MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

ISO / MP3 support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inzanerm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: ISO / MP3 support Reply with quote

is there any possibility for magic engine to add iso/mp3 support? (like Gens for example) It would be very handy not to have to burn all the games or consume 700MB of disk space to have an image built so u can play... pleasee add it! Laughing Very Happy
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Got your games at piracy-r-us eh... Reply with quote

I don't think David supports piracy so your only options are playing your legitimate cd's or burning the Evil or Very Mad evil Twisted Evil ones you got.....
inzanerm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what piracy are u talking about? the system is DEAD for like 7+ years now... and don't tell me that u own ALL your cd-games... I get pissed of when people talk about piracy for dead systems... Mad
Danjuro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'sn't 'dead', but that's another matter.

If you really need to play Dracula X and Sapph... errm, with pirate games, try your luck with some daemon tools shit or whatever clone cd stuff (go figure how I manage to give such advice why I don't have a peecee, mmm *ponders*). As Jabberwork said David's attitude towards piracy has always been straight.

Just on a side note I think most of us are jackasses that bought their PC-Engine games (well at least I'm dumb enough to have done this, sorry). With a few exceptions, you can get about any game for 10$ or much much less.

Peace.
inzanerm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do u mean NOT DEAD??? is nec making new pc-engines? is anyone out there making commercial games for it? please enlighten me! and if someone wants iso/mp3 support, this does not always mean that he needs it for playing games that he does not own. I do not want to use my pce cd's on my pc, for reasons that I do not have to explain here. I just asked david if he can add support, I do not need any "crusader" telling me bout piracy shit.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Flame Wars... Isn't that the title of a bad flick...? Reply with quote

Beware of the moderator, inzanerm.

I too get easily pissed off by people who can't tell the difference between 'public domain' (which you wrongly imply by 'commercially dead') and so-called 'abandonware' (which is piracy, but kind of legitimated when games are indeed commercially dead). I don't condone piracy, but I don't condemn abandonware either.

PC Engine games are not public domain. Believe it or not, they are still copyrighted material. No Japanese publisher makes money out of them anymore, that's right. Actually, the only people that get rich today are all the thieves out there who can convince you that Sapphire is worth 450$.

As for your vehement reaction, it would be easier for you if you were not contradicting yourself...

inzanerm wrote:
if someone wants iso/mp3 support, this does not always mean that he needs it for playing games that he does not own. I do not want to use my pce cd's on my pc, for reasons that I do not have to explain here.

I tend to agree, but four messages earlier you said:

inzanerm wrote:
It would be very handy not to have to burn all the games

Question

Explain how you come to rip all your games only to reburn them later, when you could have copy them directly? CDR copies are made for (erm) back-up purposes, ISO are clearly meant for redistribution. Sorry dude, but you're not really convincing Wink

Well, I don't have any lesson to teach you. You know, all my NEC games are original. Still I need abandonware for all those Mega CD and Saturn games that I overlooked a long time ago and are difficult to get today. I don't feel uneasy with that at all... Anyway, I don't think anybody set himself up as a 'crusader' (what the f...) in the first place. No need to jump at the gun and becoming insulting.

You asked for ISO support. ISO is mainly used as a piracy medium. People rightly want to remind that piracy is not a cool thing and that David Michel doesn't think it's a good idea to implement ISO support in Magic Engine. And technically speaking, I just hate ISO+MP3 in emulators, that plainly sucks.

Final point: use Daemon Tools and live happy with your back-ups Smile
John Constantine
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, the only people that get rich today are all the thieves out there who can convince you that Sapphire is worth 450$.

Where I come from, that's called being on drugs.

Quote:
And technically speaking, I just hate ISO+MP3 in emulators, that plainly sucks.

Well, I guess if you're deaf or something you might actually enjoy playing those games with mp3 support but anyone who's got at least as many ears as Van Gogh can tell using mp3s is plain shite and, case in point, including mp3 support is clearly condoning piracy.

and that's when the crap burries the fan:

Quote:
and don't tell me that u own ALL your cd-games...

That means I shouldn't tell you but I do own all my cd games. That's one of the silliest arguments I've ever read. I'm not sure you're posting on the right forum. You should look around dal sodding net or something, you'll be way happier there.

Quote:
is anyone out there making commercial games for it?

Sorry my mistake for that silliest argument thing just above, I had forgotten that one. Unless you can prove me wrong, I'll just state that pce games haven't fallen in public domain yet and won't for some time.

I'll leave the moral of all this to Kaminari:
Quote:
Final point: use Daemon Tools and live happy with your back-ups

I'll just add one thing: take all that money you saved by not buying those games and go buy yourself a clue please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right guys, I'm gonna break this up before it erupts into a big flame war.. I just got done with one on the same subject in a different MB, & believe me, it got really ugly... Very Happy

The fact is, we have ppl who have a problem with "abadonware" piracy & others who don't... Like it or not, we both exist in the same world Smile...

You don't need to preach down & take a self-righteous stance on someone to make a point. If you have a problem with it, state it clearly & leave it at that.. You don't have to insult the other person, etc...

Now, what really matters here is if Dave Michel has a problem with it, he's not gonna add mp3/iso support.. So that's all that really needs to be said..

As for me, i don't have a problem with it if it's abadonware.. Copyrights are still valid for Atari 2600/7800 games etc... But i don't think you'll have the FBI knocking on your door if you d/l ROM images of them... I don't think the entire world population should be limited only to the existing print of a game for an abadonware system.... The developers have made all the money they're gonna make for it, so you're probably not hurting them(true, there's no way to tell for sure).

Now as for ISO/MP3 format, it's terrbile for several reasons, audio quality loss, syncing errors, the game may crash etc(but that's not what we're debating of course)... But, you can still use it with ME... The other reason is that David Michel won't add MP3/ISO support is because he doesn't need to.. You can use Damon tools (http://www.daemon-tools.org/daemon_tools.htm) to mount a CUE referring to an ISO/MP3 file set, or bin/cue etc... And play the game at top speed since you're working off a harddrive..

If your CDROM is slow you can dump your CD to bin/cue preferrably or ISO/mp3 & play it nice & fast using Daemon, so there you go... Only detail is you have to know how to make a CUE for a mp3/iso set.

Is it wrong to copy an abandonware game? If the developers/distributors have sold out their stock & there will never be plans to re-print it, along with the console product itself being defunct, i would say no, it's probably not.. Is it legal??? Technically, no it's not.. The copyright is in effect, so it's been rendered illegal & you have no legal right to copy the game...

Now, if you're pirating PSX, PS2, etc. games, which are currently being printed & sold on the market by developers/publishers, then you're really causing damage to the gaming industry...

Anyhow, that's my view on abandonware.. like it or hate it.. it's there. Now, you can make a million arguments with either view, but if you do, try to keep it civil & present your argument(s) as if you were talking to the person face to face Smile.. I don't like cowards who say whatever they want & flame because they're shielded behind a PC... (i.e. If you were in a bar with 6ft biker guys with long hair, preaching to them about piracy, i think you would present your rational & logical arguments in a civilized and non-offensive manner.... I seriously doubt you would get away with flaming them or try for that matter Smile )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightWolve wrote:
(i.e. If you were in a bar with 6ft biker guys with long hair, preaching to them about piracy, i think you would present your rational & logical arguments in a civilized and non-offensive manner.... I seriously doubt you would get away with flaming them or try for that matter Smile )

Those are words of wisdom, NightWolve Smile

Though I know for sure it wouldn't be much of a problem for John Constantine Wink
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: There we go again... Reply with quote

Let's all cool down guys.

What's wrong with buying some cheap cd's? There is an import shop close to where I live and the clerk always calls me when he gets a new PCE game or can get one (I own all the american ones except camp california, which im not that all eager to get Wink ). And paying 200$ for Dracula X was no problem at all for me, BUT paying 50$ for an unknown japanese rpg which I could never play sux... Heck, most of the time I can't even read the title! Wink ). If I can easily get some of the games off the internet does that mean to stop collecting my PCE games? of course not, its a hobby, for some it's coins, others it's stamps for me it's PCE cd's...

I only collect PCE cd's, no japanese hu-cards Wink .

Emulation has it's dark side : someone can't possibly own everything he downloaded, that's a fact. But most of the time I try...

I actually own an arcade game so I can download one single rom for M.A.M.E. the only problem is, it's Lee trevino's fighting golf Crying or Very sad

As to all the other game I don't physically own, Ill keep it to myself so everybody remains happy.
inzanerm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to straight things out Kaminari, when I said it's cool not to have the cd's burnt I mean that I prefer NOT to use any kind of cd, and rip mine in iso/mp3 and not make any backups...

and u all say iso/mp3 is piracy, david does not condone piracy, etc... well if someone wants to play games that he does not own he will simply burn them! the lack of iso/mp3 support will not stop him, capisci?
inzanerm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, nightwolf, daemon tools does not support mp3 in cue files...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inzanerm wrote:
just to straight things out Kaminari, when I said it's cool not to have the cd's burnt I mean that I prefer NOT to use any kind of cd, and rip mine in iso/mp3 and not make any backups...

Yeah... right Wink

inzanerm wrote:
btw, nightwolf, daemon tools does not support mp3 in cue files...

Indeed. Bloody Daemon Tools. You still could convert your MP3 back to Wave, but I guess that's not what you're looking for.

Get VirtualDrive instead. Commercial, but cheap and really good at that.

http://farstone.com/home/en/html/productsvdp.htm
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my fault... That's right, you have to convert the mp3 to wav first using something like "Easy Audio File Converter" (http://www.poikosoft.com/)...

No big deal, you can store them in mp3, then when you want to play just convert them (converting is no big deal)... CDRWIN recently added direct MP3 support thru cues, so maybe daemon will catch up.. But anyway, in general, don't expect mp3/iso sets to work correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inzanerm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well screw it! before I edit I was picking on kaminari for not believing me and calling him names, but screw it. I will not be a low-level human starting to argue... u may think what u want Rolling Eyes

I bet d-tools will add mp3 support soon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: