MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Gens vs. Magic Engine...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prophet (Retrogames)
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Gens vs. Magic Engine... Reply with quote

David, have you tried Gens with CD ISO support? I finally tried this feature and it's BRILLIANT! It works amazingly well! I know you're a PC-Engine fan, but anyone would enjoy the Lunar games. =)

You MUST add ISO/MP3 support to ME someday. Smile It's just sooo nice not to have to insert a physical CD, and/or burn CD's, plus it makes storing the CD games easier since an entire game can take up much less space. Only slight issue is that many PCE CD games are being distributed with MP3Pro encoded music tracks, and I have no idea if that's harder to implement than standard MP3.

I'm telling you, loading CD games as easily as loading ROM images is addictive!
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dump the image in bin/cue & use it with daemon tools... The latest deamon tools works beatifully with ME, there's no need for Dave to add mp3/ISO support, plus he never will... Anyhow, PCEngine CDs are flawed as mp3/iso format, as most game code within specifies to play audio at sector value XXXX.. Given that an original CD & a mp3/iso CD will take a different amout of sectors to store & that all sector offsets will be changed, chances are the game will not work properly... The sector offset of where audio starts is hardcoded & not dynamically loaded off the TOC... It's true, you can get some to work, with the best case scenario being some syncing errors... In the worst case, the game crashes...

The only thing that i saw that compensates for this fact is with HUGo's (www.zeograd.com) HCD files, which let's you specify a "lsn" in the file for each track.. so you obtain that value from an original CD & put it there, it can work more properly... But creating this file takes time and requires some computer savvy skills... E.g.

[track1]
filename=RIPP\YsIV-01.mp3
begin=lsn,0

[track2]
type=CODE
filename=RIPP\YsIV-02.ISO
begin=lsn,3590

[track3]
filename=RIPP\YsIV-03.mp3
begin=lsn,36660
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raligard
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Just as an aside on this topic Reply with quote

I have noticed that the CD games do as previously mentioned go to a specific point on the CD to start playing the audio. I tried to back-up a CD and then ran the back up. It ran, but it did not space the tracks exactly as they had been spaced on the original CD. This caused the audio tracks to start 1 to several seconds into the track and then near the end of the track it would overflow slightly into the next track.

If anyone has pointers on how to avoid this please do let me know, thanks a lot! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: