MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Adaptoid and Magic Engine...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zektor
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Adaptoid and Magic Engine... Reply with quote

Before I begin with my complaint, I just want to sat that I absolutely love Magic Engine...which is why I registered a long while back! Now, unto my complaint/question. I was under the assumption that ME uses any DirectX controller. I was using a Microsoft Sidewinder up until now and it worked fine. I just got an adaptoid adapter (http://www.wishtech.com)...it basically allows the connection of a N64 joypad to the PC via USB and it fully DirectX compliant. It works perfect in every other emulator I use, except magic engine. When I go to configure the joystick, the screen goes crazy and will not allow me to set the joystick or buttons at all. Can anyone help me get this thing going?
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Maybe, just maybe... Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I think that the problem is DirectX itself. Because you see, Magic Engine uses DirectX 3 for compatibility with Windows NT. Since Direct X 3 is quite old, I believe that, at the time DirectX programers didn't think that we'd use usb adapters with non-pc controllers any time soon... This may explain it as I tried 5 different pc gamepads (connected to the midi port of course Cool) .

But remember : this is all speculation from my part Wink . David?
zektor
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: That sounds possible... Reply with quote

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. If this is really the case, will it be possible to release a version of Magic Engine that is DX8.1 to enable these controllers? Just a request for the next version Smile
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a version of Magic Engine that is DX8.1 to enable these controllers?

Unfortunately this whould require a different ME core, witch David is allready working on as I write these lines... In time, The best PC engine emulator will become even better (yes, hard to beleve is'nt it?) Razz .
zektor
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. This is hands down the best emulator for the TG16 out there, and even if the support never happens for this controller, I'm still so very happy to be able to play my old TG classics once again. Thanks Dave and Cedric!
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe, just maybe... Reply with quote

Jabberwok wrote:

But remember : this is all speculation from my part Wink . David?

Yes, in fact DirectX 3 has no gamepad support, Razz the first version that had gamepad support was DirectX 5, prior to that you had to rely on Windows gamepad functions - which are quite limited. MagicEngine use these Windows functions, it works ok in most cases, even with USB pads, but sometimes it doesn't want to work, never found the reason to this. Sad

Lets hope that all the problem with go away when I will switch to DirectX 8. Smile
zektor
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Cool! Reply with quote

That'll be great! I really can't wait until I can use N64 joysticks on TG16 games. That will really be strange...but cool! At least now I know it's a DirectX issue and not something just wrong on my end. Thanks for the friendly replies!

-Bruce
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: USB Gamepads Reply with quote

Hmm.. I have a Gravis Gamepad Pro USB, and my system has DirectX 8; so far, I haven't had a single problem with any emulator or game, (except Raine) including ME. Guess I just got lucky. Now if it was the same with Raine...
sin
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this exact same problem. I posted a thread in the bug reports groups.

The solution that worked for me was to open the pce.ini file and change the "auto_calibration" setting to the value of "50". Now my adaptoid is working fine.
zektor
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Sin, thank you! Reply with quote

Yes, that worked absolutely perfectly with my adaptoids! Now back to the games!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: