MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Daimakaimura (SGX) Debug Menu!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccovell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Daimakaimura (SGX) Debug Menu! Reply with quote

Hey folks, it's me again.

This one's really cool. I'll paste in what I wrote in the text file included with the IPS patch, available below.

A long time ago, I was playing this game on my SGX system, and I was fooling around with the expansion connector in the back by running a screwdriver across the pins. Of course, that's kind of a foolish thing to do, but one time when I was doing this, the game didn't crash, but a bunch of numbers appeared on-screen instead, and there was a cursor I could move around. I had found a map editor in Daimakaimura!

I wanted to find this map editor again, so I hacked my way through the game code. After a long time searching, I finally found some code that enables a debug menu, and some other code that draws this menu. After a bunch of hard work, I had this menu working in the game once again. It isn't normally accessible in the original game.

A quick explanation:

Move the cursor with U/D. Press I or RUN to confirm. Press II to cancel an option.

> GAME START starts the game as normal.
> STAGE SELECT allows you to select your starting stage.
> BG test is the aforementioned map editor. I don't understand it fully, but it lets you view only the background data for each level. The Pad moves a cursor around. Pressing I or II moves the cursor around more quickly. Holding Select+U/D/L/R alters the window/2nd background layer settings, sometimes masking the background. Pressing Select+I opens up the gate at the end of the level, but it also makes the gate appear at other points in the level. RUN exits the BG test.
> Sound is a regular sound test, as far as I can tell.
> SP test loads up a stage, but only shows the sprites in the stage. For some reason, only the sprites for stage 1 are shown. You can upgrade your armour (or change into a duck) by pressing RUN, and you can take away your armour by pressing Select, which also changes your current weapon.
> ENDING displays the ending montage (minus the music).
> OPTION takes you to the regular options menu available in the game.

This is just a hack, so it's by no means polished or fully working. If anyone else wants to improve upon it, be my guest!

And here's the patch in IPS format. Be sure to read the instructions.
http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/data/Daimakaimura_Debug.zip
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Daimakaimura (SGX) Debug Menu! Reply with quote

ccovell wrote:
... and I was fooling around with the expansion connector in the back by running a screwdriver across the pins. Of course, that's kind of a foolish thing to do, but one time when I was doing this, the game didn't crash, but a bunch of numbers appeared on-screen instead, and there was a cursor I could move around. I had found a map editor in Daimakaimura!
!!!! Smile !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Tips & Tricks All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: