound before with it off, remember?)

Damn...

The point is, I never had any kind of audio issue with the Asus driver under Win98. So this is getting really difficult diagnosing the bottom of the problem.

But Ezra, I have to repeat that there's no point installing the driver if you don't update the BIOS. That's not to say things will get better after updating; it's just that BIOS updates are not made for nothing and they can potentially resolve your problem.

Let's get back to the beginning. Ethylene is right, in the first place you shouldn't need the SB Pro emulation for the chipset to work. If the chipset is handled by DirectX, then it should work with any DirectX compliant application. That includes Magic Engine if I'm not mistaken (old Allegro support was dropped a long time ago).

Before reinstalling Windows as a last resort (ooch), do as I say:

- leave the SB emu disabled (both in BIOS and in autoexec.bat)
- update the BIOS (1004 rev)
- reinstall the latest AC97 driver for Win98 (the one called 'VIA Audio Driver 1.40a for Windows 95/98')
- make another log with Magic Engine so we can guess what's going on

Don't panic for the BIOS update, it's really not a big deal if you follow the right instructions. Look for the light bulb icon called 'BIOS Flash note' at the upper right of the A7V-E Release Zone, get AFlash and keep your head cool.

There's also a patch for the 1.40a driver called 'VIA Audio Driver 1.40a--Audio Patch Driver for Windows 98/ME/NT40/2000/XP'. I don't know what it's supposed to do. You can try applying it after having updated the BIOS and installed the aforementioned driver. It seems to be more recent than the driver itself, so it can only be a good thing.

Sorry, I wish I was at your place to help you resolve the trouble. Rolling Eyes

--

"Bothan spies died to bring you these BIOS updates!" (Kurt Cobain)
ezra
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kaminari

I will update the BIOS tonight. I'm confident it will only help me. the"'VIA Audio Driver 1.40a--Audio Patch Driver for Windows 98/ME/NT40/2000/XP"
is what I installed when this prob. occured in the first place.

@ethylene

I went searching for VIA 97 chip set probs. and found a forum that is riddled with probs and solutions. One of the suggestions was to use the "Advance 97 (WDM)" sound driver. I did and now I have sound. When I replace the Advance driver with the VIA driver...still no sound. I replace the VIA driver with the Advance driver, sound returns, Magic Engine works and I'm in bliss.

Note: I did reinstall the OS before doing the above and nothing changed.
I still think that the patch changed something in the OS...funny that the reinstall changed nothing though.

So even though all is well I will try the new BIOs update and then see if the VIA driver works.

Thanks for all your help ethylene and Kaminari
todd
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! After spending far too much time with a computer that couldn't reasonably emulate any console more recent than the NES, I finally picked up an XP 2000. Since then, I've had a lot of fun playing around with emulators, including the excellent Magic Engine (thanks!).

Anyway, I'm having the same problem. When I am playing a CD game under Magic Engine, I have to plug my headphones in to the front of the CD drive to hear the CD audio. The PCM-generated sound comes out of the usual sound jack (green hole on the back of the computer case). When I play a music CD using any other program, I don't have to use the jack on the front of the CD drive. Furthermore, I can also hear both CD audio and computer-generated audio at the same time under all other programs.

I'm using a Sound Blaster PCI128 sound card under Windows XP right now. I'm quad-booting Linux, DOS, Windows 98, and XP, so I could also try it under 98 if that might make a difference at all.
ezra
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Todd. If your motherboard or sound card has two CD or audio inputs (one may say AUX), try the second one. That's what worked for me.
Voodoo Child
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Sorta the same problem Reply with quote

I have similar problem - No audio from speakers but Can get Audio from cd drive headset Jack.

Have Asus A7v266-E with Audio On Board - Running Win98se and have Updated Audio Drivers from net - No problems with sound from playing roms - just seems to be cd that's giving me the run around.

[SOUND INIT]
init sound timer... OK
init direct sound interface... OK
set cooperative level... OK
create primary buffer... OK
setup primary buffer: freq=44100 channels=2 bits=16... OK
alloc sound buffer... OK
play sound buffer... OK
check sound buffer... OK
scanning sound card... found 1 sound card(s)
checking sound card mixer ("C-Media Wave Device" v5.0)...
+SPEAKERS: vol = 100 [00000000/0000FFFF]
-WAVEOUT [ 0] vol = 100 [00000000/0000FFFF]
-SYNTHESIZER [ 1] vol = 96 [00000000/0000FFFF]
-LINE [ 2] vol = 85 [00000000/0000FFFF]
-MICROPHONE [ 3] vol = 36 [00000000/0000FFFF]
-COMPACTDISC [ 4] vol = 100 [00000000/0000FFFF] (selected as CD input line)
-ANALOG [ 5] vol = 100 [00000000/0000FFFF]
-LINE [ 6] vol = 95 [00000000/0000FFFF]
+WAVEIN:
+UNDEFINED:
master audio volume... 100 (100)
fx audio volume... 100 (100)
cd audio volume... 100 (100)

[BACKUP RAM]
loading backup RAM database index file : "config\backup.idx"... OK
checking database... 23 bank(s) found
clear and initialize a new backup RAM

[CD-ROM INIT]
scanning NT scsi drivers...
- G: error!
- H: error!
checking CD-ROM drives... no adapter found!
opening ASPI DLL... OK
scanning ASPI devices...
- drive 0: adapter=0, unit=0, lun=0 [type=5]
- drive 1: adapter=0, unit=1, lun=0 [type=5]
select drive 0
CD-ROM timeout set to 0
create dummy rom... OK
searching game backup RAM in database [10000001|00000000]... not found

[HUCARD]
opening ROM file : "syscard3.pce"... OK
loading ROM... OK
searching game backup RAM in database [6D9A73EF|00000000]... not found
todd
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've settled on extracting iso images from my CDs and then mounting them with Daemon Tools, since I couldn't find any other solution. This has the added bonus of keeping the CD drive quiet during play, but on the other hand, it takes a while when I want to play a game for the first time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: