MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Maison Ikkoku

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Maison Ikkoku Reply with quote

I thought I'd drop a blurb in here about a translation project I've been working on for WAAAYYY too long.... Maison Ikkoku.

I thought I had it completed back in 2003, but there were still bugs in it, and a few loose ends that I really didn't know what I was going to do about (title screen graphics, password entry page layout, etc.)

Anyway, I have secretly been working on this bit by bit in my spare time here and there since around New Year's, and I have reimplemented all of the old hacking, and covered all of the outstanding issues.

Matt (aka. filler) is busy playtesting, and editing the script where he feels it is warranted. I hear that he's found a few minor bugs, but I trust that I can fix them if they can be shown to me.

On top of that, Matt is in the process of creating a walkthrough and/or translating the manual... so there should be some good extras available by the time this gets released.

Oh, and one more tidbit for the translators-in-training... I am trying to document all of the bits and pieces of what went into the patch, and the different 'layers' that make up the patch.

So... watch this space. This one feels pretty close.
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the update and good luck with the rest of the project.
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Beta testing Reply with quote

OK, Matt tells me that this game has reached the point where it can be beta tested by people who are serious about testing. And then hopefully we can have a final release a few weeks later.

Matt has some walkthrough-type material prepared, to help people get further int he game if they get stuck (but I understand he himself hasn't completed it yet).

There may still be some hiccups with the English text, and also bugs in the display or progress of the game - but we're pretty comfortable that all of the show-stoppers are gone.

In order to clean up the last of the issues, I will need each volunteer to play through the game as far as humanly possible, watching for problems along the way.

* Don't volunteer if you think you won't enjoy this. *

When issues are found, I will need:
- a screenshot of the issue,
- a description of the issue, and
- a savepoint prior to the failure (and a description of how to proceed from the savepoint to get to the failure point).

I prefer Mednafen savestate files right now, because I expect I will need to use the debugger sometimes. However, if you can obtain a password for continuing the game, I will be equally happy with whatever emulator is chosen. (Honestly, I don't know how to get the game to provide a password - I have been hacking it far more than playing it... but there is a password entry screen, so there must be a way).

Please send me a PM to be considered for this. As a way of introducting yourself, please write a couple of sentences about why you would be a good tester for this game. Matt and I will both review these messages.

All volunteers will be considered, but not necessarily accepted on this closed beta.

Note: This is the first of hopefully several closed-BETAs I hope to do this year. I would like to continue working with the same people if they are helpful.
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Maison Ikkoku has (finally) been released.

http://www.romhacking.net/trans/724/

As far as we can see, there aren't any bugs - although the line-spacing is less than perfect (but I think the original is the same - it's just less obvious in Japanese).

We're calling this the 'version 1.0' release, realizing that we may produce a '1.1' if there are issues discovered in either the hacking or the script (however we haven't encountered any at this point).

Matt has some walkthrough materials in order to make significant progress in the game; hopefully he'll release them at some point.
But certainly if you get stuck, you can ask here.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job from both of you (ok, I'm a sucker for MI stuff).

Hopefully I'll find the time to give it a serious spin in the next few weeks.
duke4711
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I've never heard of the game myself, but whenever a PCE game is translated, I'm a happy man! I plan to give it a try within the next few days. Thanks again!!
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... it came to my attention that this patch was not compatible with MagicEngine... sorry about that.

The fix was easy - I had zeroed out all of the header bytes, without realizing that MagicEngine cares about them.

I have posted an update at www.romhacking.net, but I'm not sure when it will be approved by the moderators.

In the meantime, anybody with a hex editor can modify the very first byte of the file (ie. part of the header, before the ROM information) from a hex '00' to a hex '40' to get the proper value.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the ROM header is present ME will use it. I do some check to detect bad headers but it's very limited and when something wrong is detected the ROM is not loaded at all, it doesn't try to recover.
turbofan1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David whats the next project you are working on?.Now that you finally have Maison Ikkoku out of the way.
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have several projects on the go... but the one that I feel the most interest in (at the moment), is Cosmic Fantasy 1. This one is really early in the process, but I'm also doing the translation... so I can't estimate dates since it's a heavy load and my schedule is unpredictable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: