MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Spriggan Mark2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Spriggan Mark2 Reply with quote

WIP....05%

As Nightwolve pointed out on another forum, the 16x16 font looks like crap. Anyway, I've located the tables/strings and decoded both for in-game intermissions. I've also found the text/strings for the cinemas - there just mostly names, but I still haven't found the tables for them yet. Still need to write a proggy to dump the text for translation and find someone who can - babelfish just isn't going to cut it Razz
Keranu
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit man, that's awesome! Very Happy Have you thought of translating any other games? (Not that translation Spriggan 2 isn't cool, because it is Wink )
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Spriggan Mark2 Reply with quote

Tomaitheous wrote:

WIP....05%

As Nightwolve pointed out on another forum, the 16x16 font looks like crap. Anyway, I've located the tables/strings and decoded both for in-game intermissions. I've also found the text/strings for the cinemas - there just mostly names, but I still haven't found the tables for them yet. Still need to write a proggy to dump the text for translation and find someone who can - babelfish just isn't going to cut it Razz
"Bush", of course Smile. Great news, by the way! We're very fortunate because a lot of stuff is brewing in the scene as of late Smile.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Bush", of course

You thinks that's funny? The second ship is called "Reagen". I'm not making this up! Laughing

Quote:
Have you thought of translating any other games?

Yes... but this game uses uncompressed S-JIS text. I'm just jumping into the translation and hacking scene, and trying to figure out compressed scripts without a debugger is pretty difficult and more time consuming.
Keranu
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand 'ya, you definitely wouldn't want some long RPG with compressed text as your first project!
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomaitheous wrote:
Quote:
"Bush", of course

You thinks that's funny? The second ship is called "Reagen". I'm not making this up! Laughing
It's funny, but in a sad way. The policies of the Reagan administration (and their effects, which we are still dealing with) are too painful to think about. Hopefully, "Reagan" is the name of an unjust, criminal boss in Spriggan 2 -- in which case, I will take great delight in seeing it go down in flames Smile.

My apologies to Mr. N's political sensibilities Smile.
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevek666 wrote:
The policies of the Reagan administration (and their effects, which we are still dealing with) are too painful to think about.

Yeah, like the fall of the Soviet Union, the Berlin Wall, the greatest economic boom here at home, standing up to Marxist-Communist trash wherever around the world they saw fit to spark their "revolutions," etc. Lots of painful stuff there. Let's see, Roosevelt left us with marginal tax rates at 90%, Kennedy later led the way with across-the-board tax rate reductions bringing them down to 70%, finally, little ole Reagan brought them way down to 28% where they've hovered ever since till Bush Senior and Clinton pushed 'em back up somewhat to around 34%. But oh yeah, gimme back the good ole days where 90% of my paycheck could be going to the federal government! I'd give anything for that! It's too painful right now! It's not right. They should be taking more of my money and giving it to the poor!

How about this, we'll make it pro-choice for you, how's that? If you think you're not taxed enough and want more of your paycheck to go to the government, to the poor, etc. just make the choice to pull out your check book, cut a check, and mail it to whatever charity of your liking, or to the government. There you go. See how great pro-choiceness can be? Wink

Quote:
My apologies to Mr. N's political sensibilities .

S'alright. The game by a professional developer taking the cheap shots is what bothers me more. Oh well. Makes me feel more justified in what I did with Xak III. Hell, I was playing some of the Exile audio tracks and I never noticed the heavy political overtones and attacks on that one. But I was apathetic and uninformed on the subject back then, so whatever was said didn't mean anything to me. I could enjoy the game and not really know what the hell Saddler was rambling about. Heh. It sort of ruins the experience listening to it now and knowing who was behind writing the storyline.

Anyway, Tomaitheous, you see that small 8x8 font that is used, like for ARGUS? Sometimes, there is a control code under 0x20 that can switch from the 16x16 font to the 8x8 font. That's IF the developers added support for this. So, what you should do is use only uppercase ASCII, and try prefixing it with each possible value, 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, ... up to 0x1F, etc. The 8x8 font only has uppercase tiles, so if there is such a code, make sure you're testing with uppercase characters. It's worth a shot, cause that is clearly horrible what you got there. And it is mostly a shooter, isn't it? It's unworthy of the trouble, really. But if you do have a code to switch to the 8x8 uppercase-only font, that would change things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightWolve wrote:
stevek666 wrote:
The policies of the Reagan administration (and their effects, which we are still dealing with) are too painful to think about.

Yeah, like the fall of the Soviet Union, the Berlin Wall, the greatest economic boom here at home...
I'll continue our discussion of this on the other forum we frequent Smile. I was teasing you, of course Smile.

Quote:
My apologies to Mr. N's political sensibilities .

S'alright. The game by a professional developer taking the cheap shots is what bothers me more...[/quote]I think you misunderstand me: I love that you have put a personal touch on the projects you do. It makes them that much more interesting / special. I don't want you to change anything. I would not have wanted WD to do things any differently, either.

I was simply explaining how I would react to "Bush" and "Reagan" battleships in a shooter. I think it would be fun to blow them up. In saying this, I knew I might antagonize you, so I threw out a disclaimer Smile.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what you should do is use only uppercase ASCII, and try prefixing it with each possible value, 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, ... up to 0x1F, etc.

Ohh..! I was staying away from anything below 0x7F as this is for character pic and text/string attributes, but 0x01 marks the begining of the string data so 0x02-0x1f should respond differently for the first byte of the S-JIS char. Thanks, I'll try that out.
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevek666 wrote:
I was teasing you, of course Smile.

Sure sure. Wink

Tomaitheous wrote:
Ohh..! I was staying away from anything below 0x7F as this is for character pic and text/string attributes, but 0x01 marks the begining of the string data so 0x02-0x1f should respond differently for the first byte of the S-JIS char. Thanks, I'll try that out.

Not an S-JIS character. I mean, try an ASCII string, but keep testing in that 0x01 - 0x1F range. Do the following tests:

0x03 HELLO WORLD
Change it, reload game, what happens?

0x04 HELLO WORLD

0x05 HELLO WORLD
0x1F HELLO WORLD

Like that. Sometimes the color of the string will change for example. And yes, one such value might flip the print routine to make it use that 8x8 system font so all the text printed thereafter will look like the ARGUS string. There's pausing the dialogue box, there's clearing it, then you have 0x0A + 0x0D, one of two, which would give you your new line, etc. It all depends on the developer though, so who knows what you'll get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paranoia Dragon
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy That's all I have to say for now.....except for, MORE TRANSLATIONS!!!!!
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

I spent the good part of 14 hours infront of the debugger with Spriggan 2 today. I managed to trace and isolate quite a bit of the functions for text display ingame. The font is fixed at 12x12 in the text window. It's pretty amazing how they managed to dynamically draw them into an 8x8 tile system on the fly, but it's also complicated with with so many nested jumps - makes my head hurt Sad

Some of the code looks it's been hacked/patched together as well (bug fixes?). There's even a bug in the text read function and it appears they bandaid fixed it by duplicating the first pointer value.

Looks like I'm going to have to write a replacement text to tile function. The good news is that fitting the lower case ascii won't be a problem, but finding out what control variables need to be updated for the parent functions to still function properly, will be a pain. Also, I'm stuck with 8x8 chars until I can write a custom font routine for 8x12 chars.

-Rich
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomaitheous wrote:
An update:

I spent the good part of 14 hours infront of the debugger with Spriggan 2 today. I managed to trace and isolate quite a bit of the functions for text display ingame. The font is fixed at 12x12 in the text window. It's pretty amazing how they managed to dynamically draw them into an 8x8 tile system on the fly, but it's also complicated with with so many nested jumps - makes my head hurt Sad

Some of the code looks it's been hacked/patched together as well (bug fixes?). There's even a bug in the text read function and it appears they bandaid fixed it by duplicating the first pointer value.

Looks like I'm going to have to write a replacement text to tile function. The good news is that fitting the lower case ascii won't be a problem, but finding out what control variables need to be updated for the parent functions to still function properly, will be a pain. Also, I'm stuck with 8x8 chars until I can write a custom font routine for 8x12 chars.

-Rich
Well, overall the news seems promising. Very interesting to read about how Naxat slapped a bandaid on the bug to fix it. Gotta meet those deadlines!
Odonadon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, I'm always excited about new translation projects, sometimes regardless if I care for the game or not Smile

Regarding band-aid solutions.... hey, if they work why not? Smile Besides, I doubt the developers thought their code would be scrutinized in 15 years, let alone by a 3rd (or 4th?) party Smile

OD

edit: didn't mean to sound like I don't care for this game, in fact this is one of the few non-English games I've actually engaged in and really enjoyed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odonadon wrote:
I have to agree, I'm always excited about new translation projects, sometimes regardless if I care for the game or not Smile

Regarding band-aid solutions.... hey, if they work why not? Smile Besides, I doubt the developers thought their code would be scrutinized in 15 years, let alone by a 3rd (or 4th?) party Smile

OD

edit: didn't mean to sound like I don't care for this game, in fact this is one of the few non-English games I've actually engaged in and really enjoyed!
You bastard! You don't like Spriggan Mark II? WTF!!!???

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: