MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Savestate naming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamIAm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Savestate naming Reply with quote

Just a little feature-addition proposal here. Most other good emulators out there have a system of naming the savestates of a game that makes it easy to deal with them. For example, they typically make a file for each savestate, name the file after the source ROM, and simply add the state's number to the file extension. When you have to make a large number of savestates, for whatever reason, this can make life easy. With MaginEngine, however, I'm not even sure which files in the ME folder are savestates and which are backup-RAM files. I think making an easy source-file based naming system for both savestates and CD backup-RAM would be very helpful for some users.

What do people think?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BRAM is either saved in backup.ram or in backup.dat, depending on the format (old or new) that you selected in your INI file.

You can store your savestates in a dedicated subfolder by modifying the following option in the INI file (I named it "Save" but you can of course name it whatever you want):

Code:
  ;
  ; saved games path
  ; --
  ;

saved_games="Save\"

Savestates for HuCard and TurboChip games are named after the ROM's name. Savestates for CD games are named after the CD ID (which, I agree, is not exactly user-friendly). MEFX already gives proper names to the FX savestates, so it will probably be implemented in ME as well.
SamIAm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that makes sense. When I was playing through Emerald Dragon, I made savestates at every animated cutscene so I could come back to them when I wanted to translate them, but I exceeded the limit within the emulator and I had to move some of them. This was a problem. That dedicated savestate path will help next time, though. Having the files names "Emerald Dragon.sav" or whatever would be awesome Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: