MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Switching to other programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenki
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Switching to other programs Reply with quote

Is there a way to switch to other programs while magic engine is running in full screen? I noticed that if I try to alt-tab to another program, the window stays on top of everything. I have to end my game in order to use a different program.
Odonadon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to other programs Reply with quote

zenki wrote:
Is there a way to switch to other programs while magic engine is running in full screen? I noticed that if I try to alt-tab to another program, the window stays on top of everything. I have to end my game in order to use a different program.

Try the Windows key + D. Once at the Desktop, right-click the Magic Engine task bar entry and pick "minimize".

OD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zenki
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to other programs Reply with quote

It doesn't work. Once I right click on the task bar entry it just brings the window to the front again.

Odonadon wrote:
zenki wrote:

Try the Windows key + D. Once at the Desktop, right-click the Magic Engine task bar entry and pick "minimize".

OD
Danjuro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem when I used to display ME using the "extended window mode" trick. I had to play Magic Engine in OpenGL mode back then (was way faster for my GPU in 1024x768 ;). Plugging a CRT monitor, and switching to Direct X (and "real" full screen mode, incidently) fixed it, so try switching the video driver in the pce.ini file would be my guess.
Odonadon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, don't even worry about right-clicking it. Windows Key+D should be all you need to do to mimize MagicEngine.

Most programs that let you change resolution have this same problem. I think it's a Windows limitation. Switching doesn't always work, and doesn't always work right when coming from an app using a different resolution than your desktop.

Windows+D will do it for ya - I just tested and confirmed. Good luck!

OD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zenki
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the "extended window mode" trick? Which one is the video driver in the pce.ini file?

Danjuro wrote:
I had this problem when I used to display ME using the "extended window mode" trick. I had to play Magic Engine in OpenGL mode back then (was way faster for my GPU in 1024x768 Wink. Plugging a CRT monitor, and switching to Direct X (and "real" full screen mode, incidently) fixed it, so try switching the video driver in the pce.ini file would be my guess.
zenki
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Windows +D does is make my desktop go blank. I still can't switch to other programs.

Odonadon wrote:
Actually, don't even worry about right-clicking it. Windows Key+D should be all you need to do to mimize MagicEngine.

Most programs that let you change resolution have this same problem. I think it's a Windows limitation. Switching doesn't always work, and doesn't always work right when coming from an app using a different resolution than your desktop.

Windows+D will do it for ya - I just tested and confirmed. Good luck!

OD
Odonadon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. It's supposed to let you see your desktop (it should look EXACTLY like it does when you minimize all programs). You should see the other program you want to switch to sitting in the taskbar.

OD
Danjuro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The window trick is to specify "window" as the resolution, and stretch it to the full screen size using the "full" or "wide" options. High res full screen, sort of... There are some drawbacks though.

To change your video driver, just double click the pce.ini file and search for "DirectX". The next step should be pretty much straightforward ;)
zenki
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows +D works exactly like Windowsw +M, when I'm not using Magic Engine. When I'm using Magic Engine and I press Windows +M the screen becomes garbled but it shows me the taskbar. If I do Windows +D then instead of a garbled screen I get a black screen, with the taskbar showing at the bottom. The black screen covers the whole desktop except for the taskbar, and even if I click on the taskbar icons the black screen covers them.

Odonadon wrote:
Strange. It's supposed to let you see your desktop (it should look EXACTLY like it does when you minimize all programs). You should see the other program you want to switch to sitting in the taskbar.

OD
zenki
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: it works now Reply with quote

Nevermind, it works right now. I don't know what was wrong. I just uninstalled and installed some new programs and now it works right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: