MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

ISO / MP3 support
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Constantine
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let the quoting game begin.

Quote:
Now, what really matters here is if Dave Michel has a problem with it, he's not gonna add mp3/iso support.. So that's all that really needs to be said..

As unbelievable as it might sound that was my point (although I got a bit carried away at some point in my original post).

Quote:
(i.e. If you were in a bar with 6ft biker guys with long hair, preaching to them about piracy, i think you would present your rational & logical arguments in a civilized and non-offensive manner.... I seriously doubt you would get away with flaming them or try for that matter )

Well, considering the quality of the arguments given so far, the said biker would have to be insanely drunk so I'd take chances anyway.
a) I could react that way in real life no matter what you say.
b) most people in real life don't feel the need to insult others' intelligence the way it was done here. They try to make a little sense...

Quote:
And paying 200$ for Dracula X was no problem at all for me, BUT paying 50$ for an unknown japanese rpg which I could never play sux...

Of course, those are the people I really hate. Bleeding leeches who decided they'd make loads of money by selling games for an arm a leg. I still can't believe they could really charge so much for a pce game. Anyway, if you want to find normal prices, you might want to check amazon.co.jp I think they have some. These
guys piss me off to no end (while that half deaf git here isn't really a nuisance, I just felt there was a serious lack of consistency in what he wrote).

Quote:
just to straight things out Kaminari, when I said it's cool not to have the cd's burnt I mean that I prefer NOT to use any kind of cd, and rip mine in iso/mp3 and not make any backups...

My bad here. If you really want to cause yourself high levels of pain by playing on ripped versions of games you actually own, I wouldn't be a good christian picking on you. You got my apologies for that.

Quote:
and u all say iso/mp3 is piracy, david does not condone piracy, etc... well if someone wants to play games that he does not own he will simply burn them! the lack of iso/mp3 support will not stop him, capisci?

Now, I'm bloody sorry but that's just inane. Nobody said David was going to curb piracy and bring world peace thanks to magic engine and those lightning he shoots with his eyes. However including the much discussed feature would be a giveaway to piracy for obvious reasons. Most people who would need this would because they have pirated games not because they have issues with inflicting themselves high levels of mp3 punishment. They could indeed bypass this by burning the actual game and not some downgrade version but at least, ME wouldn't have eased the task, that is the whole point you've been missing so far.

Now, I'm not saying you're lying or something but please, don't try to justify your ripping of your own games by defending abandonware. That's the lack of coherence I was mentionning earlier in this beauty of a post. That's incredibly beside the point, abandonware was not the main issue here and shouldn't be. Anyway, you should avoid doing that, I think that's what led some people here to believe you were lying.

Quote:
I will not be a low-level human starting to argue...

You're so damn right! Now, I'm sorry but I couldn't let this one slip. Arguing is the basis of our whole sodding civilization and you of all people here should know it. So, if debate is a form of low level mankind to you, well... I'm not even sure there's anything to add here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
inzanerm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,wiseguy, have it ur way...

1. if u think lack of iso/mp3 support blocks a little bit of "piracy" u r wrong. anyone with a brain and a cdr can burn a CUE.
2. actually I find it interesting to get a ripped game running ok. I may be a masochist, but I like it. and after u know how cues work, it is not that hard.
3. ALL your replies (except nightwolf) are useless. the only one that needed to answer was david, not all other crusaders that hate piracy and critisize.
4. I was not born knowing english, I am Greek, and maybe the word "argue" was not the right one, but if u want I can flame ur ass Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inzanerm wrote:
well screw it! before I edit I was picking on kaminari for not believing me and calling him names, but screw it.

Huh. Why should I get all the flame? Confused

inzanerm wrote:
ALL your replies (except nightwolf) are useless.

Wow... Now that's straight. And I thought my VirtualDrive link would be useful... Crying or Very sad

inzanerm wrote:
the only one that needed to answer was david, not all other crusaders that hate piracy and critisize.

Can't speak for him, but why do you think David didn't reply yet? Hmm?

You're really half deaf after all. You see 'criticizing people' all around you when there's only a bunch of fine pals arguing about the pros and cons of direct ISO+MP3 support in Magic Engine. That's debatable of course, and I think that's what this forum was made for. You know, arguing is about discussing, not quarreling. At least, that's what my Oxford English Dictionnary tells me.

Useless, got it... I'm outta this thread Cool
John Constantine
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yai! More fun coming your way!

Quote:
1. if u think lack of iso/mp3 support blocks a little bit of "piracy" u r wrong. anyone with a brain and a cdr can burn a CUE.

Now, you must have serious trouble reading, so I'll do it again in slow motion:

Quote:
Nobody said David was going to curb piracy and bring world peace thanks to magic engine and those lightning he shoots with his eyes.

I already said it was not about preventing piracy. It's about not condoning it. Can you even see the difference here? If that bloody ISO MP3 support thing was implemented, it would almost be a statement on David's part, saying "you can rip games all you want". It would make things easier for people who rip games. Not implementing it only means they'll have to use more casual burning ways, that won't prevent piracy but that won't make things easier for them and that is the whole fucking point here since the beginning. Now, if you answer again "but it won't prevent piracy", I'll seriously begin thinking you're braindead or something.

Quote:
2. actually I find it interesting to get a ripped game running ok. I may be a masochist, but I like it. and after u know how cues work, it is not that hard.

Get HUgo, that's the kind of poop you're looking for, period.

Quote:
3. ALL your replies (except nightwolf) are useless. the only one that needed to answer was david, not all other crusaders that hate piracy and critisize.

All this nonsense must be making baby Jesus crying now! I perfectly understand why you would consider my replies are useless but that's not fair to the others.

I never said I hated piracy, I said discussing abandonware was beside the point here. You are the one who decided to defend his need for ISO MP3 support by first answering "oh but that's not really piracy" and "who owns original games?" and then when you felt you were in for a firestorm "but I actually need the support because I rip my own games".
a) Nobody ever wanted to make this a piracy thread
b) We aren't on a holy war against piracy, we were just trying to explain why you'll never find that cheapo feature in ME.

By the way, Jabberwok's answer for example wasn't useless. That whole story about being legally able to play only Lee trevino's fighting golf on MAME is terribly sad (and yet fun) and I totally bear with him.

Quote:
4. I was not born knowing english, I am Greek, and maybe the word "argue" was not the right one, but if u want I can flame ur ass

Ah, I'm glad you stopped pretending you were discussing with us. You overdid that part quite a bit but it wasn't exactly believable.

Quote:
Huh. Why should I get all the flame?

Don't worry, he looks like a sharing guy.

Quote:
You know, arguing is about discussing, not quarreling. At least, that's what my Oxford English Dictionnary tells me.

Webster utterly agrees with that. Now lads that's another thing you can do: check online dictionnaries before saying all your dumb answers stem from your poor language skills.

Quote:
Useless, got it... I'm outta this thread

Not a bad idea, nothing to write home about anyway.
Fancia
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<pirate>
YAAAARRRR! I R TEH L33T PIRATE OF TEH INTARNET SEAS! I AM PIRATUING TEH GAEMES BECUASE NONE OWNS TEH ORIGANALS!
</pirate>

<anti-pirate>
OH NO YUO CANNOT PIERAT TEH ODL GAEMS IT SI WRONG!
</anti-pirate>

...and, to be fair (and perfectly accurate):

<Fancia>
LOKO TA ME I AM SO L33T AND FUNNI LOOK I CNA MAEK FUN OF TEH LOSARS ON TEH BOARD
</Fancia>

Well, that was a perfectly useless reply. ^.^
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Legitimacy Reply with quote

Legitimacy, a simple word. It's meaning is'nt that simple though... What is 'legit' and what is not? There is no REAL answer anywhere Sad .

Here is a personal 'problem' I have : I own an arcade machine. An old, beaten down cocktail Lee trevino's fighting golf (by snk). It was acctually was given to me by my boss as he wanted to trow it away since it does'nt work all the time (can't take the heat Wink ). So my point is, I physicaly own an object but I didn't pay for it (but a gift is still a possession I guess). By NOT paying for it and not receving a recept, does this makes me owner of the game's licence? CAN I upload it/download it from the web?

Questions, questions, too many questions...

Id like to see the law book the IDSA uses for hammering us down every chance they get... mame.dk out... why god why?
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancia, that *was* a really weird reply Smile

I know how you feel Jabberwok, but oh well.. God will judge & punish all, soo.. Smile

Anybody check out my Xak3 translation project(http://www.rigg.biz/rigg/translations/xakiii/index.html)??? I've also helped the Ys4 translation project(YES, YOU HEARD ME RIGHT, Ys4 - The Dawn of Ys will be translated to english & NOT TO FRENCH because we HATE France!!!!!!! Damn Frenchies.... And DAMN the EU!!!! That goes for Germany too, who should have had a foul called on them for that world cup shot!!! hehe, j/k) get going as well... A great day indeed!!!

BTW, to hack & translate a PCECD, you need to ripp it down to ISO & WAV Smile.. I don't have the Xak3 original, & i never would have looked at it, had I not been able to download it.. Translations, while not rendered illegal, are un-authorized, just as duplication is. Only difference being un-authorized duplication has been rendered illegal...

But anyway, let's not expend too much energy in arguing about this.. Pirates are evil, so they are.. Oh well.. boo hoo.. I'm now gonna cry about it...

*NightWolve cries sadly*

Last edited by NightWolve on Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:56 pm; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... Let's translate all those games first Wink
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: DROOL.................... Reply with quote

Ys 4 - The dawn of Ys in english? do you have ANY idea how many years i've wated to play this (and understand it)? you are some sort of demi-god or something... I mean, Ys 4?

I think the drool just shorted out my keybord (I really like Ys Wink ).

Btw, Xak3 looks really good too, looking forward to playing it but I should first get the game... I doubt the import shop I usually go to can get ther hands on it Sad This could get complicated...

Stay tuned.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightWolve wrote:
Anybody check out my Xak3 translation project

Any progress so far? I'll happily give a try to your latest patch.

NightWolve wrote:
I've also helped the Ys4 translation project

Cool. Things are shaping up. Too bad there's so few people involved in the PCE translation scene.

NightWolve wrote:
BTW, to hack & translate a PCECD, you need to ripp it down to ISO & WAV Smile

Sure. How would you do otherwise? Razz

No big deal. Working with CD-RWs proves to be fast and comfortable.

NightWolve wrote:
.. I don't have the Xak3 original, & i never would have looked at it, had I not been able to download it..

You can thank abandonware for that. And I never thought (nor told) that abandonware was a bad thing. So stop whining, please Crying or Very sad

My conceptions of abandonware is about games that would be sucked into limbo, had they not been preserved out of their original support. Nothing to do with the original subject of this thread, which I think John Constantine summed up pretty well.

NightWolve wrote:
Translations, while not rendered illegal, are un-authorized, just as duplication is. But anyway, let's not expend too much energy in arguing about this.. Pirates are evil, so they are.. Oh well.. boo hoo.. I'm now gonna cry about it...

Hey guys, what about a little common sense here? As far as translations are concerned, I wouldn't care in the slightest bit whether it's technically legal or not.

Just my two eurocents.

(And yes, we are still world champions for a few days more Wink )
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
NightWolve wrote:
Anybody check out my Xak3 translation project

You can thank abandonware for that. And I never thought (nor told) that abandonware was a bad thing. So stop whining, please Crying or Very sad

Uh, I'm not whining dude, i dunno why you'd think that.. I could have sworn the whining started regarding the iso/mp3 issue... That's just my opinion.. And I never really needed to post anything in this thread to begin with, I just didn't want it to get too ugly, so I posted other opinions regarding it...

But anyway, progress of Xak3 is here (http://www.rigg.biz/rigg/translations/xakiii/index.html) as well as a patch...

For Ys4, I helped the hacker Neill Corlett just abit,( the guy of SNES fame with Secret of Mana 3 & Bahamut Lagoon translations).. He uncovered the decompression algorithm for the text & so was able to dump the entire script.. Every text block begins with the same bytes, so it made dumping the whole script possible in one full swoop!! Smile

Shimarisu & Akimaru are translating the script atm, & so that's about all the progress so far....

OH, btw, the US will proudly never accept Euro currency of any type Smile Damned wretch'ed EU!!! To the flame with you & all your member nations Smile..

j/k (just friendly anti-EU rhetoric)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: