MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Spriggan Mark2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomaitheous wrote:

Wow. You did it! I don't believe my eyes. Congrats. Now if you can do that to Star Breaker, SO2, or screw those and look at Legend of Xanadu II, you are a God! Star Breaker & SO2 are the same shite, same company. I did take a look at Star Breaker way back, but same problem as SO2 with the 16x16 font.

David Shadoff wrote:
Well, NightWolve played a role in Tru's SO2 project. It was a difficult one to begin with - mixed 1-byte and 2-byte text without compression, and no space to fit the English text (since it's bigger than the correspnding Japanese). As far as I know, it was an all-manual effort, and Tru abandoned it.

Well, that's one way to put it. I pretty much dumped the whole script, set it up in my translation tool, manually translated menus, names, magic spells, then, per our agreement, handed it off to Tru to find a translator and manage full translation. He couldn't find anyone, and so did nothing. That was that. Smile He pestered me into the whole thing for nothing. I think I spent about 4 weeks on it.

Incidentally, I haven't publicized this very much, but after a few actual requests to release a patch for all the work I had done, I went ahead and did just that. Here's where you can get it (It's attached to my post which you should read first before trying to use it):

http://nick.serveblog.net/forums/index.php?topic=58.msg600#msg600

Everything you see on these screenshots below is pretty much what it'll do:

http://rigg.servegame.com/translations/so2/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, & there was much rejoicing. I've been wanting that patch for awhile. I know it's not much, but, you worked hard for it, I'm sure, so, I'm glad to be able to try it out!
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paranoia-

It would have to be a re-dub, I don't want to even tackle adding subtitles. I was toying with the idea of doing a re-dub for SM2, as the indie company I work with have a good amount of experience with audio and video dubbing, etc - if I could get the permission/royalty rights to press an English version. Though I really don't think that's going to happen as I don't have the means/time to track down who owns the copyrights to the original game, music, and artwork(manual).

NightWolve, I was planning on Legend of Xanadu II as my next project, but when I located the compressed text (two stage), I figured I'd wait on tackling the compression scheme. I learned about the unfinished Star Breaker project from D and Matow.

Quote:
If I could do translations, I'd want to translate the entire CF series and do a non-localized translation of Exile.

Since Exile is in English and with a working roman font routine, it shouldn't be too hard to re-work the text for a non-localized translation/version, Nod.

I actually just ordered CF3, CF4-1, and CF4-2. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Quote:
mixed 1-byte and 2-byte text without compression, and no space to fit the English text (since it's bigger than the correspnding Japanese).

Same problem with SM2, but after the text compression code, 95% of the time the replacement English compressed text string was smaller than the original S-JIS text. I hope SB has couple of static banks with some free code.

Quote:
Seriously, more translation projects is always a good thing.

And if you need/want any help/advice, I like playing the role of "advisor" or "coder of special bits", and would be happy to lend a hand wherever it's needed.

Agreed Very Happy Thanks Dave ( I might call you on that Wink )
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightWolve wrote:

Well, that's one way to put it. I pretty much dumped the whole script, set it up in my translation tool, manually translated menus, names, magic spells, then, per our agreement, handed it off to Tru to find a translator and manage full translation. He couldn't find anyone, and so did nothing. That was that. Smile He pestered me into the whole thing for nothing. I think I spent about 4 weeks on it.

Holy crow - I had no idea that the script had been dumped and all that. I seriously thought it was all hunt-and replace by hand. My apologies for misrepresenting the situation.

Actually, even though it might not be worth the effort to re-implant, it might be kind of cool to have the script around... since it's just collecting dust anyway.

Tomaitheous wrote:

NightWolve, I was planning on Legend of Xanadu II as my next project, but when I located the compressed text (two stage), I figured I'd wait on tackling the compression scheme.

You've located part of the script ? Let me take a look - where is it ? I might recognize something about the compression scheme (Ys 4 and Emerald Dragon were nearly identical compression...).

Tomaitheous wrote:

David Shadoff wrote:

mixed 1-byte and 2-byte text without compression, and no space to fit the English text (since it's bigger than the correspnding Japanese).

Same problem with SM2, but after the text compression code, 95% of the time the replacement English compressed text string was smaller than the original S-JIS text. I hope SB has couple of static banks with some free code.

Indeed. English has a lot more repeating sequences, so it compresses a lot nicer. And if you know something about the compression scheme, you can edit your translation a bit to favor the compression scheme...

The Japanese compresses so poorly, I'm shocked that they bothered to compress it at all !
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you do decide to do dubbing, keep me in mind. I got a great mic, & I have a million & 1 voices. Though, really, I've haven't done any voice work or music for Frozen Utopia since before I moved, I've just had alot of crap to get done around my house, but, I'm still willing to do whatever it takes, for FU or for anyone else, if it's a project I'm interested in. I can always find time somewhere. And my new place is, ever so gradually coming together, with some of my sanity in tact.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - here is the info I gathered on Xanadu II.

Code:

<opening boat level>

[CPU]
$75:1760($0EB760) compressed text (found @ $100F60 in ISO).
$6B:0A8E uncompressed text

$3c63 - part of the decompression code(in ram)

After the text is decompressed, the S-JIS katakana/hirogana/num are left compressed as single byte indexes to a table in ram($1060 in ISO) that points to the S-JIS value.
Code:
$2800 + (byte<<2)+$22

-Rich
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting text snippet. Whatever that is, it's different from Ys4 and Emerald Dragon's text compression. Looks like a token-substitution type instead of run-length. I wonder if the token list is different per game section (ie. dynamically built at compile-time), or whether it's the same throughout the whole game (built once) ?

I'll have to take a closer look sometime.
turbofan1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I completely missed the patch for SO2 in Nightwolves forum.
Looks like 74 people have downloaded it,so theres more than A few people
interested in that project.Even if it just translates the shop menues ect...

Glad to see theres still a few people interested in translating pce games.
Keep it goin.
Matow
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Nightwolve that looks pretty good. How hard was that to do?
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matow Very Happy

It took little while to find and decipher the text display routine. It wasn't hard, just took some time. Though I've learned a lot on that project. First thing I do now is trap for $E060 and work backwards from there.

Auleria was easier to hack (not finished yet)

Peperocket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impresive !

Tom, you really ROX !!!
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Very Happy
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, you rock Tomaitheous!

Tomaitheous wrote:
Hey Matow Very Happy

It took little while to find and decipher the text display routine. It wasn't hard, just took some time. Though I've learned a lot on that project. First thing I do now is trap for $E060 and work backwards from there.

Auleria was easier to hack (not finished yet)
I have Auleria and never got too far in it. You've re-kindled my interest! The manual makes it look like a kool game, IMO. I'll have to go back to it.

Have you ever looked at Sorcerian? Does it have some wacky compression scheme? Just curious, since those are two games that strike my fancy, but I've never played much of either of them ... Smile
Matow
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auleria is pretty hard to play if you can't follow what is going on. There's a lot of backtracking and going back and forth between places. I messed around with Auleria as well a few years back but didn't really do much other than translate most of the 1st area. I could give you any help for the first area if you want. I stopped playing it when you get to the the cave in the second part of the game that has enemies that can poison you. It's not a bad game but does suffer from the problem once you get to a certain level enemies stop appearing and it can be a problem if you need money.

I have no idea if Sorcerian is compressed but it's all 8X8 kana if I remember right which is generally a little harder to work with. There is a english version on one of the old computer systems but I don't remember which one anymore.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you guys have any save states from the game, that'd be great! The savestates need to be from mednafen, since that's the debugger I'm currently using for this project.

I'm stuck in the first area and not sure what to do. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this game, so I'm converting it to a SCD. I also have a 6x12 font setup that excited about and want to test out on this game. That way I don't have to break the 12x12 setup of the text display routine.

Right now, I changed the system to read single byte ascii instead of the 2byte S-JIS and writes the ascii equiv. 8x8 font from the system card to the 12x12 char space - hence the 4pixel space between chars in the pic.

Steve, I played Sorcerian for PC a long time ago. I think it ran in 640x200x16colors or something similar. The game was fun, but the animation and scrolling was choppy. I always wondered how the PCE version was incomparison.

Matow, you know... if you want to get back into the translation scene, I could take care of the text display routines and such for you Very Happy Very Happy

There is a problem of a translator, too. Akamichi from pcenginefx forums is translating for the SM2 project, but I'm not sure if he has enough time to take on larger projects (though he said he would help out) - I just don't want to pressure him into anything. He's been a great help though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: