MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Running Dracula X on Mac OS X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Running Dracula X on Mac OS X Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
First of all, thanks to the creators of the Magic Engine; it is a really cool emulator. I'm a new user of ME and am having trouble figuring out how to get Dracula X to run. I'm using Mac OS X and have the cue, mp3, and iso files all copied onto my hardrive.

I've looked over the posts on this forum for information on how to get the game to work. So far, I've converted all of the mp3 files into a wav format and edited the cue sheet making the appropriate changes (.mp3 to .wav).

I'm confused about what I should be doing next. So, reading the posts I guess Mac users can't mount the CD image using Toast and have to burn a CD. These are probably stupid questions, but how do I get the CD image into a bin/cue format and what files exactly am I supposed to burn onto a CD using SimplyBurns?

If I can get Dracula X working, I'll definitely be purchasing ME immediately. Thank you very much for your help; I appreciate it.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Running Dracula X on Mac OS X Reply with quote

AZ wrote:
Hi Everyone,
First of all, thanks to the creators of the Magic Engine; it is a really cool emulator. I'm a new user of ME and am having trouble figuring out how to get Dracula X to run. I'm using Mac OS X and have the cue, mp3, and iso files all copied onto my hardrive.

I've looked over the posts on this forum for information on how to get the game to work. So far, I've converted all of the mp3 files into a wav format and edited the cue sheet making the appropriate changes (.mp3 to .wav).

I'm confused about what I should be doing next. So, reading the posts I guess Mac users can't mount the CD image using Toast and have to burn a CD. These are probably stupid questions, but how do I get the CD image into a bin/cue format and what files exactly am I supposed to burn onto a CD using SimplyBurns?

If I can get Dracula X working, I'll definitely be purchasing ME immediately. Thank you very much for your help; I appreciate it.

Just put all your files in a folder somewhere, start Simplyburns, choose Burn Image then select which cue file you want as the sourcefile. It'll do the rest.

(You'll probably hate me for this, but I think when I tried burning Dracula X years ago, before I broke down and bought a used retail version of the game on ebay, I left the audio files in .mp3 format and SB had no troubles with them.)

Last edited by Joel Schmidt on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:33 am; edited 4 times in total
nat
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long-time OS X user, I can tell you with confidence it is downright impossible to burn TurboGrafx/PCE rips under OS X. It's not a limitation of the hardware or OS-- it's just nobody has ever written a program that supports it.

The only way to do it on a Mac is to install a copy of Windows XP under either Parallels or Boot Camp and use Nero or a similar program.

This is what I do when I need to make a backup and it works great. Unfortunately, it requires you have a copy of Windows. And until someone gets around to writing an OS X program to burn Turbo ISO/CUE sets it is your only solution.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nat wrote:
As a long-time OS X user, I can tell you with confidence it is downright impossible to burn TurboGrafx/PCE rips under OS X. It's not a limitation of the hardware or OS-- it's just nobody has ever written a program that supports it.

The only way to do it on a Mac is to install a copy of Windows XP under either Parallels or Boot Camp and use Nero or a similar program.

This is what I do when I need to make a backup and it works great. Unfortunately, it requires you have a copy of Windows. And until someone gets around to writing an OS X program to burn Turbo ISO/CUE sets it is your only solution.

As a long time OS X user and AppleSeed beta tester, I can say with even more confidence that what nat has posted is not true. The unix command cdrdao has no problems burning PCE/TG ISO/CUE sets. And for users that prefer a point and click gui instead of command-line terminal, try SimplyBurns (I've used this program for almost 2 years now to burn PCE/TG cds I downloaded to test with ME). Supposedly Burn works also, but I don't think I have ever tried that one.

Now, the one thing that can not be done on OS X is mounting PCE/TG disc images. That is because no one has ever written a Daemon Tools type program for OS X. But even that might be a thing of the past. There is a program for linux called AcetoneISO2 that mounts images. The devlopers have stated "...it will be easy to port AcetoneISO to other non-Linux systems, but we still don't know if we'll never do that!". Maybe if we all ask them nicely they will do an OS X version.
nat
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, feel free to post a command line that will burn a Turbo ISO/CUE set under OS X.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nat wrote:
In that case, feel free to post a command line that will burn a Turbo ISO/CUE set under OS X.

Joel Schmidt wrote:
The unix command cdrdao

There is a reason I have been recommending the use of SimplyBurns for several months now. I hate command-line. I used it once, got a headache working out all the syntaxs, switches, file locations, etc; then found simplyburns and have never looked back.

But I might have posted the directions on here previously. Try searching the forums... oh and Google is your friend.
nat
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Googled this issue countless times over the years, asked on every forum under the sun, consulted with God himself, etc. If there were any kind of instructions out there I think I would have found them. This is the first I've heard of any evidence to the contrary. As a matter of fact, I've probably wasted days and days of my life on this situation and created 50 or so coasters.

I've never heard of SimplyBurns, I'll look into it.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nat wrote:
created 50 or so coasters.

That's why you should make trial copies using RW discs until you get the process perfected. ME has no problems seeing those kinds of discs as real PCE/TG CDs
leethomson
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think I could do with some help here. I've used both Simplyburns, and Burn, to try creating CDs of Dracula X and Super Raiden, but keep running into the same problem.

I have mp3s, isos and a cue file. I have used both Switch and iTunes to convert the mp3s to wav, checked the number of channels and bit rate, made sure the file names used in the cue match exactly, including case, to the track names in my folder, and then selected to Burn Image in SB, or Copy in Burn, dragged the cue file to the source area, and let it start. The first track (wav) seems to burn okay, but when the iso should start to burn, both apps skip straight to the "finishing burn" stage and throw up an error message:

The burn to the MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815A drive failed. There was an error producing data for the burn.

Any idea what's happening here, and how to work around it? I am using OS X 10.5.1. Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: