MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

The addams family (Streaming problems)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: The addams family (Streaming problems) Reply with quote

Good game, but it looks like there is some sync problems with streaming audio. This game uses streaming audio as there is obviously no disk activity like when a game uses red book audio. I can play the game but it sounds awful... Just thaught id leave a note Wink ...

Sounds exactly like the Sherlock holmes games...
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh... another one. ^^;

Does pressing TAB help a bit? I think it's a problem of frame rate, the emulator seems to slow down a lot when streaming audio is playing.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, pressing TAB did'nt make any difference at all, for The Addams family anyway, NOT for Sherlock Holmes ( I recently broke my bank and got myself a top-of-the-line Athlon XP 2100+ with everything else high end ). Ill try to test it on another PC ( I gave my old 500Mhz to a friend, this should work ).

To help you out, I think a nice feature 'technically' easy to implement is an FPS counter. A simple switch of some sort, either controlled by the keyboard or by the pce.ini file, should be enough...

So there you have it, NO changes whatsoever for The Addams family ( the game uses streaming audio only). As for Sherlock holmes it's different : the game 'allmost' runs fine using 1x1 pixels ( i'd say it's tolerable with my cpu ), but if I enable either 2x2 pixels with fullscreen, widescreen or 1x1 fullscreen the game slows down to a crawl...

So, a simple list of speed test Sherlock holmes :

1x1 pixels (small) : i'd say allmost full speed.
1x1 p. fullscreen (large) : allmost as good.
2x2 p. normal or fullscreen : not playable.
Any widescreen : really bad.

I can do more tests if you like, even on a large number of games, if I have it of course Wink ...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Sherlock Holmes Reply with quote

Whatever the screen mode, good ol' P3@620 would not let me run Sherlock Holmes 1/2 at full speed.

First of all, here we have two games which use 512x224. That could need some bandwidth. Second, the video itself is actually smooth on my system (well, smoother on my GF2 Ti than it was on my Rage128), but the streaming audio progressively lags behind the video, and comes the time when the game tries to resync the two by choping the audio off here and there.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the streaming audio progressively lags behind the video, and comes the time when the game tries to resync the two by choping the audio off here and there

Youre right. But for The Addams Family it's weird : the game's speed is perfect but the audio lags Confused . Weird if you ask me...

Is there a 'debug' function in ME? other than the (sometimes) usefull log.txt?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean there's ingame streaming audio? Could it be that the ingame music itself is PCM? I don't get it... It's a platform game, right? (^^;

I'm curious to see that... I'll try to get my hands on it.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. The game is a good 'ol 2d ( hand drawn, in the same way icom did ther character designs back then ( wich I like ) ) platformer. And the music is pcm. It could run fine IF the game whould'nt try to catch up to the music... as it goes, the game runs smoothly, up to the point where the audio sounds really bad and then gameplay lags to let the sound catch up. When this happens it becomes quite hard to control the main character Sad .

Meanwhile, I still have my maps for this game ( not that its a maze game, but a lot of color keyed doors and different pathways for the dungeons ). Ill try to scan them somewhere and upload them so I can post them in the Tips & Tricks section Cool ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: