MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

strategy rpgs for PCE-CD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wachenroder
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: strategy rpgs for PCE-CD Reply with quote

anyone have a list of strategy rpgs for the PCE-CD?

I can't think of any other than Langrisser
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...
Check out http://www.pcecp.com - the advanced search should probably help, though it's probably not a sure-fire hit for this type of search.

That's a kind of a strange genre, in that different people might classify certain games differently than each other. I mean, does Daisenryaku qualify (probably not) ? How about a RPG where you choose your battles, but they aren't grid-based ?

Certainly anything "Nobunaga" by Koei, or "Sankokushi" (by anyone) should fit that classification though. However, those are so closley tied to Japanese history that none of them came to North America, and they'd be difficult to translate or even play without studying their history.

I'd say check these out (A-G):
Alshark
Aoki Ookami To Shiroki Mejika
Arunama no Kiba (maybe)
Benkei Gaiden (maybe)
Cyber Knight (depends on your definition of strategy)
Eikan wa Kimi ni (maybe)
Eiyuu Sankokushi
Gaia no Monsho
Wachenroder
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Shadoff wrote:
Hmm...
Check out http://www.pcecp.com - the advanced search should probably help, though it's probably not a sure-fire hit for this type of search.

That's a kind of a strange genre, in that different people might classify certain games differently than each other. I mean, does Daisenryaku qualify (probably not) ? How about a RPG where you choose your battles, but they aren't grid-based ?

Certainly anything "Nobunaga" by Koei, or "Sankokushi" (by anyone) should fit that classification though. However, those are so closley tied to Japanese history that none of them came to North America, and they'd be difficult to translate or even play without studying their history.

I'd say check these out (A-G):
Alshark
Aoki Ookami To Shiroki Mejika
Arunama no Kiba (maybe)
Benkei Gaiden (maybe)
Cyber Knight (depends on your definition of strategy)
Eikan wa Kimi ni (maybe)
Eiyuu Sankokushi
Gaia no Monsho

something like Langrisser, Fire Emblem, or Shining Force. but not a straight out military game like Nectaris or Daisenryaku.

Other than Langrisser, I've found Solid Force (seems to be a sci-fi themed one), and Kisou Louga series.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try Sword Master from Right Stuff.
runinruder
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Langrisser, then you should certainly enjoy Macross Eternal Love Song.
Black_Tiger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can handle some of those not-so-RPGish sims, then you might as well try Neo Nectaris. Its a great game and your units gain EXP on each map.

Another game that looked similar to Macross ELS is Lady Phantom. But I only sampled both and it was a long time ago.

Record of Lodoss War and Order of the Griffon are more on the RPG side, but are probably more like strategy rpgs than most of the war sims mentioned.
tlm70
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly vouch for Macross ELS. I've played it many times over the past several years and never grow tired of it. I've found it best to play maybe once a year or so with gives me time to forget about some of the traps set by the enemy forces to make the game a bit more thrilling and challenging.
As a Macross/Robotech fan, I find that the ability to transform your Valkyrie/Veritech into the three different configurations and the affect of each configuration in various situations makes for quite a unique twist compared to similar strategy games. For instance, I just recently discovered in the game that although the battroid/battloid mode (the one that looks most like a human figure) is regarded as the slowest in terms of traversing from one place to another in and above the atmosphere it does prove to be extremely fast when used wherever there are unobstructed and well paved roads.
Although the speech and storyline is in Japanese it doesn't seem to take away from the strategy gaming experience with a touch of character development similar to the Langrisser series. Translation would be nice but it's not needed to have fun with this game. I just wish more Macross strategy games incorporated the transforming mecha in the same way as Macross ELS does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: